Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#29055 - 08/30/09 12:41 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: horrorbiz70]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
What makes a band a Satanist band? I'd say it MUST have these two things:

1. An open self-identification as "Satanist"

2. The use of Satanic themes/ideas/imagery in their music

Danzig and the EHC are perfect examples of Satanic bands. They are both made by actual Satanists and promote Satanic themes and ideas.

Bands like Dimmu Borgir, however, are not Satanic. While their lyrics and image are certainly Satanic, the band does not define themselves as being Satanists. Instead, Satanism is merely a "topic" they use to express their ideas.

Sometimes it can get a bit iffy though. For example, Leaether Strip and X-Fusion are two electro-industrial bands that use Satanic themes in their music (the former did some collaboration with the Electric Hellfire Club as well), but whether they are actually self-identifying Satanists would be the deciding factor if they can really be called "Satanist" bands.

#29058 - 08/30/09 08:30 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: The Zebu]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

Quote:
Danzig dismissed their characterization in his official response through his publicist: "We welcome their disdain". Danzig has repeatedly denied accusations of being a Satanist, saying that while he is spiritual, he rejects all religions, especially organized religion, but is fascinated by the nature of evil and merely finds Satan to be an interesting figure in Christian theology
I grew up about 4 towns away from Lodi where Glenn was born and recall his rise through the music ranks here, damn, I never knew he was a Satanist.

I am also a musician from his area and era. He seemed always into comic books, I know he is a published writer, but I have never read anything. He reminds me a lot of Rob Zombie in that respect. Is he another Satanist? (Zombie)

#29077 - 08/31/09 07:32 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
The Zebu Offline

Blech... I was thinking of King Diamond, sorry... All the Danzig-talk brainwashed my mind.

I doubt Rob Zombie is a Satanist, but he most certainly shares much of LaVey's aesthetic taste, given his penchant for retro and carnivalesque spooky-stuff.

#29080 - 08/31/09 07:55 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: The Zebu]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

Ahh, King Diamond is another story, psycho looking dude for sure!
#29153 - 09/02/09 12:41 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
horrorbiz70 Offline
stranger

Loc: Villa Rica, GA
YES THE KING,not actually a Satanic U.S. band, even though he lives in Dallas, Texas,he is a Denmark national. Having most of his band based there. Early leader of the Satanic Scandinavian black metal with Mercyful Fate.
Great guy TRUE SATANIST.

#29179 - 09/02/09 07:05 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: horrorbiz70]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

Is anyone familiar with Thomas Karlsson's band Therion?
For those not familiar, Karlsson is head of the Dragon Rouge.

#29184 - 09/02/09 08:14 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
At the risk of derailing this thread further than it already is, yes, I am familiar with Therion. The bandleader is Christopher Johnsson, but he is also involved with Dragon Rouge along with Thomas Karlsson. I'm not sure about the other band members.

So, did you have anything else to say about Therion, their music specifically, or are we just playing the "Throw Out Band Names" game?

Homo Homini Lupus

#30948 - 10/29/09 06:45 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
horrorbiz70 Offline
stranger

Loc: Villa Rica, GA
Another band that I have spoken with and became friends with at one time was ... ACHERON. Vincent Crowley is definately SATANIC as are most the people that have been in his band.
#30953 - 10/29/09 08:51 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: horrorbiz70]
Damis Offline
pledge

Loc: England
Therion cover a wide range of subjects, for example their album "Secret of the Runes" focuses on the subject of Norse Mythology. Although their band name is Greek for beast, their reason for using the name is in tribute a band called Celtic Frost.

I don't see them as anything "Satanic", dark.. perhaps but not Satanic due to their wide covering of topics.

#31003 - 10/30/09 09:23 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Damis]
The Zebu Offline

Just because a band doesn't scream "SATAN SATAN GURHBRAHUGHAH I SKULLFUCK CHRISTIANS" every song doesn't mean they're not Satanic.... I consider my own band Ferrum Dei to be Satanic, but I don't think I've ever even used the "S" word in any of my four thusly-released albums.

However, as far as Therion goes, I suspect not quite for a different reason. Therion's songwriter (as he is also the leader of the Dragon Rouge) is clearly an authentic practitioner of the LHP, but I doubt he would define himself as solely "Satanic", and whether or not the performing band shares his views is not known (at least to me).

#31010 - 10/30/09 11:55 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: The Zebu]
Damis Offline
pledge

Loc: England
I would say that it would also depend on how people interpret the lyrical content of music as well. For example, Secret of the Runes by Therion, from what I gather from it, lyrically, isn't Satanic as such, however not all music made by "Satanists" would necessarily carry a Satanic message.

Yes I see what you mean however. My knowledge of Therion is limited to a few albums that appeal to me. However it now sounds like it would be interesting to look into it further :).

#31130 - 11/02/09 07:05 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Forgive the ignorance, but I always assumed that a band that mirrored its image on a religion was just compensating for a lack of talent. (Even if that religion/belief system were similar to my own).

That is to say if a band is genuinely “Satanic” why advertise themselves to be so? Is this not similar to the “Christian rock bands” method of revenue generation? The whole “music by attrition of a demographic” phenomenon in action.

Personally, I listen to the music, and then decide on the merits
of the music/message rather than the “hype” before I purchase an album. Surley a band should let the music speak for its self, rather than the self stialised Satnic “branding” that so many metal bands follow now a days to gain the currency of angry little teenagers?

#31134 - 11/02/09 08:02 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Room 101]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Room 101

Personally, I listen to the music, and then decide on the merits
of the music/message rather than the “hype” before I purchase an album. Surley a band should let the music speak for its self, rather than the self stialised Satnic “branding” that so many metal bands follow now a days to gain the currency of angry little teenagers?

*Sniff* I love ya man. I wanna have your haggis!

#31135 - 11/02/09 08:05 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Jake999]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Unsure of the sentiment attached to that comment Jake...but prey do feel free. The haggis is yours \:\)

I suppose it was about time for the obligatory “Jock” joke...yes, I’m from Scotland \:\)

Edited by Room 101 (11/02/09 08:12 PM)

#31137 - 11/02/09 08:49 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Room 101]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

Lyrics aside for a moment, do any of you feel there is an actual 'satanic sound'? I hear minions who align this dropped C heavier than thou chug to the satanic current, and personally I don't get it. I get more of the vibe from Lustmord or the Doors even, actually there is a CD from M.Ford 'Rite of the Qliphoth' that interests me intensely, unfortunately Ford is unwilling to discuss the details of those compositions, which makes me feel they are not as deep as to how I am hearing them.

On a side note I hope you all enjoyed the little musical ditty I posted on the forum last week! I understand it came in useful this Halloween, \:\)

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.