Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#20408 - 02/15/09 01:19 AM John Gary Brown
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland

John Gary Brown

I first found out about this artist when I first came to the Peabody Conservatory. The conservatory has quite a collection of art, and one of Brown's paintings is among them. It is called "To Kiss the Dust of Their Mouths," from a line in a Dylan Thomas poem (I'm sorry I don't have a picture of this particular painting). It is a shame that it is tucked away in a little hallway off of the main stacks area on the second floor; hardly anyone goes there, and I only found it through a combination of curiosity and a need for a bathroom (which is, incidentally, where the hallway leads).

While he is an abstract artist, what strikes me most about his work is his use of color. He definitely has a color scheme for the background of the painting, but he juxtaposes that with colors of the complete opposite end of the spectrum, resulting in stark contrasts, which is, of course, how he makes his shapes. He also very cleverly titles his paintings, like the one mentioned above, which seems as though the line of poetry inspired the painting instead of the other way around. Jackson Pollock this is not.

Homo Homini Lupus

#20410 - 02/15/09 01:38 AM Re: John Gary Brown [Re: Draculesti]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I like it, movement, feeling, and sound.
Is what I see.

M

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.015 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.