Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#20574 - 02/17/09 02:11 AM Vatican & Darwin
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I am suprised that no one brought this up....

From Feruary 11th,

"The Vatican has admitted that Charles Darwin was on the right track when he claimed that Man descended from apes.

A leading official declared yesterday that Darwin’s theory of evolution was compatible with Christian faith, and could even be traced to St Augustine and St Thomas Aquinas. “In fact, what we mean by evolution is the world as created by God,” said Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture. The Vatican also dealt the final blow to speculation that Pope Benedict XVI might be prepared to endorse the theory of Intelligent Design, whose advocates credit a “higher power” for the complexities of life...."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5705331.ece

Any comments????

Morgan

#20575 - 02/17/09 02:48 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Morgan]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Oh of course they would say that, now. Times are changing, more and more people are seeing through all the theological bullshit. In order to stay afloat the churches themselves have to evolve. By saying that Darwin was right, all of the sudden, they are obviously trying to trick more people into beliving all their lies.

Give it time and the church will take full credit for the theory of evolution, saying it was outlined in scripture the whole time.

#20576 - 02/17/09 03:23 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

If you read the article, they already started to do that by comparing it with earlier saints writings.

Kinda like, oh, okay, wait a minute, you mean this here, well, we said that very same thing right here, and that predates Darwin by ohh a few hundred years....

M

Edited by Morgan (02/17/09 03:24 AM)
Edit Reason: add on

#20579 - 02/17/09 03:45 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Science and logic have shot holes through the lies perpetuated by the church for eons, and they've twisted and turned all of their original bullshit to compliment whatever irrefutable fact that pops up to blow their theories out of the water.

If you can't beat them, join them- not 100%, just enough for the masses to swallow the idea that "it was all a part of god's plan in the first place", and "to keep believing, as it is all unfolding as it should'

I agree with 6S6A6 - give it a bit of time, and the church will be taking full credit for the Theory of Evolution- the truth is all too glaringly obvious, and they have to keep their sheeple in line somehow- the old bullshit they were peddling just isn't cutting it any more...

#20583 - 02/17/09 05:12 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Morgan]
Zoid Offline

Loc: USA - New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: Morgan
The Vatican also dealt the final blow to speculation that Pope Benedict XVI might be prepared to endorse the theory of Intelligent Design, whose advocates credit a “higher power” for the complexities of life...."

The Vatican's apparent rejection of intelligent design is interesting to me. I am speculating, therefore, that their thinking will be, approximately, "God in His foreknowledge knew that the forces of mutation and natural selection would lead eventually to the biosphere we know today, with man at its pinnacle."

I am curious to see if they will endorse abiogenesis, the emergence of life from non-life via strictly natural processes.

The Catholic Church has greater freedom of movement in this whole area than the Protestants, because the Catholics have never tried to push forward the bible as the sole source of truth. For them it is pre-eminent but it isn't by any means all there is, and they have always been willing to give great prominence to doctrines that owe almost nothing to the bible, such as Mary's Immaculate Conception or Mary's Assumption into Heaven.

Thanks for the link, Morgan.

#20588 - 02/17/09 05:39 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Morgan]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Does this imply the pope admits god is a monkey?

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...

D.

#20635 - 02/17/09 07:09 PM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Diavolo]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
Did they forget that "god" made man seperate from the animals? Apperently because he, in all his creativity and power, was to lazy and just not creative enough to come up with all those names. It is a tedious task I would think.

#20648 - 02/17/09 08:30 PM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Diavolo]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Who knows, after all this current Pope was a member of Hitler's Youth.

"Darwin’s theories had never been formally condemned by the Roman Catholic Church, Monsignor Ravasi insisted. His rehabilitation had begun as long ago as 1950, when Pius XII described evolution as a valid scientific approach to the development of humans. In 1996 John Paul II said that it was “more than a hypothesis”."

So maybe now God is Monkey, and Planet of the Apes is their model?

Morgan

#20685 - 02/18/09 03:35 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Morgan]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

They had to admit anyways, one can't win against science. But they always have their First Cause, so essentially, they will always be able to insert god somewhere.

We can't answer what started life and they know that.

D.

#20716 - 02/18/09 10:48 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Morgan]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
 Originally Posted By: Morgan
So maybe now God is Monkey, and Planet of the Apes is their model?

At 13 my mother had a massive heart attack and survived... This caused her to go back to religion, also forcing me to now become a good little christian...

At 13 I had already built up my belief structure on science with minimal influence of religion, so to say the least I had a lot of questions... One question I asked 30 years ago was simply if we know man came from the apes how did god create man in his own image... The answer " how do we know what god looks like he may very well be ape"...

So this is really old news to me... Funny it is becoming mainstream...

~T~

#20930 - 02/21/09 03:33 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: ta2zz]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
No. Not from Apes. And I like Apes, Orang-Utans, Gorillas, Chimpanzees... no, I don't believe in this evolutionary process.

Neaderthal man existed... and then Homeo Sapiens, but they coexisted for a time, I imagine. And no "fucking" took place? I can't imagine. Look at the governor of Califormia.

The more redundant, and stupid answer is: "If man evolved frome apes... why are there still apes?"

Homo Sapiens were totally and completely a different creature...from the previous "identity" of "mankind". You could say they migrated from Africa, hence the birthplace of all living people, I guess. I'm going to quit at this point.

Anyone have any good books on this subject?

#20934 - 02/21/09 04:08 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: daevid777]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Origin of species?
Maybe searching a bit about the definition of "evolution" might help. Most tend to think about evolution as pokemons evolve from 1 form to a completly other new one. (Just an example..)
While evolution is more. Evolution also contains adaptations with the environnement..

#20938 - 02/21/09 04:48 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: daevid777]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon lived together for some time, that is in the same period of time. The first died out. It is not sure if they fucked or not but even when, it is not because they fucked, that they should produce babies as a result. It's like you being able to fuck a chimpansee but would you be able to get it pregnant? And maybe Cros regarded Neanders like we look at chimps, who's to tell? Some scientists are convinced we cross-bred, others not.

And yes, humans descended from the apes for sure, we have about 98.something % of our genes in common with Chimps, so that's rather convincing evidence. Why are there still apes? For the same reason that there are still chickens. It's not because one branch evolves into something specific, that there can be no other branches. We evolved from a specific ancestor into humans while Chimps, or Orangutans evolved into what they are now.

There are a number of good books upon evolution and our genetic path. The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution by Richard Dawkins being one.

D.

Edited by Diavolo (02/21/09 04:52 AM)

#20945 - 02/21/09 09:16 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: daevid777]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
You're not going to see orangutans and chimps shacking up, even if they were kept together in captivity. Different species, different strokes, folks. They'd more than likely try to kill each other. Orangs can be nasty, and are the only other primate besides humans that rape one another.

Species of proto-humans coexisted, predating the H. sapiens sapiens and H. neaderthalensis. H. erectus lasted the longest out of all the Homo genus. These overlapped with the newer model, H. heidelbergensis as well as the older H. habilis, which in turn gave way to the last two, Neanderthal and Cro-Mag.

While there was undoubtedly some cohabitation invovled with the two species, I sincerely doubt that there was any screwing going on. As D mentioned, the "newer" models probably looked at the dumber and less attractive men as "lesser than", and closer to animals.

#20946 - 02/21/09 09:40 AM Re: Vatican & Darwin [Re: Nemesis]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Crossbreeds could have possible but one side effect of it is that mostly crossbreed males are sterile. At least Chimps seem to have suffered that problem when evolving into what they are now. About the Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon things are a bit unclear at the level of crossbreeding. There have been discoveries that seem to support the fact that they did but other scientists disagree.

At the fact of not believing in evolution I can only say one thing: one is either ignorant upon the subject or one is stupid. I see no other explanation. If one denies evolution, which is supported by a shipload of evidence, what other option is there to agree with? Intelligent design? One does not need to uphold Evolution as a gospel of truth, it is always under development and will be adapted when new info arrives or is discovered but there is no, absolutely no better, or more correct theory.

If one doubts the evolution of species, check out species like the Tiktaalik. There is no way this can be seen other than a transient stage.

D.

Edited by Diavolo (02/21/09 09:41 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.