Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#20962 - 02/21/09 02:18 PM Re: Respect [Re: Dimitri]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
Joseph..
Really, shut up... You didn't made it invalid, you agreed with it.
What you have written in your language is basically the same as mike said...

I'm saying respect is wrong, it doesn't work as an idea, mike says the opposite of that by relating it to other concepts.

#20963 - 02/21/09 02:22 PM Re: Respect [Re: joseph oreilly]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

And why do you think it is wrong?
Honestly I don't see any problems with it in any context since respect is to be earned and not given away..

#20968 - 02/21/09 04:29 PM Re: Respect [Re: Mike]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
As a general rule, respect must be earned. However, as a general rule, it is pointless act like a douche just because someone has not 'earned' your respect.

Acting like a gentleman is becoming a lost art - especially among your age group. Everyone one seems to be too busy acting 'gangsta.' Now, I understand that 'niggaz', 'bitches' and 'hoes' play an important part of life in current youth culture. Primarily, that is because 99.9% of all 'youths' are, in fact, 'punk-as-bitches.' It is this 'bitchassness' that is cause of nearly all strife in this age group. It is also an unnecessary burden placed upon the rest of society. From time to time us 'elders' like to go out to dinner and the movies with our families and not have to deal with the bitchassness of other people's children.

If you are truly interested on the subject of respect, I would recommend reading the "Hagakure." It is full of manly lessons that your generation is in desperate need of. Also, look for someone in your area that is teaching traditional Judo or Ju-Jitsu. After a few classes you will begin to understand how this whole respect thing works.

#20969 - 02/21/09 04:43 PM Re: Respect [Re: Fist]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Acting like a gentleman is becoming a lost art - especially among your age group. Everyone one seems to be too busy acting 'gangsta.' Now, I understand that 'niggaz', 'bitches' and 'hoes' play an important part of life in current youth culture. Primarily, that is because 99.9% of all 'youths' are, in fact, 'punk-as-bitches.' It is this 'bitchassness' that is cause of nearly all strife in this age group.

The "gangsta" thing is actually just a period, tough I never acted as one, after this they mostly get sobered up when confronted with real life and when they stop living with their parents and start learning they should take life at their hands and all their deeds have consequences...

Next to the book "Hagakure" Fist recommended I'd also recommend the site "Art of manliness". They have some fine articles for behaving properly. I learned a lot from it and daily use some the information they provided. Altough, some things might seem a bit "far-fetched" and "uncool", they certainly will help you for succeeding in life and on business. Next to understanding respect it is also important how to show respect and how to achieve it by your own actions.

Edited by Dimitri (02/21/09 04:45 PM)

#20972 - 02/21/09 07:30 PM Re: Respect [Re: joseph oreilly]
Mike Offline

Loc: Farmingdale, NY
 Quote:
I'm saying respect is wrong, it doesn't work as an idea, mike says the opposite of that by relating it to other concepts.

Respect itself is wrong? If you live your life without respect for anything or anyone and expect no one to have respect for you either, then your argument may be valid. But if you have no respect for anything and expect anything other than people treating you like the trash you are for respecting nothing, not even yourself, just wait and see how you're treated. I would imagine you would be treated even worse than you are on here, and if you ask me, people are being overly tolerant of your bullshit rants and irrational arguments. Respect is wrong...? Just listen to how that sounds. Don't expect respect from anyone if that's what you truly believe, especially on here. I think you've just proved to all of us here that you don't deserve any respect. So hey, your feelings toward respect actually are right....For you anyway.

#20973 - 02/21/09 07:32 PM Re: Respect [Re: Fist]
Mike Offline

Quote:
As a general rule, respect must be earned. However, as a general rule, it is pointless act like a douche just because someone has not 'earned' your respect.

Agreed. But if someone shows disrespect to me, or earns my disrespect, however that may happen, I believe I have every right to act like a douche.

Edited by Mike (02/21/09 07:33 PM)

#21016 - 02/22/09 03:23 PM Re: Respect [Re: Dimitri]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Respect carries with it great weight, for me. It's the end all, be all, and can only be earned. It's the gate keeper to other virtues, such as, courage-pride-values. But, I've grown a large amount in the last two decades which dictates respect as central. No more do I go around loving people unconditionally irregardless of what they've done. Whether they've lied, cheated, or possessed uncontrollable greed; you're torched. Those are three problems which I don't care anymore for. Also, love doesn't exist in my repetoir of principles, but repect remains undaunted.

The being of nature on top (SATAN) views everything in terms of respect, an admiration of achievments. Everyone that goes against His will be warned. He'll show no mercy, and destroy you.

After all, one is deemed worthy or unworthy from their actions.

#21057 - 02/23/09 04:36 PM Re: Respect [Re: paolo sette]
Mike Offline

Quote:
The being of nature on top (SATAN) views everything in terms of respect, an admiration of achievments. Everyone that goes against His will be warned. He'll show no mercy, and destroy you.

Do you say that literally or metaphorically? Just wondering. It sounds as though you're saying Satan (as a being) is the top of the food chain and it's him, not the individual, that decides who and what is worthy of respect. However you can turn that around to mean that Satan, a metaphor for ones superego, is what determines who and what deserves respect and in turn meaning it is the individual that determines if something is worthy of their respect.

Quote:
After all, one is deemed worthy or unworthy from their actions.

Worthy of respect or a pat on the back from Satan? This goes with my last question.

#21068 - 02/23/09 11:44 PM Re: Respect [Re: Dimitri]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
My oldest child, now 20, thinks he knows everything and walks on water. He has a mouth on him that will not shut up. He has lost a job thanks to it. He irks me and his mom every time we try to impart some life lesson on him. I have told him 1000 times, that mouth will get him in trouble. This is the real world now. When you were 16 it was one thing. But now, that mouth will get you fired, shunned, hurt, or in a pine box. Go to a bar, when you are 21, and fuck around and mouth off to that member of the Pagans or Banditos sitting next to you, and see if you don't wake up in the ICU(if you wake up). In one ear and out the other. After all, we are his parents. We don't know shit. We are just old fools that don't know the times. Well, today I got the pleasure of sitting in court while my son was arraigned for marijauna possession, minor in possession of alcohol and ASSAULTING A POLICE OFFICER. I have no doubt the last charge was a result of him running his fucking mouth and showing NO RESPECT, when he should have. He could have been issued a simple summons to appear and gotten some community service and some sober time. No, now he faces a felony rap. He has no job, sucks off our tit, and is locked up in jail crying for us to post bail. Man up tough guy. Make some new friends. Sometimes respect has to be earned. Or sometimes lack of respect will find you in a pine box or clenching your ass cheeks when taking a shower. There are plenty of people that demand respect out there just by their accomplishments. And when some snot nosed brat points the middle finger at them, which this current crop of piss ants seems to be more than willing to do, they will find out the hard way.

#21071 - 02/24/09 02:58 AM Re: Respect [Re: fakepropht]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
After all, we are his parents. We don't know shit. We are just old fools that don't know the times.

Somehow I recognize myself in this part from a few years before... not that odd I guess...
 Quote:
Well, today I got the pleasure of sitting in court while my son was arraigned for marijauna possession, minor in possession of alcohol and ASSAULTING A POLICE OFFICER. I have no doubt the last charge was a result of him running his fucking mouth and showing NO RESPECT, when he should have. He could have been issued a simple summons to appear and gotten some community service and some sober time. No, now he faces a felony rap. He has no job, sucks off our tit, and is locked up in jail crying for us to post bail.

Ouch.. well at my home they would actually let me rot away untill I had learned my lesson and came back home decently with a nice job and my apologies... maybe worth a try.. altough I can imagine being a parent it wouldn't be easy to do so.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
paolo sette:

Quote:
But, I've grown a large amount in the last two decades which dictates respect as central. No more do I go around loving people unconditionally irregardless of what they've done. Whether they've lied, cheated, or possessed uncontrollable greed; you're torched. Those are three problems which I don't care anymore for. Also, love doesn't exist in my repetoir of principles, but repect remains undaunted.

Love is also a form of respect, only taken to an higher (highest?) level..
I wish you good luck with not loving people who lied, cheated or had uncontrollable greed. Everyone does these 3 things, denying them is lying to yourself in the first place. I recommend you to read 'On the Decay of the Art of Lying' of Mark Twain...

To quote directly:
 Quote:
Among other common lies, we have the _silent_ lie--the deception which one conveys by simply keeping still and concealing the truth. Many obstinate truth-mongers indulge in this dissipation, imagining that if they _speak_ no lie, they lie not at all. In that far country where I once lived, there was a lovely spirit, a lady whose impulses were always high and pure, and whose character answered to them. One day I was there at dinner, and remarked, in a general way, that we are all liars. She was amazed, and said, "Not _all_?" It was before "Pinafore's" time. so I did not make the response which would naturally follow in our day, but frankly said, "Yes, _all_--we are all liars. There are no exceptions." She looked almost offended, "Why, do you include _me_?" "Certainly," I said. "I think you even rank as an expert." She said "Sh-'sh! the children!" So the subject was changed in deference to the children's presence, and we went on talking about other things. But as soon as the young people were out of the way, the lady came warmly back to the matter and said, "I have made a rule of my life to never tell a lie; and I have never departed from it in a single instance." I said, "I don't mean the least harm or disrespect, but really you have been lying like smoke ever since I've been sitting here. It has caused me a good deal of pain, because I'm not used to it." She required of me an instance--just a single instance. So I said--

"Well, here is the unfilled duplicate of the blank, which the Oakland hospital people sent to you by the hand of the sick-nurse when she came here to nurse your little nephew through his dangerous illness.

This blank asks all manners of questions as to the conduct of that sick-nurse: 'Did she ever sleep on her watch? Did she ever forget to give the medicine?' and so forth and so on. You are warned to be very careful and explicit in your answers, for the welfare of the service requires that the nurses be promptly fined or otherwise punished for derelictions. You told me you were perfectly delighted with this nurse--that she had a thousand perfections and only one fault: you found you never could depend on her wrapping Johnny up half sufficiently while he waited in a chilly chair for her to rearrange the warm bed. You filled up the duplicate of this paper, and sent it back to the hospital by the hand of the nurse. How did you answer this question--'Was the nurse at any time guilty of a negligence which was likely to result in the patient's taking cold?' Come--everything is decided by a bet here in California: ten dollars to ten cents you lied when you answered that question." She said, "I didn't; _I left it blank!_" "Just so--you have told a _silent_ lie; you have left it to be inferred that you had no fault to find in that matter." She said, "Oh, was that a lie? And _how_ could I mention her one single fault, and she is so good?--It would have been cruel." I said, "One ought always to lie, when one can do good by it; your impulse was right, but your judgment was crude; this comes of unintelligent practice. Now observe the results of this inexpert deflection of yours. You know Mr. Jones's Willie is lying very low with scarlet-fever; well, your recommendation was so enthusiastic that that girl is there nursing him, and the worn-out family have all been trustingly sound asleep for the last fourteen hours, leaving their darling with full confidence in those fatal hands, because you, like young George Washington, have a reputa-- However, if you are not going to have anything to do, I will come around to-morrow and we'll attend the funeral together, for, of course, you'll naturally feel a peculiar interest in Willie's case--as personal a one, in fact, as the undertaker."

But that was not all lost. Before I was half-way through she was in a carriage and making thirty miles an hour toward the Jones mansion to save what was left of Willie and tell all she knew about the deadly nurse. All of which was unnecessary, as Willie wasn't sick; I had been lying myself. But that same day, all the same, she sent a line to the hospital which filled up the neglected blank, and stated the _facts,_ too, in the squarest possible manner.

Now, you see, this lady's fault was _not_ in lying, but in lying injudiciously. She should have told the truth, _there,_ and made it up to the nurse with a fraudulent compliment further along in the paper. She could have said, "In one respect this sick-nurse is perfection--when she is on the watch, she never snores." Almost any little pleasant lie would have taken the sting out of that troublesome but necessary expression of the truth.

Lying is universal--we _all_ do it.

full article: http://mark-twain.classic-literature.co.uk/on-the-decay-of-the-art-of-lying/

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.