Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#38033 - 04/23/10 09:42 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Meq]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
It's retarded, I know. Fundamentalist Muslims are like a bunch of whiny, spoiled children... with assault rifles and homemade explosive devices.

Anyways, CoF is a cool band (at least their older stuff before they sold their souls to Hot Topic), and they have a knack for trolling Christians, but I wouldn't call them actual Satanists, just iconoclastic and romantic goths.

#40128 - 07/11/10 08:00 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: jesusbeater]
BaronVonShankly Offline

Loc: London
 Originally Posted By: jesusbeater
No ones mentioned poor old Glen Benton and Deicide, although I don't know if mentally ill is a better discription of him than Satanist.
Any one heard the mp3s that were floating around with him on the the Bob Larson Show in the 90's.They're very funny.I actually found them as I was typing this post so heres a link if any one fancies abit of a laugh.It actually reminds me of a conversation between Space Ghost and Zorack on Space Ghost Coast to Coast.
Glenn Benton vs Bob Larson

I found the occasional ones where David Vincent called in were hillarious as well. Ive always found David more coherent and easier to understand than Glen even when he is trying to destroy someone.
Plus Morbid Angel are my favriote band ever.

#41216 - 08/01/10 03:38 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Linaka113]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Linaka113
I know Crebain

No, a thousand times no -- his previous band was a Christian xHCx outfit.

#41217 - 08/01/10 03:41 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Damis]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Damis
I don't see them as anything "Satanic", dark.. perhaps but not Satanic due to their wide covering of topics.

Explore their early years -- up through "Lepaca Kliffoth" -- when they were a death metal band, and before the controversy over political alignment.

http://www.anus.com/metal/therion

#41218 - 08/01/10 03:42 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: SODOMIZER]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

American bands of interest to Satanists:

* Black Funeral
* Infester
* Deicide
* Acheron
* Demoncy
* Incantation
* Averse Sefira
* Absu
* Imprecation
* Blaspherian
* Morbid Angel
* Angelcorpse

You can find a good introduction to them here:

http://www.anus.com/metal

#41229 - 08/01/10 04:27 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: SODOMIZER]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Just out of curiosity, as a Satanist, why 'should' any of these bands be of interest to me? Are you trying to draw some sort of correlation between black metal and Satanism?

Personally, that shit mostly gives me a headache these days.

I'd rather listen to some hank3, or maybe some blue oyster cult.

#41234 - 08/01/10 07:23 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Dan_Dread]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
Just out of curiosity, as a Satanist, why 'should' any of these bands be of interest to me? Are you trying to draw some sort of correlation between black metal and Satanism?

Black metal espouses a philosophy similar to ONA-style Satanism.

Why listen? Because they're good -- otherwise I at least wouldn't recommend them.

"Here dude listen to this random crap I found that's really obscure you'll love it honest!" -- no, not for me.

#41267 - 08/02/10 11:01 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Dan_Dread]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Much Black Metal, or at least archetypal black metal like Mayhem, espouses a very unrefined, juvenile sort of Satanism preoccupied with shock imagery and reverse-Christianity.

Deicide, especially... Glenn Benton comes off as a total moron, although his trolling escapades with Bob Larson still give me a chuckle every now and then.

Whether newer, more coherently Satanic bands like King Diamond, Watain, and Deathspell Omega you consider to be "authentically satanic" could be a matter of debate, there is unquestionably a link between Satanism and Black Metal, albeit not a limiting one.

To regurgitate the overused maxim, black metal is not inherently Satanic, nor is Satanic music restricted to black metal. But the fact remains is that a portion of us DO like satanic black and death metal. So it wouldn't be a giant stretch of the imagination to speculate that MAYBE there might be some Satanists out there who would be interested in that sort of music.

I am a stereotype, I know.

#41269 - 08/02/10 11:38 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: The Zebu]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I think the connection between black metal and most Satanists has little to do with the beliefs of the musicians. Before extreme metal music became another popular norm it was a way of going against the norm in popular music.

Black metal in most cases is based on a love for fast metal, dissonant tone, and shocking aesthetic. I think the blasphemous nature to black metal is more about shock tactics than having a message. The fact that black metal musicians tend to be "in character" when they speak about their music misleads people into thinking the music is a tool of message. If anything I think early black metal was more a rebellion against popular music and studio production than it was against christianity.

Personally I enjoy a lot of black metal because it's an interesting structure and tonality. The aesthetic can help give a song its mood too. In terms of aesthetic I go for Nattefrost, the solo project of the singer from Carpathian Forest which I don't really care for. It's a punk-black metal project that has a sense of humour about the satanic aesthetic. The lyrics are for nothing but shock value, singing mostly about worshipping goats, serving satan, raping and killing women and children, ect. One of the few black metal musicians that lets you know he's not taking his image too seriously.

It's true there are always those that base their musical tastes on "messages" of the artist. These are typically people who don't really "get" music but because society demands everyone think they do they look for music with a quality they can get. Messages are what draw these people in. This is why hippies flock to any pothead on an acoustic guitar and sings about saving the trees.

It's an error to think of music for any purpose but its own sake. If somebody sings something you agree with that's a nice icing on the cake but it's not a musical aspect. If a musician is inspired by beliefs you totally disagree with that doesn't make the music any less because of it. If someone's a theistic devil worshipper that sees their music as an outlet for those feelings then those strong feelings may make the music better. If I heard a christian rock band was fucking amazing I'd listen to it.

If you're looking for some deep satanic message in song lyrics you're looking in the wrong place. If the beliefs of musicians causes is significant in your choice of them then you need to realize you're not listening to the music itself.

Edited by TV is God (08/02/10 11:40 AM)

#41271 - 08/02/10 01:16 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: TV is God]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: SODMOMIZER

Black metal espouses a philosophy similar to ONA-style Satanism.

Oh, you mean the worship of dark acausal gods that look an awful lot like HP Lovecrafts fictional monsters? Burning down churches? etc? I guess if you are 16 and full of angst...

Me, I'm all grown up now, and have come to realize wearing a certain type of clothing or listening to a certain type of music does not make you anything. 'Black metal' is no more a part of Satanism than 'count chocula' is a part of vampirism.

To tell the truth,well hell..I like metal too. Of course the metal I like has a little more musical content than some listed, but tastes are irreverent. What is relevant is that Satanism isn't a fashion accessory.

Originally Posted By: TheZebu

So it wouldn't be a giant stretch of the imagination to speculate that MAYBE there might be some Satanists out there who would be interested in that sort of music.

True. There are also probably a lot of us here that like sandwiches. I guess since a lot of Satanists like sandwiches, sandwiches are also Satanic.

For years neophytes have been making efforts to graft certain musical tastes, or certain aesthetics, or certain styles of dress onto Satanism, in general, and in threads such as this one. It won't be the last time either, more newbies will come.

Yet, every now and then I like to sprinkle a little bit of reality onto the situation and point out that actual autotheists are perfectly capable of defining our own tastes, and define for ourselves, in this context, what qualifies as Satanic.

#41280 - 08/02/10 03:19 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: TV is God]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Deicide, especially... Glenn Benton comes off as a total moron, although his trolling escapades with Bob Larson still give me a chuckle every now and then.

Not to be pedantic, but Deicide isn't black metal. Death metal was more of a mix of stuff, like Morbid Angel where Lovecraft, Crowley, and New Age Satanism all get thrown in the mix.

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
If any non-Norwegian-speakers have the good fortune to come across a translated copy of Håvard Rem's "Innfødte Skrik" (roughly translated as "Native Screams") I recommend you pick it up for a pretty decent description of the Norwegian Black Metal scene from its birth until present date.

I will look for it. "Lords of Chaos" and "Until the Light Takes Us" seem like good resources as well.

Originally Posted By: TV is God
I think the connection between black metal and most Satanists has little to do with the beliefs of the musicians.

I disagree. I think they may not recognize it as Satanism, but the transcendental idealist beliefs of bands like Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Burzum, Emperor, Immortal, et al are coherent with esoteric occultism like Advaita Vedanta or ONA-style Satanism. (They are incompatible with Church of Satan style materialism, that's for sure, or faux nihilism.)

Very many of the public statements of black metal musicians fit into the ONA-style Satanist archetype, although again they're going to upset the materialist/fatalist contingent.

I was always fond of Varg Vikernes' statements:

http://www.burzum.com/burzum/meaning/importance/

The same principles underscore Anton Long's writings or those of Crowley.

Oh, you mean the worship of dark acausal gods that look an awful lot like HP Lovecrafts fictional monsters? Burning down churches? etc? I guess if you are 16 and full of angst...

Me, I'm all grown up now, and have come to realize wearing a certain type of clothing or listening to a certain type of music does not make you anything. 'Black metal' is no more a part of Satanism than 'count chocula' is a part of vampirism.

There are many angry people on the internet who, because they are frustrated with their "real lives," are here to try to be big shots, and they usually do that by trying to put others down.

The text quoted from you above is entirely insinuated ad hominem ("you are immature, therefore your ideas are irrelevant" -- notice how you substituted this text for counterargument) and suggests that type of psychology. I hope not; I'd never wish that living hell on anyone.

#41291 - 08/02/10 03:49 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: SODOMIZER]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Quote:

There are many angry people on the internet who, because they are frustrated with their "real lives," are here to try to be big shots, and they usually do that by trying to put others down.

The text quoted from you above is entirely insinuated ad hominem ("you are immature, therefore your ideas are irrelevant" -- notice how you substituted this text for counterargument) and suggests that type of psychology. I hope not; I'd never wish that living hell on anyone.

Nope, my life is absolutely fantastic, but thanks for caring. \:\)

When it comes to psychoanalysis..well..I'd stick to your day job.

You are, however correct when you state there was an insinuation of ad hominem, as you put it. When it comes to ridiculous superstitious faith based cosmological bullshit of the sort mentioned, (dark gods/acausal/toothfairy) no respect will be afforded by me. Some things need to be mocked.

Is that problematic for you?

My point was that musical tastes are subjective.

#41293 - 08/02/10 03:51 PM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Dan_Dread]
SODOMIZER Offline
pledge

You are, however correct when you state there was an insinuation of ad hominem, as you put it.

Thank you for being honest about that.

I think ad hominem and categorical thinking distract from a good conversation, if you want all parties to participate. What do you think on that topic?

#49131 - 02/19/11 12:06 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: horrorbiz70]
Hegesias Offline

Sewer Goddess, Ashdautas, Arizmenda, Volahn, Nyogthaeblisz, Black Witchery are a few because this board is fucking limited to US bands.

However, these are not scene bands nor pretentious 'arty' drivel, but genuine underground compositions. In who's oppinion? Mine, I also compose anti-art so take my word for it or don't and go listen to pretentious black metal.

Sinister/ violent sound recognition can quicken and influence one’s unconscious. Black Metal advocates evil. Black Metal is dark provocation, a wave of psychological violence across the landscape of civilisation. Anything less than this is alien to black metal and not black at all. Unless you are a subversive Satanist and like to 'cull' mundanes to pop music for the sheer morbid irony.

#49134 - 02/19/11 02:57 AM Re: US Satanist bands [Re: Macumba]
Tesseract Offline

Loc: United States
Stepping away from the metal genres, there is (was? -- don’t know offhand if he’s recording new music under that banner) Allegory Chapel Ltd. A sort of post-industrial, experimental electronics outfit probably most active from the late 1980s thru mid 90s.

A brief biography:
http://thethingonthedoorstep.be/artists.php?id=25

A track from perhaps his best known release, “When Angels Fall”:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPgBnW8czQM

While not necessarily Satanic itself, the American dark ambient project Bestia Centauri was commissioned in 2003 to record a new version of The Self Immolation Rite.
http://www.aferecords.com/artists/bestia_centauri.htm

In the early 2000s there was an American artist working as “Veinke”, producing Black ambient:
http://www.last.fm/music/Veinke

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.