Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2176 - 11/23/07 07:38 PM Questions about Gumbo
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
I've never made it, never had it, but I want to try. I've got a lot of time to kill, and I don't mind wasting food if it winds up being something I don't like.

Does anyone know any recipies? Anything that worked for them? I'm usually not partial to seafood, but I'll try anything. I don't know anywhere local that serves it, so that's out of the question for just trying it first.

#2177 - 11/23/07 07:59 PM Re: Questions about Gumbo [Re: undeadridinghood]
Dragan Kasimir Offline
stranger

Loc: Denver, CO
The best Gumbo you will ever eat will never come from a cook book - at least in my experience. Gumbo is a universal dish that comes in many shapes and flavors.

Generally, there are three parts to Gumbo.

- Rice.
- Meat.
- Spice.

That simple – best way to start off is with some chicken stock, use it to cook the rice. I prefer brown rice, usually long grain, but any works. While the rice is boiling cook your favorite meats – what I use in my gumbo is Chicken, Shrimp, and Sausage. But you can replace those with anything!

When cooking the meat, you don’t want to cook it all the way through at this point, just get sear the meat. Take it off the heat, chop it up. Once the meat is diced, time to work on the spice.

At this point your rice should be about half way done – meaning the mixture should be about half stock, half rice. Turn the heat down a bit.

Time for the spice, I usually add Black Pepper, Basil, Cayenne Pepper, Tabasco, Beer (Only if you like it, and whatever you have in the Fridge, I use Guinness), and then the peppers! I use Onions, Red Bells, and Green Bells; cut them however you prefer them, minced is usually performed.

Throw the actual spices in with the rice, stir. Then throw the peppers in with the meat and return to heat. Sauté this for a little while, just until the peppers get tender, then throw the meat and peppers in with the rice.

Cover, let simmer for an hour, so all the flavors can have time to chat and find out the latest podcast roaming YouTube. Then it is ready to enjoy!

But like I mentioned earlier, there are so many styles of Gumbo, try as many as you can! Watch the food channel, every now and then they have New Orleans oriented shows teaching about all the dishes of the Cajun menu!

-D. Kasimir

#2185 - 11/24/07 05:09 AM Re: Questions about Gumbo [Re: Dragan Kasimir]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
I actually got the idea of making gumbo from "Food 911" on Food Network. Their recipe was basically the same, except they used okra and a roux to thicken, which I think are gumbo basics. I don't think they used rice at all in the stew itself, just poured the finished product over a bowl of rice. How long are the cooking times for what you make?
#2194 - 11/24/07 11:58 AM Re: Questions about Gumbo [Re: undeadridinghood]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
Gumbo

What have we become?

~T~

#2197 - 11/24/07 12:36 PM Re: Questions about Gumbo [Re: undeadridinghood]
Dragan Kasimir Offline
stranger

Loc: Denver, CO
 Originally Posted By: undeadridinghood
I actually got the idea of making gumbo from "Food 911" on Food Network. Their recipe was basically the same, except they used okra and a roux to thicken, which I think are gumbo basics. I don't think they used rice at all in the stew itself, just poured the finished product over a bowl of rice. How long are the cooking times for what you make?

I never really time it, I never leave the stove when I cook, so I do it all by eye, lol.

Okra is a great addition to a lot of dishes, Okra and Tomatoes over rice has been a side dish in my family for many years. Rather or not to use rice in the stew or not is also eater's preference. In New Orleans, different restaurants will serve it different ways.

Anyways, Sorry I can't provide a time sheet, but the previous post has tons of recipes (was just looking over) and many of them sound quite good, I am going to cook gumbo tonight now!

#2261 - 11/26/07 12:11 AM File [Re: Dragan Kasimir]
Meq Offline
Banned

I was wondering if you had any experience using file (fee-lay) in Gumbo, in powdered or other forms?

Apparently it is used as an additional thickening agent (in addition to the okra and roux), and (with file gumbo) is added immediately before serving.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.015 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.