Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#20584 - 02/17/09 05:28 AM A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ?
Berruelle Offline
lurker

The Englishman was never clear on this subject !
#20594 - 02/17/09 06:48 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: Berruelle]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I'm sure that if you did a bit of research, and read up on the subject, you would find the answer to your question all on your own.

#20599 - 02/17/09 07:34 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: spiderbreeder]
Berruelle Offline
lurker

Well , of course i read up, and some say he was a luciferian but i found NO PROOF to the claim !

He just boasted he was the meanest man in the United Kingdom.

#20610 - 02/17/09 10:58 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: Berruelle]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I think it is quite obvious the he was a Rastafarian....

#20611 - 02/17/09 11:42 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Linaka113 Offline

Loc: East Bay 510 CA
Aleister Crowley, born Edward Alexander Crowley (pronounced /ˈkroʊli/), (12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947), was a British occultist, writer, mountaineer, poet, and yogi.[1] He was an influential member of several occult organizations, including the Golden Dawn, the A∴A∴, and Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.),[2] and is best known today for his occult writings, especially The Book of the Law, the central sacred text of Thelema. He gained much notoriety during his lifetime, and was dubbed "The Wickedest Man In the World."[3]

Crowley was also a chess player, painter, astrologer, hedonist, bisexual, drug experimenter, and social critic. He was a 33 degrees Freemason,[4] but the regularity of his initiations have been disputed by a member of the Grand Lodge of British Columbia and Yukon.[5]

Edward Alexander Crowley was born at 36 Clarendon Square in Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England, between 11:00pm and midnight on October 12, 1875.[6]

His father, Edward Crowley, was trained as an engineer but according to Aleister, never worked as one[7]. He did, however, own shares in a lucrative family brewery business, which allowed him to retire before Aleister was born. Through his father's business he was an acquaintance of Aubrey Beardsley. His mother, Emily Bertha Bishop, drew roots from a Devon and Somerset family.[7] Both of his parents were Exclusive Brethren, a more conservative faction of the Plymouth Brethren.[8]

Crowley grew up in a staunch Brethren household and was only allowed to play with children whose families followed the same faith. His father was a fanatical preacher, travelling around Britain and producing pamphlets. Daily Bible studies and private tutoring were mainstays in "Alick's" childhood.

On February 29, 1880[9], a sister, Grace Mary Elizabeth, was born but lived only five hours. Crowley was taken to see the body and in his own words (in the third person):

"The incident made a curious impression on him. He did not see why he should be disturbed so uselessly. He couldn't do any good; the child was dead; it was none of his business. This attitude continued through his life. He has never attended any funeral but that of his father, which he did not mind doing, as he felt himself to be the real centre of interest."[10]
On March 5, 1887, his father died of tongue cancer. This was a turning point in Crowley's life, after which he then began to describe his childhood in the first person in his Confessions.

After the death of his father to whom he was very close, he drifted from his religious upbringing, and his mother's efforts at keeping her son in the Christian faith only served to provoke his skepticism. When he was a child, his constant rebellious behaviour displeased his mother to such an extent that she would chastise him by calling him "The Beast" (from the Book of Revelation), an epithet that Crowley would later adopt for himself. He objected to the labelling of what he saw as life's most worthwhile and enjoyable activities as "sinful".

University
In 1895, he went to Trinity College, Cambridge, after studying at the public schools Malvern College, Eastbourne College and Tonbridge School, and originally had the intention of reading Moral Sciences (philosophy), but with approval from his personal tutor, he switched to English literature, which was not then a part of the curriculum offered.[11] His three years at Cambridge were happy ones, due in part to coming into the considerable fortune left by his father.

Here he finally broke with the Church of England, internally if not externally:

"The Church of England [...] had seemed a narrow tyranny, as detestable as that of the Plymouth Brethren; less logical and more hypocritical."
"When I discovered that chapel was compulsory I immediately struck back. The junior dean halled me for not attending chapel, which I was certainly not going to do, because it involved early rising. I excused myself on the ground that I had been brought up among the Plymouth Brethren. The dean asked me to come and see him occasionally and discuss the matter, and I had the astonishing impudence to write to him that 'The seed planted by my father, watered by my mother's tears, would prove too hardy a growth to be uprooted even by his eloquence and learning.'"[10]
In December 1896, following an event that he describes in veiled terms, Crowley decided to pursue a path in occultism and mysticism. By the next year, he began reading books by alchemists and mystics, and books on magic.[6] Biographer Sutin describes the pivotal New Year's event as a homo-erotic experience (Crowley's first) that brought him what he considered "an encounter with an immanent deity."[12] During the year of 1897, Aleister further came to see worldly pursuits as useless. The section on chess below, describes one experience that helped him reach this conclusion. In October a brief illness triggered considerations of mortality and "the futility of all human endeavor," or at least the futility of the diplomatic career that Crowley had previously considered.[13]

A year later, he published his first book of poetry (Aceldama), and left Cambridge, only to meet Julian L. Baker (Frater D. A.) who introduced him to Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

Bisexuality
Throughout the period of 1895, he allegedly maintained a vigorous sex life, which was largely conducted with prostitutes and girls he picked up at local pubs and cigar shops, but eventually extended into homosexual activities in which he played the passive role.[14] During the course of his life, Crowley practiced sexual magic rituals with both men and women. Biographer Sutin recounts Crowley's relationship[15] with, and lasting feelings[16] for, Herbert Charles Pollitt, whom he met while at Cambridge in 1897. Pollitt did not share his partner's mystical leanings, and Crowley had this to say about ending their relationship:

I told him frankly that I had given my life to religion and that he did not fit into the scheme. I see now how imbecile I was, how hideously wrong and weak it is to reject any part of one's personality.[17]

He would have made any public expressions of "distaste" at a time when British law officially forbade homosexuality. The arrest, conviction and imprisonment of Oscar Wilde took place in Crowley's first year at Cambridge. In the autobiographical preface to Crowley's drama The World's Tragedy, he included a section on "Sodomy" where he openly admitted his bisexuality and praised sex between men. However, someone removed these two pages from all copies of the book except those Crowley gave to close friends.[18]

Later, in a January 1929 letter, he wrote

There have been about four men in my life that I could say I have loved... Call me a bugger if you like, but I don't feel the same way about women. One can always replace a woman in a few days.[19]

While that claim about women conflicts with other statements and actions of Crowley's,[20] it accurately describes his relationships with Pollitt and various working class women during his college years.[21]

Name change
Crowley described his decision to change his name as follows:

"For many years I had loathed being called Alick, partly because of the unpleasant sound and sight of the word, partly because it was the name by which my mother called me. Edward did not seem to suit me and the diminutives Ted or Ned were even less appropriate. Alexander was too long and Sandy suggested tow hair and freckles. I had read in some book or other that the most favourable name for becoming famous was one consisting of a dactyl followed by a spondee, as at the end of a hexameter: like "Jeremy Taylor". Aleister Crowley fulfilled these conditions and Aleister is the Gaelic form of Alexander. To adopt it would satisfy my romantic ideals. The atrocious spelling A-L-E-I-S-T-E-R was suggested as the correct form by Cousin Gregor, who ought to have known better. In any case, A-L-A-I-S-D-A-I-R makes a very bad dactyl. For these reasons I saddled myself with my present nom-de-guerre—I can't say that I feel sure that I facilitated the process of becoming famous. I should doubtless have done so, whatever name I had chosen."[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

All this took was a search from wikipedia on the internet within seconds. Dont be lazy do some research on the internet before comming here to post a topic from which you can do this on your own. Theres more on the wikipedia but this is enough said.

#20616 - 02/17/09 02:23 PM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: Linaka113]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Satanic, yes. Satanist, no.

Overall he was a massive troll, so I wouldn't fuss over it too much.

#20700 - 02/18/09 07:39 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: The Zebu]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

If you read 'The confessions of Aleister Crowley', you'll find he was only a freemason in America, his mountain climbing abilities were almost child like, his interpretation of 'magic' merely an offshoot of his love for maths and logic, his 'experimental' use of drugs actually consists of serious opium and heroin addictions and his interpretation of sexuality was simply on the the level of marque du sade with some faggotry thrown into the mix; overall Crowley's main contribution to the world was his air fairy symbols and tarot nonsense.

Edited by joseph oreilly (02/18/09 07:44 AM)

#20747 - 02/18/09 06:37 PM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: joseph oreilly]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Okay, first off your wrong...

I bel;ieve he still holds some mountain climbing records.

His magick writings were quite a bit beyond that. When you create as much as he did, then you can belittle his accomplishments.

Drug use, well, we all have experimented. Herion was actually a prescribed medicine in the past. It is one of the most affect drugs used to treat asthma.

My sexual practices as well as his are open to personal desires. Sometimes, mine are worse than his. SO WHAT?

I think you need to be banned again just for utter stupidity.

Morgan

#20767 - 02/19/09 01:20 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: Morgan]
Jake999 Offline

Yep. People with childlike mountain climbing skills always take on the Pakistani route up K2. Most of them die pretty quickly.

#20780 - 02/19/09 08:10 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: Berruelle]
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
Neither, and to be blunt I have no idea where (other than Christian websites) you got the idea that he was either.

Crowley was a Thelemite and conducted his life accordingly. His beliefs (and consequently the lifestyle that emanated from those beliefs) have a rather un-Satanic tendency to venture into Mysticism and Theosophic speculation, for example his Qabalistically informed concept of uniting with the "Holy Guardian Angel" and the idea of an Aeonic procession that is directed by forces other than human Will.

On the other hand his ability to challenge convention, his desire for wo/man to operate at their highest level, thirst for knowledge and power among other curious things are all hallmarks of a Satanic character.

The Zebu sums it up well. He was not a Satanist but was Satanic. At least in many of his characteristics.

As for joseph oreilly: can somebody borrow me a shotgun?

#21140 - 02/25/09 11:30 PM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: PrinceOfBabalon]
satansydney Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
it dont matter to me what he was, i enjoy reading Aleister Crowley writings .
#21148 - 02/26/09 03:23 AM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: PrinceOfBabalon]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
"holy guardian angel"?

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."

Sorry.

#21161 - 02/26/09 12:28 PM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: satansydney]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: satansydney
it dont matter to me what he was, i enjoy reading Aleister Crowley writings .

And why do you like them?

#21164 - 02/26/09 04:19 PM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: daevid777]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
top line could be attributed to crowley.
the bottom line is from Poe...

M

#21165 - 02/26/09 04:51 PM Re: A. CROWLEY; satanist or luciferian ? [Re: Morgan]
Jake999 Offline

Crowley's use of "Holy Guardian Angel" was a personal reference to himself... his true inner core beliefs, which will also be referenced in some of his writings as his "silent self." This idea is thought to have come to him from a passage in "The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage. which says, "If thou shalt perfectly observe these rules, all the following Symbols and an infinitude of others will be granted unto thee by the Holy Guardian Angel; thou thus living for the Honour and Glory of the True and only God, for thine own good, and that of thy neighbour. Let thy Fear of God be ever before the eyes and heart of him who shall possess the Divine Wisdom and Sacred Magic."

Good call on the Poe. It comes from "A Dream Within A Dream."

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.