Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#21578 - 03/05/09 02:16 PM A writer, his power and his art.
Dimitri Offline
stalker

A writer: his power and his art.
A writer, a story-maker, someone who puts his ideas on paper is creating a new world.
A world of itís own, ruled by the sword we call the pen. The writer is the god handling this tool. By his mere hand he can let things collide and he can built things. One word is enough to make a new person. Another words describes the person and explains his actions, his ideas and his whereabouts. It might be one sentence long, but already the writer, as a god, created something new to the reader. The reader, on itís turn, forms the described world from the writers sentences who starts to act as a guide who is providing the reader the nessecary steps to find the gates to this new world which is being develloped.

Already now as you are reading this, I am taking you away from the ďreal worldĒ and am directing you to develop the new world only directed by my guidelines. Now it is my task to continue writing your journey within this world guided by the words I provide. On this very moment while you are reading this sentence, you have fallen under my might. The writer itís might! You are now submitting your toughts and fantasies into my hands and the fact you are still reading indicates you want to continue your journey. Maybe as in some other books you might have read, you are feeling the urge to continue reading. You know you are bound to my will and guidelines in this world Iím starting to create. In front of you, you might see a little book, maybe some white or colored papers with words. But deep within your mind, a new world is in development. The development of this world is getting slower now. Thatís because I, as a writer, maybe even as a god in this new world, wants it to develop slowly. I have the power to put it onto a hold at this very moment. I also have the power to develop it into a full working dimension or universe full of strange creatures. I have the power to create it, but I also have the power to destroy it in a mere second at the end of this sentence.
But Iím not willingly yet to stop, nor am I in the mood of ending your journey. Some will probably say Iím not affecting their toughts. Those people I put to question. If Iím not affecting your toughts, why are you still reading? And why do you want to answer these questions I provided deep inside of you? Also, why do some of you still have the urge to read further? Iím merely guiding your toughts within this text.

You see, even if you werenít questioning yourself about me affecting your toughts, I advice you to question yourself. If you do so, you will notice the power ,I, at the moment have. You will feel my power resonating deep inside your body. Operating on a level you were aware of, yet not knowing I slowly was taking controle of your toughts.

Perhaps there will be individuals I will not affect, or at least they might think so. Maybe at some day in the very far future, they will remember this text and they might start wandering. Recreating this new world by my few guidelines they remember, sufficent enough for me to take controle once again. So do not or never underestimate the powers I am displaying now.
Even at this moment after all these relevations and evidences Iíve made and you are now aware of, you still are bound to me. The evidence of this, is the plain fact that you are reading the sentence I have been writing.

These paragraphs have given you the opportunity to actually feel the might I have at the moment.But words, sentences and paragraphs on itís own are useless. The art of writing lies in the competence of the writer and itís fantasy. It also lies within itís writingstyle and within the coherence of his sentences and paragraphs. One might call himself a good writer just because he knows how to write a few words. But calling yourself a good writer is not the same as being one. A good writer understands his art and knows the power of the words he is using.
A good writer is someone godlike. He has the power to create, destroy, rebuild, kill, annhilate, revive a complete universe created by his own hands. He only does this if he wants to.
A writer forced by itís reader to change the course of itís story is not a good writer.
If this occurs the writer has become a powerless tool of commerce. He hasnít got the powers to bind the people to itís will, he hasnít got the might to make things happen in his universe as he wants it to. He has become as a small puppet on a string who on itís turn is making the universe by another will of itís own. He has lost his godlike powers.

The art is best not taken lightly. Nowadays, everyone who is feeling important or has been on television or in the local news is starting to write books, essays, stories or biographies. It is blasphemy into my eyes. These people understand the art of putting words on paper, but they do not comprehend the power of words, nor do they gasp the whole art behind it all. The art that is difficult to be learned, the art that needs feeling to be mastered, the art that (like most things) asks sacrifices in the form of some failures to be learnt from, the art of you taking controle by guiding the reader. I see them, and probably so do you, postering with a smile. Acting like they were intelligent enough to gasp the art, acting as they understood the whole mechanism, acting like they knew what power lies within words. I am not advicing you not to open their works. Every book, essay, scripture contains information. And if the writings are incoherent, they provide information about the writer. It might indicate what kind of ideas are floating trough itís mind, it might show you some insight into his world, it might even give you the evidence the writer or author is just a person who is trying to posture.

As this has been written, the world I am creating within your mind has expanded quite a bit. To the world I was guiding you to, you have added expierences, own opinions, ideas and perhaps other worlds other writers before me have created. You still are bound to me since you are still reading these words I have been writing and whom have been written. The first part of the world I created within your mind is coming to an end. Things you werenít aware of at first within MY world I have created within YOU should be clear now. If they arenít clear reread again and try to feel it. Everything should be clear then.

At last the first part of my world has been formed and will be set deep inside your mind. It is time to open the second gate in this universe and to describe which things are happening inside. Since you canít make up MY world as I want it to, I will continue being your guide untill I declare the universe I have created to be finished. But now it is time to delve deeper into MY world and to highlight a new part. A part in which the power of words will be explained and shown. It will expand the universe I thusfar have created inside of you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
It's one of my essays I've been writing in my free time, I post it here to get some feedback or comments. Maybe I can trigger a little discussion about it...
It is only one part of the complete text I'm writing at the moment which you should have noticed in the last paragraph.

Edited by Dimitri (03/05/09 02:16 PM)

#22392 - 03/22/09 07:42 PM Re: A writer, his power and his art. [Re: Dimitri]
Morbid Rex Offline

The message behind this essay resonated with me. I'm just getting back into the literary arts and reading and I adhere to the power that words have over Humanity. It is words that have molded our entire society and belief systems. It is a wonderful think to be able to sway a persons heart and mind with the simple stroke of a pen on paper.

I plan on attending College in Fall to study literature and take up writing professionally, do you have any advice on what classes I should take?

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#22420 - 03/23/09 12:51 PM Re: A writer, his power and his art. [Re: Morbid Rex]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I don't give advice about that...
Only thing I can say is: you are going to have a VERY hard time..

#22423 - 03/23/09 03:43 PM Re: A writer, his power and his art. [Re: Dimitri]
Morbid Rex Offline

I'm sure I'll pick it up pretty quick actually. I'm a naturally good writer, though I've been neglecting the talent for years now and I admit I'm probably not as good as I was or could have been at this point. I was reading on a College level and writing six page (give or take) essays when I was thirteen in eight grade, and won all kinds of little awards for writing shit when I was younger. So it would seem at least to me that I naturally excel in this area. It's my hope that going to College and getting back into the swing of writing properly will do me some good.

I also don't try to write THAT good on here, I seem to lack the patience to make everything perfect on a forum that I used to possess.

#22425 - 03/23/09 04:12 PM Re: A writer, his power and his art. [Re: Morbid Rex]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I was talking about your continued studying at college that is going to be hard.

Anyway, past is past, it's not because you won little awards years ago for it you still have "the touch". Practice makes perfect, it's not because I can read classical french littrature in 3rd grade at secondary modern I automatically can write mind-blowing poems/essays or texts.. There is a difference between the ability to read and the ability to do..
Hell, I even admit this one isn't even near perfection in my eyes.

#22427 - 03/23/09 05:25 PM Re: A writer, his power and his art. [Re: Dimitri]
Morbid Rex Offline

Yeah I've been writing random things lately to get back into the feel of doing it. Little short essays on things and poems. I've also been getting back into reading and managed to scrounge up a little collection of books. I've currently started up For Whom The Bell Tolls, I'm liking it so far.

That classic French literature's always struck something with me, so many great pieces came from that region. You have any suggestions?

#22435 - 03/23/09 08:58 PM Re: A writer, his power and his art. [Re: Morbid Rex]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Everyone's college experience is, for the most part, different. You do not really need to ask what classes you should take; most college departments devise a curriculum based on what your major is. Most universities (at least here in the States), in an effort to produce more well-rounded students, have classes that must be taken, regardless of what your major is. Be prepared to take at least one math class; you will most likely have to take a certain number of credit hours in the liberal arts, and in the humanities; be also prepared to take at least one lab science, as well as several semesters of a foreign language (unless you can test out of that requirement; ask your counselor about this). In essence, once you get there and you tell them what you want to study, your academic future is already mapped out. Some choices will be left up to you; these are typically elective courses. Take whatever literature courses outside of those that are required that interest you. Also, if you do not have anything, most schools, for a literature requirement, require you to submit a writing sample; a short story or an essay. You would be ill-advised to submit a poem. I mean this in no disrespectful way; poetry is a subtle art with many nuances, whereas as a short story or an essay leaves little room for misinterpretation; in other words, it would be too risky. Your submission can literally make or break the decision of admitting you.

I would like to leave you with one last kernel of truth; it is a small one and, therefore easy to overlook or ignore altogether. Bear in mind that I was a music major, but writing still had a very important place in my education. In a seminar welcoming the new and returning students, my department chair gave us these words: "If you want to write good, read good writers." It states the obvious, I know, but few people really follow this piece of advice. It pretty much goes without saying, and that is the problem. Reading great works by some of the greatest authors in the history of literature is key to an education on how to be a good writer.

Dmitri is absolutely correct; you are in for a tough time, but nothing worth doing is ever easy. Good luck in the fall.

Homo Homini Lupus

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.