Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#21687 - 03/07/09 11:11 AM A Modest Proposal
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
In the interest of bring up the overall quality of discourse here I would like to offer a yet another quality control measure.

At the moment, when the inmates try to take over the asylum they may find themselves banned, temporarily banned, or have their profile modified to more accurately reflect their personality.

Would it be possible to simply limit people to the Satanism 101 forum until they have proven that they can handle more responsibility?

My proposal is to use this as a punishment or warning prior to issuing a temporary or permanent ban.

#21689 - 03/07/09 11:23 AM Re: A Modest Proposal [Re: Fist]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I might be seen by others of a person who provides generally less quality, however I agree with fist for another quality control measure.
Some generally interesting topics have been turned into pathetic flamewars or cries for attention of the less intelligent people whom show their ignorance..

#21695 - 03/07/09 12:27 PM Re: A Modest Proposal [Re: Fist]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I like your idea, Fist.

The only way I can see that being possible is by structuring subforum access by status (lurker, stranger, pledge, member, etc). Limiting/restricting access on an individual basis would be too tedious to be worthwhile. They should be able to read the posts in other subforums, just not be able to post anywhere but Satanism 101.

We'll have to put that idea to the All-Mighty Admins ;\).

#21698 - 03/07/09 12:41 PM Re: A Modest Proposal [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Come to think of it, all the better.

If the architecture of the site does not provide for this then it will require the individual to exercise self discipline.

Warn him in PM and then post the warning in the Hall of Shame. If he posts in other forums during his probation then he can get some sort of ban.

#21701 - 03/07/09 01:03 PM Re: A Modest Proposal [Re: Fist]
Jake999 Offline

On the forum I'm hosting, there's a way to limit what people have access to, based on the number of posts OR their title description. For example, a person who's a newbie could be granted access only to (in this case) Satanism 101 and the Media Room. Once the reach a posting goal (by number or changing of their title description) they would have access to more, as appropriate.

However, I can see some problems with the proposal in that if/when someone with some intellectual capability makes their way to the site and finds himself strictly confined to "the kid's pool," he/she's not going to stick around very long. Also, and I hate so say it, the constant bickering and quarreling over semantics, personalities and endless point-by-point pointless debating over petty differences on the boards is probably more effective at disruption than most of the "sub-par" posts by newbies that moderators can usually get control of with a quick 10 day ban.

#21702 - 03/07/09 01:24 PM Re: A Modest Proposal [Re: Jake999]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Good concept, bad idea. By using numbers or status as ruler to gain access to other areas, you create a culture of posting whores. I only need 10 more posts to reach Member status and then I can gain access to the naked picture section. So you end up with that user posting a bunch of nonsense in a blitz. Hi, I agree, I picked my nose just now. Ten nonsense posts later, they are a member and have access to the naked picture forum.

We've seen it in the past, and it continues today.

#21703 - 03/07/09 01:35 PM Re: A Modest Proposal [Re: fakepropht]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Maybe it is possible to create a 'noob' or 'kiddo' rank/title that has limitations to 101, so if someone deserves it, only their rank needs to be changed to limit their access. To reverse it, setting it to user again. In theory it sounds pretty simple to me.

And about the bickering and quarreling; that's how it always has been. We all got "I'm special" scarred in our brains, if we didn't think we're the shit, we'd be rather out of place here and this unavoidably leads to bickering, arguing and all connected to it. I do think it is necessary. I have seen many cases before that present them as secure and mature and crumble to pieces when someone attacks them. I do think a satanist knows how to conquer his place amongst others, knows how to socially interact and 'play' the game. They should be able to survive and adapt to the heat and bend it to their advantage. It's all about hierarchy, dominance and merit. After a while, things settle and other noobs need to define their worth and position. Those that don't survive were confused about themselves to begin with.

D.

#21708 - 03/07/09 04:44 PM Re: A Modest Proposal [Re: Diavolo]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I agree with Diavolo. I like the fact that here are the wolves, predators all too ready and able to tear apart an idea that can not stand up on it's own merit. It puts the blades that are our wits to the stone, some get sharpened and others break.

As for the original idea I don't really see the point. The ones destined to feel the boot are going to feel it, regardless where they place their sub quality posts.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.