Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2136 - 11/22/07 09:22 AM Gross foods... Things you can eat...
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Rat Eaters...

Just for you Mequa...

~T~

#2444 - 11/30/07 02:49 PM Balot : Aborted Duck Embryo, a Filipino delicacy! [Re: ta2zz]
Meq Offline
Banned

IMNSHO, the perception that eating duck embryo is 'wrong' or 'disgusting' is nothing but a Western ethnocentric dietary prejudice.
No different from the Jewish revulsion towards bacon or shrimp.

Duck embryo is actually highly nutritious!
I suspect your attitude towards it would shift if you hadn't eaten food for 5 days and it was your only available source of nutrition!

For me, philosophy extends all the way to the palate.
If the only way to escape from deeply enmeshed cultural prejudice is to do as the Filipinos do, then I'm up for trying it. I bet it IS delicious once one's personal 'disgust barrier' is breached!

Please, think outside the cultural box for once at more than a superficial level... although I appreciate that may be too difficult for many here.
After all, it is so much easier and more comfortable to be a sheep and follow along blindly with your culture's dietary taboos and hang-ups... Come to think of it, I may join ya.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ;\)

P.S.
Here is Wikipedia's article on this crunchylicious bird feast (note the spelling variation: 'Balut' is how it is pronounced, though 'balot' is the more common spelling I found):
Balut

And here is a video of some American students experimenting with crispy embryonic poultry:

In your service,

Mequa

Edited by Mequa (11/30/07 03:41 PM)
Edit Reason: Recommendation: Try it!

#2447 - 11/30/07 03:48 PM Re: Balot : Aborted Duck Embryo, a Filipino delicacy! [Re: Meq]
Meq Offline
Banned

Oh, for those who missed the last image I posted (curiously pulled from wikimedia just after I posted the link...), here is another image of this infamous snack in all its glory:

#2449 - 11/30/07 06:15 PM Re: Balot : Aborted Duck Embryo, a Filipino delicacy! [Re: Meq]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Well, it looks about as appealing as pigs feet.
People eat those pickled too.
I don't think its cultural. I think its just what a person decides they will or wont eat.

If it was cultural, I would eat some nasty things my family has ate in the past.

Pigs feet, knuckles, skin.
Eeels, various octopussies.
Tripe, cows brains, etc.

Just cause you can cook it, doesn't mean you have to eat it.

But, stating that, if the plane goes down...
You all turn into Long Pig on a spit.

Morg

#2452 - 11/30/07 08:46 PM Re: Balot : Aborted Duck Embryo, a Filipino delicacy! [Re: Morgan]
SSSnake Offline
pledge

Loc: PA. U.S.A.
 Quote:
Well, it looks about as appealing as pigs feet .

Morg

\:D YEAH MY PARENTS USE TO COOK FRIED BRAINS, PIG OR COW I WOULD NOT EAT THAT SHIT!
I sure as fuck would not eat pig feet, ears, or snout

Nor any organ shit.

D.L.B .

#2455 - 11/30/07 09:49 PM Re: Balot : Aborted Duck Embryo, a Filipino delicacy! [Re: SSSnake]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
As far as I'm concerned, organs (intestines, stomach) can be used as storage for water and essential animal fats, if dried properly and sanitized. It's what early Homo sapiens sapiens and early tribes were doing to store fats lacking in winter-lean prey, so that they wouldn't slowly starve on a protein-only diet.

Bones can be used as tools and decoration.

Skin can be cured and made into all kinds of useful items.

As for eating any of them? Fuck no. Give me a steak, cooked medium, with garlic mashed red potatoes and buttered sweet corn, and a margarita to wash it all down.

#2459 - 11/30/07 10:53 PM Re: Balot : Aborted Duck Embryo, a Filipino delicacy! [Re: Nemesis]
SSSnake Offline
pledge

Loc: PA. U.S.A.
 Quote:
Give me a steak, cooked medium, with garlic mashed red potatoes and buttered sweet corn, and a margarita to wash it all down.

\:D well a shit yeah I love a steak
and margarita rule! ;\) LOL

D.L.B.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.