Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#31138 - 11/02/09 08:55 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Room 101]
Jake999 Offline

No offense meant, Room. Was just so glad to see SOMEONE who realizes that music is music. It's not in and of itself SATANIC or CHRISTIAN. To assign it a box to reside in limits its power. A Christian could write a song with SATANIC CONTENT... a Satanist could write a hymn. The notes are tools, much as anything else in communications.

I point to one song that most probably wouldn't know... Stay Down Here Where You Belong... about Satan talking to his son and telling him to stay in Hell because:

"'Way up above they say that I'm a Devil and I'm bad
Kings up there are bigger devils than your dad
They're breaking the hearts of mothers
Making butchers out of brothers
You'll find more hell up there than there is down below"

The song was written by a Jewish guy named Irving Berlin. He also wrote one of the most cherished of all Christmas songs, White Christmas.

Tools. It's all in how they're used.

#31141 - 11/02/09 09:10 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Jake999]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
None taken at all Jake.

Music like many of the communication medium are simply “tools”; as you so aptly put it. I couldnt agree more.

A subject should be judged by its contents rather than the context within which others contrive it to be viewed.

Content over hype.

#31143 - 11/02/09 09:34 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Room 101]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I apologize for this post being slightly off topic of the topic of satanist bands but the above post about the tools made me think of a particular song by a unique band called Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I'm sure most Satanists can appreciate the feeling of this twisted hymn. Creepyness is a major factor in their sound.
The song is called Hymn to the Morning Star and the video itself is quite strange.

VIDEO

This band's theme is not usually this directly occult. They actually have a whole back-story dadaists (later found to be entirely made up) they claim to write their songs about.

#31320 - 11/05/09 11:29 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Rig]
lewisb Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Rig
 Originally Posted By: Macumba
As an European, i don't know many of them, except Absu.

The metal scene here in the US isn't as good as it is overseas, but there are a couple Satanic black metal bands that come to mind: Grand Belial's Key, Leviathan, Kult ov Azazel, Goatwhore and Judas Iscariot. You already mentioned Absu, who--in my opinion--is the best US black metal band. Like Dimitri said, explore deeper in the genre--you'll find what you're looking for.

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
Search deeper in your genre.. plenty of them...
Most black metal-bands are made out of "Satanists"..
Or are they doing it for their image?... Whatever..

Some are all about the image, others are serious. Slayer, for instance, is hypocritical--Tom Araya is a practicing Catholic, yet most of their music is anti-Christian. Good message, but coming from the wrong person. Then there are other bands such as Mercyful Fate, Bathory, and Rotting Christ, who are--or were--all serious about their music and the messages behind it.

ive exchanged various emails with wrest over the last few years. He is very much the Church of Satan's idea of a satanist. However there is a large degree of nihilism to his character as well.

#31384 - 11/07/09 09:47 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
ME6 Offline
stranger

Loc: Watertown, NY
 Originally Posted By: Ankhhape
Lyrics aside for a moment, do any of you feel there is an actual 'satanic sound'?

I don't think there is a "satanic sound" at all. One band that isn't so satanic sounding but was at one point associated with the CoS (at least there was a link to the bands site on CoS)is Alkaline Trio. I wouldn't have guessed a semi pop punk to be satanic and I'm guessing most haven't either.

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
What makes a band a Satanist band? I'd say it MUST have these two things:

1. An open self-identification as "Satanist"

2. The use of Satanic themes/ideas/imagery in their music

Why is it they have to be open? Is it not understood that if you feel that if it will hinder your social standing or professional growth that you don't need to be open about it? I have used satanic themes and ideas in my music but haven't openly said I was. However, if you know the Satanism ideas or "beliefs," then it is kind of obvious and even to the average person it is questionable.
It's 7:06, with only 60 minutes to an hour, it looks like I'm right on time...

#31386 - 11/07/09 11:00 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: ME6]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

ME6:
 Quote:
I don't think there is a "satanic sound" at all. One band that isn't so satanic sounding but . . .
First you are saying there is no satanic sound then you are saying this band doesn't sound satanic? Which is it?

#31391 - 11/07/09 04:23 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
ME6 Offline
stranger

Loc: Watertown, NY
 Originally Posted By: Ankhhape
ME6:
 Quote:
I don't think there is a "satanic sound" at all. One band that isn't so satanic sounding but . . .
First you are saying there is no satanic sound then you are saying this band doesn't sound satanic? Which is it?

I don't think there is one. But going off what others might think sounds "satanic," ie black metal, Danzig, and others brought up here.
It's 7:06, with only 60 minutes to an hour, it looks like I'm right on time...

#31393 - 11/07/09 05:01 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: ME6]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

I see, excuse me.

I wonder what the 'satanic' sound was in 1967?
I guess eventually there would be Black Sabbath and Jimmy Page mentioning his Crowley purchases. Though neither of them, to me, speak in a satanic current. A couple of lyrics and some associations.

Today we have Danny Carey from Tool who I believe is a Thelemic (?) but in any case he uses ritual and sacred geometry when creating his drum patterns and such, I find that interesting and deeper in an occult current than someone playing a flat 5 or jotting down 'evil' lyrics (not that this is what all the bands mentioned were doing).

Again, I mention M. Ford and his CD 'Rite of the Qliphoth' this is interesting in the view that supposedly the extremely low ended chaotic sounds and tones being mixed within the music and actually being a part of the music, is representative of the Qliphothic forces, though Ford doesn't explain as to how he arrived at these associations.

It can be akin to how we know that the so called sacred solfeggio which is 528Hz, repairs damaged DNA. That being the case there should exist a frequency that destroys DNA?

As Hans Jenny showed us in his Cymatics that order and symmetry can be created out of physical chaos, there must also be sound that creates chaos from order.

I'll stop babbling now!

#31395 - 11/07/09 10:09 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City

"It can be akin to how we know that the so called sacred solfeggio which is 528Hz, repairs damaged DNA. That being the case there should exist a frequency that destroys DNA?"

Don't know about this healing of the Dna bit, have to look into it. Wasnt that part of the movie Dune? The weirding moduals, a sounds was force or death. Now the military and police are using sounds waves to disburst crowds so the noise makes them want to throw up. I am sure that in some government lab, that if a sound wave was developed to make people throw up, another sound wave was created to kill them.

"sound that creates chaos from order"
How about a word, Satan.
That one word will throw most well ordered places into chaos.

\:\)

Morgan

#31425 - 11/08/09 06:43 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Morgan]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

Morgan: yes, perhaps the 'true' word Satan is the vibration that Sets us free?

I'm sure you're aware of the 'Primordial Vibration'?

#31427 - 11/08/09 07:22 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Thanks for bringing that page to our attention. I'm wondering how I can use said scale to help with my own well being. After all, the page that advertises these "Vibrational Healing Sessions" make it pretty vague to be honest.

I guess I'm gonna have to trawl through the vast internet to find out more, eh?

#31431 - 11/08/09 08:19 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: DistroyA]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

Quote:
I guess I'm gonna have to trawl through the vast internet to find out more, eh?
You can always ask me!

#31972 - 11/19/09 05:07 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Ankhhape]
Sceevin Offline
stranger

Loc: Washington
There is alwasy Cradle of Filth, very little satanic mention within the lyrics(Mostly within the album Midian), but in theme, i think they hit the idea. Not really blackmetal, though sometimes they sound it.
i believe that they are from the UK, but they do have a strong following within the states. I didn't see the mentioned, so i thought i should vomit that up here

#38014 - 04/22/10 04:38 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Sceevin]
horrorbiz70 Offline
stranger

Loc: Villa Rica, GA
Cradle Of Filth were not mentioned due to the fact that they are a UK band. Good band ,but, UK none the less.
#38015 - 04/22/10 04:57 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: horrorbiz70]
Meq Offline
Banned

Slightly off-topic, but the mention of Cradle of Filth reminded me of their "Jesus Is A Cunt" T-shirt.

Now I know most here aren't exactly keen on Christians and what they stand for - but to put things in some perspective, compare the following Christian's response on the Cradle of Filth forums to the recent death threats by Muslims over the portrayal of Muhammad in a fluffy bear suit:

Originally Posted By: Paul, Cradle of Filth forums
as a christian i'm not fond of the Jesus is a cunt shirt, but i find it distressing that anyone could be fined for wearing one. What happened to freedom of speech? Sure, it's my God, and I don't like seeing others disrespect my faith, but who am i to tell someone else they have to shut-up? I thought we were all free to express ourselves - which takes tolerance. The fact that cops beat up some kid for his t-shirt says a lot about the world we live in. well, fuck the police...

Muslims as a whole could seriously take a leaf out of his book.
Paradoxically it might even earn them some of the respect they crave so much.

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.