Page 4 of 30 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#22141 - 03/17/09 07:31 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: NihilisticMystic]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
 Originally Posted By: NihilisticMystic
Currently I'm re-reading The Stranger by Albert Camus,

I fekkin' LOVE that book! I didn't even know it existed until I paused "Jacob's Ladder" to see what the hell he was reading while on the bus.

Quote:
Jean-Paul Sartre

Reading Sartre is like reading Joseph Oreilly....

Edited by ceruleansteel (03/17/09 07:35 AM)

#22150 - 03/17/09 03:05 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: ceruleansteel]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
Reading Sartre is like reading Joseph Oreilly....

Yes, except for the fact that Sartre actually had something to say. And I doubt if J.O. would be able to nail Simone Bouvier.

#22178 - 03/18/09 02:28 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
The Antagonist Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
Has anyone read "The God Delusion"? If so, did you like it?

I will be reading that book soon . . . once it arrives to my local library. I read all my books from my local library, and if I like them, I end up going to the bookstore to buy them.

Currently, I'm reading books from my classes (Anthropology and Sociology):
1. Religions In Practice: An Approach to the Anthropology of Religion
2.Latino Los Angeles: Transformations, Communities, And Activism
3.Latino/a Popular Culture

Edited by The Antagonist (03/18/09 02:31 AM)

#22188 - 03/18/09 05:09 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: The Antagonist]
ceruleansteel Offline

I love sociology/psychology/et al. books.

I don't know if you go to a local bookstore or not, but unless (you are like me and simply love your local bookstore person) but you can find anything cheaper online. Damn, I feel like a Benedict Arnold saying that...

I have totally been a traitor to the lady at the "booke shoppe" who knows me by face, name, and credit card...and never fails to ask about my family by name...even when it's been three years since I was last in...

I wonder, that being said, if a bookswap would be feasible here? Because it really is difficult for me to look at her and tell her that my toddler is getting better at pronouncing letter "B", then ask if she has a copy of TSW available...

#22445 - 03/23/09 11:40 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Grandpabeast]
Rasha Offline
stranger

I am flipping through "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I have read through it many times. It is a great read if you enjoy controlling your environment.
#22780 - 04/02/09 11:38 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Rasha]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Loyalty Rules! from Harvard Business School Press, written by Frederick F. Reichheld.

It's a very good book, picked it up for a 1.00 at the local thrift store. The book is about tapping into loyalty, one of the greatest threats to one's enemies (in the case of standing armies) as well as the hallmark of success in today's fast economy. Surprising? Man's done his research, here's the six principles he outlines in the beginning of the book:

1. Play to win/win (profiting at the expense of partners is a shortcut to a dead end)
2. Be Picky. (Membership is a privilege)
3. Keep it Simple. (Complexity is the enemy of speed and responsiveness)
4. Reward the right results (worthy partners deserve worthy goals)
5. Listen hard, talk straight. (long term relationsips require honest, two-way communication and learning)
6. Preach what you practice. (Actions often speak louder than words, but together they are unbeatable)

to support these asserted principles he goes on to tell the stories of the companies which exemplified one or all of these rules, all of whom are great employers and highly profitable businesses, Enterprise, Dell, Harley-Davidson.

In particular I noted rule 3. is supported by chaos theory - massive, complex systems are unpredictable and will eventually lead to a cascading collapse. (Hey, U.S. economy 2009 anyone??)

Furthermore the Satanic quality of being picky about customers, employees and investment partners is undeniable I think - he goes into detail on this particularily in Dell's model of cockblocking newbies from buying any resources from them, instead expecting Compaq and HP to pick up the new customer business.

I'm only half-way through but it affirms a few ideas I've had about business marketing and also digs the dirt on some reputable companies worth looking into for jobs.

The advice given out here comes from leaders who have more than enough wealth to go around - companies that accrue billions a year and waste no time with pompous grandstanding. No bullshit.

#22821 - 04/02/09 08:46 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: 97and107]
Morbid Rex Offline

I picked up a few new books from Barnes & Noble.

I recently finished The Outsider by Colin Wilson and started up For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#22824 - 04/02/09 09:00 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Morbid Rex]
cheryablinsk70 Offline
stranger

I'm rereading the Art of War and starting on Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I'm actually a bit embarrassed that I haven't read it yet, considering how much I'm interested in Existentialist and Nihilist thinkers...

I have been reading a bit of Sartre lately though, that's always enjoyable.

#22838 - 04/02/09 10:48 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
JohnMichaelArisp Offline
lurker

Hi, My name is John Michael Arispe. I have been reading Witchcraft by Ly De Angeles. I haave also been reading a Book about The Night Stalker by Philip Carlo. I have read Mein Kamph.
Besides that I made the Book. I figured out that my Brother in law John Garza became a Jew & that has history given him, I am a traveling Stone. I change through times.

#22841 - 04/02/09 11:31 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: JohnMichaelArisp]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Yes, you have read, but have you understood?

Generally, when talking about books, art, music, we say a few things about them which has enriched our understanding of ourselves, the world, or...anything. For instance, what were some interesting points you found in Mein Kampf? What do you agree or disagree with, and why? You gave a useless list of books, followed by some gibberish. Your eyes may move over the page, but without assimilation and comprehension, it seems a useless gesture.

Homo Homini Lupus

#22842 - 04/02/09 11:51 PM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Draculesti]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
I read the Mein Kampf...dry reading, that one...

It didn't seem to have much substance to it and I'm used to plowing through dense texts - it was a little like eating a whole pail of popcorn compared to any number of philosophical texts I've picked up which come across more like a grisly steak...NIETZSCHE, for example...

Nietzsche wasn't half the narcissist Hitler was so I think that makes the difference. 'course I havn't read it in about five years so I could be forgetting...it just felt like Nietzsche loved to think and he loved laying out his thoughts to think even deeper...

I do love some Nietzsche...could be masochistic...he had some good points. great points. And Christians hate him (and complain a great deal more) about him, so must be some good devilry in his shit...

Hitler is a prime example not to follow your hunches blindly...wait a few months, think it over...better answers will come...imagine if he had harnessed the jews to build nuclear weapons instead of torturing them in the gas chambers. Hell...Hitler could have started Satanism if he wasn't in such a hurry to think superior genotype was as simple as appearances, culture, religion, morals...the error was worse than useless. imho Lavey got it right...and put it into writing. It's a transhumanistic movement.

p.s: HAHAHHAA America wins you fuckers!!! \:\)

#22845 - 04/03/09 12:50 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Zoid]
ceruleansteel Offline

"Picket Lines and Bargaining Tables" -- Thomas R. Brooks
"Tom Brown's Field Guide to City and Suburban Survival"
FM 5-25

Edited by ceruleansteel (04/03/09 12:51 AM)

#22848 - 04/03/09 01:19 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: 97and107]
cheryablinsk70 Offline
stranger

I'd like to pose a question here, since there's a lot of talk of Hitler and Nietzsche going on in this thread. Do you think that Hitler could have misunderstood Nietzche's concept of the Ubermensch, and that might have influenced his eugenics programs?

Just curious to hear your opinion.

#22851 - 04/03/09 01:25 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: cheryablinsk70]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
NO, This is a thread for what people are reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a question in regards to philosophy....
Post it in the Philosophy section.

Fuck!!!!!!
Just read more, and think before you post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morgan

#22852 - 04/03/09 01:37 AM Re: What are you reading right now? [Re: Morgan]
cheryablinsk70 Offline
stranger

It's related to what I and other people are currently reading. For example, I'm reading "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", which illustrates that same Ubermensch concept.

Apparently I was mistaken in my assumption that it was related enough. I appreciate your advice that this is not the appropriate thread for my question, and I'm sorry if I have caused any damage to this thread by posting it. I do not, however, appreciate your hostility towards me, and I would like to inform you that I do, in fact, think before I post.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Page 4 of 30 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.