Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#20623 - 02/17/09 04:01 PM Unjustly Obscure Films
NihilisticMystic Offline
stranger

Loc: Albuquerque New Mexico United ...
What are some cult/foreign/indpendent/whatever movies that you feel are a lot better than the mainstream culture considers them to be? (often to the point where they're hard to find except online)

I'll start:

-I Stand Alone
-Threat
-Duck:The Carbine High Massacre
-Naked
-Ichi the Killer
-Ginger Snaps
-Man Bites Dog

Maybe some of these aren't as obscure as I make them sound, but they're still cult phenomena.

#20699 - 02/18/09 07:17 AM Re: Unjustly Obscure Films [Re: NihilisticMystic]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Man bites Dog or "C'est arrivé près de chez vous" as it is originally titled here isn't really obscure. It was a pretty well known movie down here and showed in all the theaters. Of course it being from this little shithole might make it obscure to the rest of the world. Nevertheless it is a movie that is not bad at all and if someone encounters it, be sure to grab the opportunity in watching it.

I like cultmovies myself and fancy those over the top martial arts ones too. I saw Ichi lately and to be honest, didn't find it that great. It was hmm weird.
Another nice one is "The story of Ricky". As far as I know, all parts are to be found on google video.

D.

#20708 - 02/18/09 09:44 AM Re: Unjustly Obscure Films [Re: Diavolo]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

The original Mexican Coffin Joe movies are cool, allot of early 90's anime can be quite disturbing and fundementalist islamic films from mid eighties saudi arabia are cool.
#20732 - 02/18/09 12:40 PM Re: Unjustly Obscure Films [Re: NihilisticMystic]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Man Bites Dog, and Ginger Snaps are both movies that I have seen, and both that I enjoyed. Battlefield Earth wasn't too bad, and that movie took a ton of shit from people when it came out. Dr. Strangelove, Dead Alive, Series 7: The Contenders, Last Night
are the first few that come to mind.

#20746 - 02/18/09 05:46 PM Re: Unjustly Obscure Films [Re: NihilisticMystic]
PrinceOfBabalon Offline
stranger

Loc: London
Ginger Snaps I enjoyed.

I'm neither gay nor Greek though I thought that Head On was a very powerful film. The plot is centered on a nihilistic/hedonistic young protagonist - raised in a very Traditional Greek Australian family - coming to terms with his sexuality and as part of it, rejecting tradtion and convential morality.

#20763 - 02/18/09 11:56 PM Re: Unjustly Obscure Films [Re: PrinceOfBabalon]
NihilisticMystic Offline
stranger

Loc: Albuquerque New Mexico United ...
Dead Alive is legitimate. The best zombie movie ever done by anyone in any time period, IMO.

#20766 - 02/19/09 01:17 AM Re: Unjustly Obscure Films [Re: NihilisticMystic]
Jake999 Offline

There are a couple of obscure films that I can recommend.

Wise Blood - 1979 - Brad Dourif's early appearance as Hazel Moats who, by any stretch of the imagination, is as fucked up as a soup sandwich. A Southerner--young, poor, ambitious but uneducated--determines to become something in the world. He decides that the best way to do that is to become a preacher and start up his own church.

Liquid Sky - 1982. Bizarre, eerie... full of archetypical characters you'll swear you know from real life. Invisible aliens in a tiny flying saucer come to Earth looking for heroin. They land on top of a New York apartment inhabited by a drug dealer and her female, androgynous, bisexual nymphomaniac lover, a fashion model. The aliens soon find the human pheromones created in the brain during orgasm preferable to heroin, and the model's casual sex partners begin to disappear. This increasingly bizarre scenario is observed by a lonely woman in the building across the street, a German scientist who is following the aliens, and an equally androgynous, drug-addicted male model. (Both models are played by Anne Carlisle, in a dual role.) Darkly funny and thoroughly weird.

#20783 - 02/19/09 10:37 AM Re: Unjustly Obscure Films [Re: Jake999]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
one of the strangest and most beautiful films these eyes have ever beheld is Santa Sangre, by the mighty, yet unsung, Alejandro Jodorowsky.
There is none finer.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.