Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#21408 - 03/02/09 03:18 PM Re: Why Satanism? [Re: Ichtus]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
 Quote:
Like I said, I'm trying to understand what attracts people to satanism. Lots of people on this forum were raised in Christian families, they weren't born into satanism. So obviously they found satanism attractive in some way or they wouldn't have got involved and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Those of us for whom Satanism or the LHP (Left Hand Path) is a way of life and not a "fad", 99% of us got to this point in our lives by questioning the status quo. This led to research, which led to more questions, all of which either went unanswered by Christianity or the answers themselves were insufficient (ie, lacked logic, mere speculation presented as facts, hypocrisy, etc). As our questions became more complex, the more we needed to know, and the harder the obscure information was to find. As each bit of information was absorbed, the closer it brought us to self-realization, and the path we'd set foot on years ago revealed its name: The Left Hand Path.

Now, some of us skipped a lot of the research and small steps, we started researching Satanism after we realized that mere Atheism was as insufficient to describe us as Christianity was. Upon reading texts such as "The Satanic Bible" and other works by La Vey, it dawned upon us how alike our personal philosophies were compared to those of Satanism.

Now, those who turn to Satanism in the midst of rebellion (and it can happen at any age, but it's usually in the teenage years) are the ones who tend to wear it as a fad, and these people are jokes and posers, not to be taken seriously.

Quote:
Are you seriously saying that satanists don't make similar mistakes due to false information or misunderstandings?

As I mentioned above, most of us got here by research. I myself have pored over the Bible numerous times, and each time I'm struck anew by the sheer hypocrisy and mindless bloodthirstiness of this God you've pledged your souls to. Unless you consider the Bible--the only proof of the existence of your Savior--"false information"?

Quote:
Do you think it's right for people do dominate others against the other's wishes?

Absolutely, especially if it benefits the dominating group. Whether it be for resources, labor, oil, whatever.

Quote:
Why do satanists associate a person's true nature with what I would call base instincts or to use your word, "savage"? I don't see that direction as achieving anything like our real potential.

Ah, but see? You're displaying the typical Christian view of "I know what's best for others" with your last statement. You said "OUR real potential". Who are you to place ME in YOUR category? For that matter, who are you to assume you know what's best for humanity? It always comes down to this.

#21409 - 03/02/09 03:39 PM Re: Why Satanism? [Re: Nemesis]
Rig Offline
stranger

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
 Originally Posted By: Nemesis

As I mentioned above, most of us got here by research. I myself have pored over the Bible numerous times, and each time I'm struck anew by the sheer hypocrisy and mindless bloodthirstiness of this God you've pledged your souls to. Unless you consider the Bible--the only proof of the existence of your Savior--"false information"?

You're right about the violence and hypocrisy in the bible; I'm always amused when Christians ask where my morals come from, if not the Bible. I wouldn't want to associate with anyone who truly culls their moral philosophy from that book, because such a person would be a terrible person indeed. But there's another thing that strikes me about the Bible: its numerous contradictions. Read with an open-mind, I don't see how anyone could take such an erroneous book seriously. Unfortunately, with indoctrination into religion at such a young age, it seems to me that there are few who will ever question the religion of their parents.

#21410 - 03/02/09 04:10 PM Re: Why Satanism? [Re: Rig]
Morbid Rex Offline

Most Christians haven't even read the Bible. And what they do know from it is second hand information that they get from people which is usually only the positive things.

Funny how they always ignore the mass murders rapes and other atrocities done in God's name in the "good book."

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#21411 - 03/02/09 04:57 PM Re: Why Satanism? [Re: Engel08]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:
But there are people who believe in Satan/demons and invoke him/them to gain power etc. Isn't that true?

Yes, there are all sorts of nuts out there. The devil, demons, and all that Jazz is a part of your religion, not mine. I would call those people heretical christians.

In Satanism, Satan is a concept at times, an archetype at others. A representation of man's potential and a celebration of man as an animal.

Satan as the adversary to all forms of mysticism and faith, to all beliefs that condemn man for being as he is.

Including devil worship!

Here is a little secret for you: Most Satanists dislike devil worshipers more than you do.

And as for misunderstanding christianity I would like to echo what many have already said;do not assume that because you come here ignorant of the specifics of Satanism we should also be ignorant of the specifics of christianity. I myself are intimately familiar with the bible at a level that most christians will never attain. I still read from mine a few times a week.

#21416 - 03/02/09 06:28 PM Re: Why Satanism? [Re: Ichtus]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
But there are people who believe in Satan/demons and invoke him/them to gain power etc. Isn't that true?

Yes, and they are all nutcases who draw from the same ideas of "faith" as Christians. (although most Christians are excusable, since they're usually raised that way and don't know any better) They are white sheep painting themselves black. Lucifer/Satan is the adversarial force that compels us to "become as gods" and to behold no spiritual authority but ourselves... NOT to ingratiate ourselves by groveling down before imaginary deities begging for help. Devil worship is the same thing, except their imaginary deity has horns and a pitchfork. Portraying Satan as just another "God" to be worshiped with prayers and sacrifices and holy books is missing the point entirely.

Getting back to my original question. I'm told that satanism is about getting in touch with one's true nature. If satanists are "born and not made", what determines their nature and why isn't everyone born with this nature? Or do you believe that all people are born with a satanist nature and that society/religion pushes most people into an unnatural state?

It's that classic combination of nature and nurture that determines whether we are "born satanists". Not everyone is born equal, so not everyone is born a satanist. There are many people who may have a "Satanic" nature, but for some reason or another do not identify themselves as Satanists. That's fine with us, and we tend to leave them alone. A true Satanist is somebody who has this "nature" AND chooses the idea of "Satan" as a representation of their convictions.

Like I said, I'm trying to understand what attracts people to Satanism. Lots of people on this forum were raised in Christian families, they weren't born into Satanism. So obviously they found Satanism attractive in some way or they wouldn't have got involved and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Again, we would have the same beliefs whether we decided to label them "Satanism" or not.

Most of us came to where we are simply by affirming our own beliefs. I myself was raised Catholic, even though my religion contradicted both my personal feelings and intellectual ideas. Eventually I learned more about Satanism, and I decided to call myself a Satanist NOT because of some profound "conversion experience", but because it was a word that concisely defined my ideas and feelings. I am a Satanist because the term "objectivist epicurean with occult tendencies and a taste for the dark side of things" is too damn long.

And I'm sure most people here will agree.

Edited by The Zebu (03/02/09 06:31 PM)

#21479 - 03/03/09 06:37 PM Re: Why Satanism? [Re: The Zebu]
Ichtus Offline
stranger

Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. It makes interesting reading.
1 Cor 3:16 Know you not, that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

#21486 - 03/03/09 09:17 PM Re: Why Satanism? [Re: Ichtus]
Mike Offline

Loc: Farmingdale, NY
 Quote:
Why? People normally become involved in groups/organization because it suits their personal outlook/interests. People usually have a good reason for doing things. Doesn't this apply to satanism?

I may be a bit late here, but I think that's what ta2zz was trying to point out. As with most things, you either "are or your aren't" when it comes to Satanism. It appeals to some, and sometimes disgusts and repulses others...And not always for the same reasons. For the Satanist, they are attracted to the religion because it fits in with their own personal beliefs. As with those who are born into religions (meaning they inherit their parents beliefs), eventually we do either 2 things. We can forget about our beliefs, or we can start getting involved with them. Just like with Christians, Satanists get involved with Satanism because they are interested in it and interested with certain aspects of themselves that reflect what they are. As humans we are naturally very curious, so by getting interested into something like Satanism, if one is attracted to it and likes the idea, they'll dive into it. It's the same with any other religion.

Now the whole "dark side" concept is really a matter of opinion. "Dark", or "evil" as you probably meant to say varies by the individual. What it all comes down to is that people will always have their own beliefs and their own ways, and to answer your question plain and simple- we get into Satanism because we want to. You either like it or you don't, and if you do like it, you may consider yourself to be a Satanist. How we get to that point differs between us, but like I said it's the same with anything else. We obviously don't think we're "evil" or "dark" (although I can't speak for everyone), or in better words we don't think what we believe is in anyway morally wrong or bad. It's just our way of life.

I hope that helps in addition to what everyone else has said.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.