Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#21218 - 02/27/09 06:47 PM Goat Curry!
Meq Offline
Banned

Jamaican-style Curry Goat

Yield: 4 to 5 servings
Preparation & Cooking Time: 1 to 1 hours (not including marinating)

Ingredients:

* 3 pounds / 1.5 kg goat, cut into 1-inch / 2.5-cm cubes
* 1 lime
* 1 large onion, sliced
* 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons / 45 mL)
* 2 teaspoons / 10 mL salt
* 1 teaspoon / 5 mL black pepper
* 1 teaspoon / 5 mL thyme leaves
* teaspoon / 1 mL finely chopped Scotch bonnet pepper
* 2 tablespoons / 25 mL canola or vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon / 5 mL sugar
* 5 green onions, chopped (about 1 cup / 250 mL)
* 2 teaspoons / 10 mL curry powder
* 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into -inch / 1-cm cubes

Method:
Squeeze the lime juice over the goat; let it sit for a couple of minutes and then rinse with cold water. Drain off excess water. Place the goat in a sealable container and add the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme, and Scotch bonnet pepper. Wearing rubber gloves, rub the spices into the goat with your hands. Marinate, covered and refrigerated, for 1 to 2 hours.

In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil and sugar, stirring until the sugar is brown. Add the goat with marinade, green onions, and curry; stir thoroughly. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the goat slowly in its own juices, stirring occasionally, until the goat is nearly tender, about 30 minutes. If the meat is tough, pour cup / 60 mL of water at a time down the sides of the pot, not directly onto the goat (or you will toughen the meat).

Add the potatoes and cup / 60 mL water; stir thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked but not too soft. Crush some of the potatoes to thicken the sauce, if desired. If there is not enough sauce, add cup / 60 mL water and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve with rice or roti and a salad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK guys, I just prepared this dish to serve tomorrow - leaving overnight in the refrigerator improves the flavor.
The cut of goat I got is as tough as old boots (I might go for kid next time if I can find it), but boy is it tasty.
Goat and kid are curiously undereaten in the UK (except by Muslims), maybe it is the same in your country.
This is really weird when you think about it, considering they are so much leaner and healthier than lamb or mutton.

P.S. Yes I know kid also means a human child. It's a tired old joke.

#21225 - 02/27/09 10:48 PM Re: Goat Curry! [Re: Meq]
Linaka113 Offline

Loc: East Bay 510 CA
You just made me hungry Thanks alot Mequa lol. Sounds so good.

#21724 - 03/08/09 12:18 AM Re: Goat Curry! [Re: Linaka113]
Munki1 Offline
stranger

Thanks, I enjoy goat.

Alot like beef, but a little different.

#21753 - 03/08/09 06:45 PM Re: Goat Curry! [Re: Munki1]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
Where do you get goat meat? I don't see it at Tesco or anything.

A halaal shop?

#21764 - 03/08/09 09:51 PM Re: Goat Curry! [Re: coelentrate]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Goat meat is very lean. It's been a while since I last tasted the stuff. The last time was over in Europe when I was visiting Italia. I recommend you visit a farm where they raise goats, and you'll have to ask the farmer how much it is to buy some meat; or, if you know how to slaughter one...go for it.

#21766 - 03/08/09 10:08 PM Re: Goat Curry! [Re: coelentrate]
Meq Offline
Banned

Find some local butchers and ask around. If they don't have any, they will most likely be able to give some pointers.

Goat meat in the UK is most likely to be Halal, although my personal preference is for goat which hasn't had its throat slit while fully conscious while some Muslim in a fancy robe dances around and chants gibberish over it.
Good luck in finding some non-Halal meat though - if not the Muslim stuff will have to do.

I'd also enquire about the age of the goat on offer - older animals generally have tougher meat.

You can also try nagging your local supermarket into stocking it. Goat is horribly undereaten at present.
Dare I say, at least one good thing might come from the Muslim invasion! \:o

#21824 - 03/10/09 02:50 AM Re: Goat Curry! [Re: Meq]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
 Quote:
Goat meat in the UK is most likely to be Halal, although my personal preference is for goat which hasn't had its throat slit while fully conscious while some Muslim in a fancy robe dances around and chants gibberish over it.

How's it "supposed" to be killed? The ol' spike through the head trick, while morons with aprons look on? Or maybe you'd like the old fashioned sledgehammer? Bullet to the brain, if you're lucky? Or we give them some diazepams, get them feeling groovy, and then...

what?

I don't think I'd mind any kind of prayers, considering I was going to be food... Just do it clean... guillotine? (that could be a song... I mentioned it first, bastards.)

I think I'd like them dancing around... it would be a temporary distraction. Otherwise, if you've got a "nicer" way to kill, that won't make me incredibly sleepy eating goat meat, I'm all for it. And if you have a "humane" way to take a life, when it involves "food"... I'd love to hear about it.

They taste good..... love the recipe.

#21837 - 03/10/09 12:33 PM Re: Goat Curry! [Re: daevid777]
Meq Offline
Banned

Stun gun to the head first before slashing its throat open - as is customary in many developed countries? Of course, that's not Halal.
Given this is a less common meat, a more important issue may be to get some that's less ridiculously overpriced - if only because such a novelty lends itself to sharing.
My goat curry ended up in the stomachs (and toilet bowls, lol) of 6 people. Of course, for the more selfish sort and/or with enough cash, this will be less of an issue!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.