Page 15 of 30 « First<1314151617>Last »
Topic Options
#50486 - 03/05/11 05:11 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: TheInsane]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: TheInsane
I almost never read fiction and pretty much only read philosophical, religious, science or political books. However recently I went from the heavy books to the most light weight you can imagine. I recently picked up drawing again. I havent really done it since I was 10 years old or so. Back then I was hugely influenced by super heroes so I recently decided to check out some of the classics.

I just finished "Batman: Year One" and I will continue with "The dark knight returns" and "Watchmen". Its so alien to what I usually read but I do enjoy it. It brings back childhood memories and I try to learn from studying the graphics.

I'm not familiar with BY1, but, as one of the cops in The Dark Knight Returns says to his rookie partner upon encountering Bats, "We're in for a show, kid." With this one book Frank Miller transformed Batman from the worn-down-to-slapstick image of the 1960s TV show to, well, what he's become since.

In the area of "light reading": I used to ignore the bodice-ripper section of bookstores until one day recently in the Travis AFB BX, when I was bored with some time to kill. All I can say is Jesus H! - If this is what's boiling within women's fantasies these days, we XYs are in deep trouble. Particularly when you get into the vampire & werewolf stories. Forget about Playboy & Penthouse ...

Heck, you don't have to go much further than the cover art to get the drift - and the hint that most of us men need to spend considerably more time at the gym ...

#50490 - 03/05/11 05:42 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
TheInsane Offline

I read B:Y1 and while good it didnt strike me as anything that specia. However so far I have been really enjoying DKR. There is something about the story that really grabs me and while the drawings certainly are a large part I am still not a big fan of the drawing style used in this book. That tells me something about how good the story is.

On the note of drawings I so far much enjoy the art of The Marvels Project. It is amazing and just the type of drawings I would love to be able to create.

Otherwise I used to like Spawn when I was younger. The art is fascinating and parts of the story pretty interesting. I re-read the first few issues a while back and it did grab me quite a bit when going through the mental problems Spawn goes through in recovering his memories and all that comes with it. I always had a hard time for the hard core dualist religious thread which runs through the series though.

#52733 - 04/12/11 04:28 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Extrinsic Offline
stranger

Loc: Midwest, USA
The Satanic Scriptures, again.

Also "Structure of atonal music" by Allen Forte.

Plus books about Saxophone technique and sound producing basics by Larry Teal and Sigurd Rascher, respectively.

#53090 - 04/18/11 03:58 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Extrinsic]
GregNotCraig Offline
stranger

Loc: Mesa, AZ, USA
I used to read voraciously - a book a week sometimes. That tapered off,but as of late, I'm back in to it again.

Corey Doctorow essays are what I'm currently digging in to. They're available in the public domain or otherwise free and make good reads on my smart phone when I get tired of playing "Angry Birds".

On my read-again list are Plato, Sacher-Masoch (specifically "Venus In Furs" - which I enjoy immensely likely due to the character "Severin" being the polar opposite of myself) and some Heinlein.

#54396 - 05/12/11 11:10 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ceruleansteel]
cash20 Offline
stranger

I mostly read online stuff but recently I just finished the book behind the Heavens Gate group called "How and when to enter heavens gate". It gave real insight to the groups agenda and why they chose to "exit" there vehicles(bodies). Although the core teaching was a bit like a Neo-Christianity the philosophy made sense.

I also like to find out whats being read by the most people to see why and how this mainstream psycho-babble somehow makes so much money especially the best-seller "self-help books". The comedy behind them is priceless. Maybe its just me but some of these you could literally headline a whole comedy tour just reading excerpts from these piles of shit. I like what billy bob Thornton's character says in school for scoundrels "you can't help yourself cause yourself sucks". Maybe I'll wright that book.

Edited by cash20 (05/12/11 11:12 PM)

#55333 - 06/01/11 11:26 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: cash20]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: cash20
I mostly read online stuff but recently I just finished the book behind the Heavens Gate group called "How and when to enter heavens gate". It gave real insight to the groups agenda and why they chose to "exit" there vehicles(bodies).

That sounds interesting, I didn't know about the book but have always been mildly interested in the case and have intended to look a bit more deeply into it for quite some time.

As for me:

1). In Pursuit of Jack the Ripper: An Introduction to the Whitechapel Murders ~Robert Snow

2). The Trillion Dollar Conspiracy ~ Jim Marrs
3). Aquino's Church of Satan.

#56714 - 07/11/11 07:42 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ceruleansteel]
LeftHandOvGod Offline
stranger

Liber AL vel Legis (The Book of the Law) - Aleister Crowley
#56736 - 07/12/11 06:06 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
Anubisstar Offline
stranger

Loc: Canada
I am reading Hell House by Richard Matheson. It has an interesting plot and believable characters.

I will be reading the Black Prism by Brent Weeks and Seth, God of Confusion: A Study of His Role in Egyptian Mythology and Religion by H. TE VELDE.

#56752 - 07/13/11 08:43 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Anubisstar]
Managor Offline

TCOS by Mr. Aquino. Just read TSB and I want to see Aquino's views of it.
#56845 - 07/14/11 10:36 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Managor]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
Not to jump on the Dr. Aquino bandwagon, but I am also reading on of his works... The Book of Coming Forth by Night.

I opened a couple boxes I kept in storage and I was very happy to say the least on my findings. I had received this package when I lived in Washington State and because of the circumstances I decided it best to move and the boxes were never opened. It was dated Apr 22, 2002.

There is a second from Dr. Aquino within I plan to read after BoCFbN, it's The Diabolicon.

#61039 - 11/04/11 02:10 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Octavian Offline
pledge

I always have a pile of books on my desk at home. I pick something up and put it down and pick something else up, looking for something which really grabs me.

At the moment I am reading The Satanic Screen by Nikolas Schreck, which is quite good. I am still waiting to receive Flowers from Hell, edited by Schreck, which I think will be good as well.

I have a copy of the Glass Bead Game by Hesse handy and I am thinking about delving into that thing again. I find that game to be brilliant.

I also want to read some more of Edredís stuff (and explore the Word Runa in some detail). I have some of Edredís stuff lying on the desk and it is looking at me rather impatiently right now.

I would also like to read some more Evola. There is a lot I want to read.

#61044 - 11/04/11 04:55 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Octavian]
TheInsane Offline

I am still in a political phase in my book reading and I have started on 2 books and have a third waiting.

Against Democracy and Equality[i] by Tomislav Sunic - A book that was originally a doctoral dissertation in the late 80's on the New Right movement - its history and its ideology. I warmly recomend this.O'Mearas [i]New Culture, New Right is perhaps more substancial but also alot heavier and more dry to read. Sunics book fits better as an introduction.

Sverigedemokraterna In PŚ Bara Skinnet by Pontus Mattsson. A book on the Swedish cultural nationalistic party the Sweden Democrats. It is based on magazine articles (typically fast produced book) and as such it can be repeating itself frequently. I havnt gotten that far yet but it seems relatively objective and it follows the party from the foundation years to 2010. So far its alright.

Reflection on the Revolution in France by Edmund Burke. A classic of its kind. I havent started this one yet but I will soon enough. Looking forward to it alot \:\)

#61045 - 11/04/11 07:38 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: TheInsane]
Wicked Satanist Offline

Loc: Michigan
I am currently reading the Eddie Trunk's Essential Hard Rock And Heavy Metal book. It's a great read. He's been a Radio DJ for 25 years now and the Host on the VH1 show That Metal Show. He is quite literally an encyclopedia of ANYTHING rock and roll or heavy metal. The man is awesome.

and

Red by Sammy Hagar. It's his autobiography that details his life in music and it leaves no one guessing what happened. I haven't read much of it yet but the reviews are split down the middle between those who love Van Halen and those who hate them. I'm looking forward to finishing it and letting you know whats going on.

#61048 - 11/04/11 09:45 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Wicked Satanist]
Goliath Offline
pledge

My copies of The Romantic Agony by Mario Paz and Lucifer and Prometheus by R J Zwi Werblowsky arrived together in the mail this morning. \:\)

But I don't know when I'll get a chance to read them. \:\(

Right now most of my reading is work-related. In my spare time, for enjoyment, I'm reading Johannes Cabal: The Detective, which is the second book in a series about a steampunk necromancer. I'm hoping to be done that by Tuesday, when Umberto Eco's new novel, The Prague Cemetery, is released.

#61122 - 11/05/11 04:13 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Goliath]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I've been slowly continuing John Zorn's Arcana series (I mentioned waaay back in this thread when I started) They're collections of writings about music from outsider or unconventional musicians. Mostly it covers a lot about ethnomusicology and cross-cultural composition.

I also just finished the Real Frank Zappa book. It's partly an autobiography and partly random talks on things from the horse's mouth. It was a very amusing and pleasurable read if you like Zappa's unique sense of humor. Personally I think a lot like Zappa, probably much more so than any of the 'great thinkers' I admire. Not to mention how he was, as far as I know, the only popular rock musician of the 60s that completely ridiculed and mocked the hippy movement.

I was excited to dive into the Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick but was actually pretty disappointed with it. Mitnick is fascinating to listen to in interviews and his stories are hilarious and really insightful into how to get people to do some incredibly stupid things with a few simple social tricks. But this book was full of uninteresting examples of what would be obvious to say and do even if you've never read a page about social engineering. I had to put this one down. Maybe his other, the art of intrusion, is better. If I recall correctly that one is a compilation of real submitted stories from social engineering hackers. For that matter maybe it's better to check out the best of 2600 instead?

I've been off any fiction for a while so I've been considering picking up Steven King's Dark Tower series. I've heard it's pretty good and I've never read any King before.

Page 15 of 30 « First<1314151617>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.005 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.