Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#21277 - 03/01/09 07:24 AM Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb
Morbid Rex Offline

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/02/27/books-and-music-that-make-you-dumb/

Interesting, especially considering I've always questioned the intelligence of hardcore Lil Wayne fans. I mean come on, the guy comes up with lines like

"I'm outstanding like standing outside"

and "Ketchup like mayonnaise" the second simile doesn't even convey any importance whatsoever.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#21680 - 03/07/09 08:30 AM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: Morbid Rex]
joseph oreilly Offline
Incomprehensible--Banned
pledge

Originally Posted By: Morbid Rex
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/02/27/books-and-music-that-make-you-dumb/

You wouldn't think stupid people read books and finding musics requires some level of intelligence.

Originally Posted By: Morbid Rex
Interesting, especially considering I've always questioned the intelligence of hardcore Lil Wayne fans.

You need to listen to early lil wayne like ICP with violent J.

#21688 - 03/07/09 11:14 AM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: joseph oreilly]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Question:

Can I take this to mean that you are a Juggalo?

#21709 - 03/07/09 04:50 PM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: Fist]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I suppose Joe Here serves as pretty strong evidence for the proposition presented in the original post.

Way to finally serve a purpose beyond 'annoyance', Joe.

*pat on the back*

#21739 - 03/08/09 08:04 AM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: Morbid Rex]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I don't even know why I'm replying on this topic anyway.. boredom I guess.

Anyway, there isn't such music or books that "might make you dumb". I only noticed that depending on your knowledge and caracter certain books are being read and a typical music style is being listened too.

For an example: here in belgium I see some people walking, making quite some noise and belonging to the lower social class of society. Taking a look on their music style I notice most of them listen to techno or hiphop (depending on their skincolor..). I see another group passing by, dressed up in black listening to their conversation, they are discussing littrature or media topics.. With exploring their background I notice they belong to the mid-social class and even some to the "richer".

This as just an example, and no I can't back it up since this is only something I noticed and which returns frequently.

To put it short: sometimes your choice of music or books shows your intellectual capacity.

#21958 - 03/13/09 01:30 AM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: Dimitri]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Well, if listening to "Counting Crows" makes you smart... then I'd rather be dumb.

What if I listen to "Requiem", and then "Can I get a fuck you?" by Jay-Z? The Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Dr. Dre?

These tests are skewed anyway - good "test takers" doesn't a smarty-pants make. Anyone can pass "multiple guess" tests, unless they are Medical Boards, or Cisco Certifications.

Interesting to note, so called "Black Music" scored lower, what about "Mexican Music"? "Punjab?" Just another controversial website, and I believe that was the intention.

There are (Sociological) studies out there that discuss this sort of thing... racial differences in test-taking. Tests are written by "white people" for the most part, and involve "white people" scenarios. Put that shit into the context of the average "other" race, and they'd do just as well, if not better, I'd imagine.

"Juanita's family took a vacation to Puerto Vallarta for a week. Juanita and her three sisters spent $13 each day. How much money did Juanita and her sisters spend in one week?"

#21962 - 03/13/09 04:45 AM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: daevid777]
Grandpabeast Offline

Loc: No. Utah. USA
My Son was given the newest CD of Combichrist by the band. He gave them a ride back to their tour bus after their DD got FUBAR at the club Area 51 in Salt Lake City. They crammed 10 people into my Wife's Chevy Malibu, 8 in the cab and 2 in the trunk... They got to party the night away in the tour bus until the band had to leave for Denver. Wes, a former member of Limp Bizkit was with them too. The new CD is called "Today We Are All Demons." It is a pretty kick ass CD.

* BTW, Juanita and her Sisters spent $364.00 I am sure this is only local, if you add the airfare, parking etc. it would go up substantially...

Roger.

#22049 - 03/15/09 03:21 PM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: Grandpabeast]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
What the hell does your story about your son have to do with the thread?

I agree with the school of thought that says that your taste in music reflects on your intellectual capacity, but I'd like to take it a step further and suggest that it has more to do with the diversity of taste than what's on your ipod at the moment. People who ONLY listen to rap tend to embrace that mentality and lifestyle....which means they try to be "that way" on purpose. People who ONLY listen to classical or country or whatever generally embody the stereotype that is associated with it. But a person with very diverse musical tastes more than likely has a more complex personality because music and style of music is a very personal thing. "Diverse tastes" does not mean you have one song in that genre hidden in the depths of your hard drive.

#22130 - 03/17/09 12:17 AM Re: Taste in Music and Books that might make you dumb [Re: ceruleansteel]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
it has more to do with the diversity of taste than what's on your ipod at the moment. People who ONLY listen to rap tend to embrace that mentality and lifestyle....which means they try to be "that way" on purpose. People who ONLY listen to classical or country or whatever generally embody the stereotype that is associated with it. But a person with very diverse musical tastes more than likely has a more complex personality because music and style of music is a very personal thing.

I agree with this. Someone with a multi-faceted personality would be, of necessity, into different types of music which fits each particular facet of their personality. I love classical; it's what I spend most of my time studying and playing. I also love various subgenres of metal (black, death, doom, etc.) and sometimes I'm in the mood for some Pink Floyd, Guns 'n' Roses, or some Jeff Buckley.

I particularly liked that part about how there were, according to the site, 13 books which actually made you dumber than not reading any books at all. It's like the department chair at my last university said "if you want to write good you have to read good authors." However, in line with what you said, cerulean, I think it has more to do with whether you only read one type of book as opposed to a diverse range of literature. Obviously, you're not really going to get smarter reading nothing but Harry Potter (although they are extrememly well written books for young adult fiction; I must confess to having a penchant for them myself, despite the white-light bias they espouse).

Homo Homini Lupus

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.