Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#50445 - 03/05/11 01:11 AM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Hegesias]
WildFlame Offline
stranger

Loc: Northeast, USA
I was doing a ridiculous amount of Tang Soo Do and then my husband was laid off so I felt I should quit ($$$$). I still practice my forms and some of the kicking and punching techniques.

Now, I'm starting to gain weight. I'll probably start lifting (at home) again. My concern is that weight training drives my appetite through the roof.

I'll probably have to do a combination of high-fat/low-carb, high-intensity intervals on my elliptical, and weight training. I'm female and carbs do not like me.

Edited by WildFlame (03/05/11 01:12 AM)

#51352 - 03/19/11 09:15 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Morbid Rex]
bremloc Offline
stranger

Loc: Ohio
I currently do not, However I am planning my routine and diet etc. I bought some one a day vitamins, I just want to tone and lose weight its hard to be imposing when you look like a young santa claus.
#51836 - 03/27/11 11:23 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: bremloc]
Shea Offline

Loc: Chicago
Intense exercise keeps me well adjusted, and I'll forever be attached to it. I weigh 170 and I'm trying to incrementally build mass. I work out 6 days a week: a variety of traditional isotonics and isometrics. I prefer to work in the mid-rep range to maintain my joints. I usually stick with sets of 12-15; so 275lbs on squats, 210 on bench, and 315 on deadlifts.
For cardio/aerobics I run/bike for transportation, and it has worked out fantastically for me. During the winter I ran through the snow/cold from my train to work (about 2 miles), and back at the end of my shift. When summer rolls around, I'll be making the 12 mile bike trip again.

#51870 - 03/28/11 09:25 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Shea]
Hegesias Offline

My shoulder is now rehabilitated and I'm back on track but my lifts have suffered somewhat. I'm 152lb 5'7 and benching 190 for 8 reps, my arms went down to 15" while I was resting my shoulder for months, but I'll build back up in no time. I still have very low body fat.

I have one of those excellent p90x pull up bars come a few days ago, but guess what, my door frames in my new flat are all next to corner walls, this means there is no room to put it up ha! Oh well I will just keep going to the gym to do my back routine. My gym is 24/7 pin code access, this is ideal because I sleep through the entire day.

I wonder if anyone will post some workout videos on here.

#52275 - 04/06/11 12:07 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Hegesias]
Munki1 Offline
stranger

I do interval training and have been taking Krav Maga for a few years.

It's got me pretty fit.

#52359 - 04/07/11 07:28 AM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Morbid Rex]
Liadan Offline
stranger

Loc: Netherlands
I really love exercising. I'm not a huge fan of weightlifting, but more of active sports like swimming and running, it really clears my head, boosts creativity and make me feel great inside my body. I also do lots of yoga to keep my body lean and flexible. I also love to put my body to it's limits and do things I never expected by doing things like climbing. Also, I dance a lot!
#52361 - 04/07/11 07:41 AM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Liadan]
Hegesias Offline

Nice, it's only logical to choose exercise.

There is nothing negative about weight training, I have done it since I was 17. I find reading occult literature is relaxing between workouts.

I must get to the gym more often although I have Olympic weights in my flat I don't have everything the gym has.

#52578 - 04/09/11 06:23 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Hegesias]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I do it Dinosaur Style.

I have a rather severe situation with one of my legs (motorcycle crash, decades of surgeries, nuff said) that stops me from really going crazy but my main focus is finding really heavy shit and moving it around.

I have a 700 pound boulder in my back yard. I roll it around, any way I can. Out at the barn I move 10"x10"x 8' landscape timbers. I just roll them, pick up and swap ends etc and move them from one of the field to the other. Sometimes back.

I have an olympic bar and several hundred pounds of weight. Sometimes I load that up to what I can carry and walk around with it.

I'm not really picky, varieties of sizes and shapes keep it interesting. I have a 400# marble table top in the back yard I flip over and over (used to be my dining table). Bags of cement are good, anvils are good, sledge hammers on tires are good.

No gym for me. They'd throw me out for trying to slide the equipment around.

#52580 - 04/09/11 07:09 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Fnord]
Hegesias Offline

Nice! We used to have a tractor tire and flip that as far as we could. I like your D.I.Y. hardcore style. By using your whole body flipping those apparatus around you get those important tie in muscles that usually only swimming can target.

I'm anti machine myself and do everything free weights, I can't do pull downs at a 5-8 reps weight because the weight I need is heavier than my small body ha! Wide grip pull ups for me, lots of them.

I can't have my heavy bag in this flat and it's going to go mouldy left outside in the rain *cries*.

A young boxer comes here to train still and he's about the only one who turns up any more.

Edited by Hegesias (04/09/11 08:01 PM)

#52581 - 04/09/11 07:30 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Hegesias]
Fnord Offline

The lady that owns the barn where we keep our horse has an old truck that's just sitting there with a tow chain on it. I've considered picking up the chain and seeing if I can drag the truck through the field. That may be my summer workout plan \:\)

I had an old heavy bag for a while. I tried carrying it up and down stairs but my hammered leg wouldn't allow me to continue that workout. It was great though!

Another one that kills is pinch gripping a 25# plate and carrying it around as long as you can. Your hands and forearms start screaming after a while.

#52636 - 04/10/11 08:08 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Fnord]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Sir, did you state that you are in fact a Dino like myself and my dear mentor's Mr. Brooks D Kubik, Dr. Ken, and Prof. Brad Steiner???

Hmmm, I have always been partial to a heavy sandbag lug and load and a water filled beer keg.

Sigh, some of my best and most torture filled moments were in the garage with the rack and my olympic barbell set.

Sigh, I wish Brooks would bring back his old blog, I used to love contributing to it and talking with him.

#52638 - 04/10/11 08:32 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: ]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Okay for all the sick minded Dinosaur type people here, I offer this workout.

This is what I call my advanced Dino program. I followed this bastard for six weeks and wiped myself out on it.

Day One

1. Bottom Position Rack Squats 5 progressively heavier singles working up to 1 rep max.
2. Bottom Position Rack Half Squats 4 progressively heavier singles working up 1 rep max.
3. Bottom Position Rack Quarter Squats 4 progressively heavier singles working up to 1 rep max.
4. Deadlifts 5 progressively heavier singles working up to 95% of one rep max
5. Quarter Deadlifts in rack 4 progressively heavier singles working up to 95% of one rep max.

Day Two

1. Barrel or Bag Clean and Press 6 Attempts with progressively heavier barrels/kegs
2. Nightmare carry time You will need two heavy dumbbells, a heavy barbell, a sandbag and a barrel/keg. You will carry the barbell deadlift style across the lawn and drop it, pick up the dumbbells and walk back across the lawn, drop the dumbbells and pick up the sand bag and carry it back across the lawn, drop it and carry the barrel back. On and on as non-stop as you can.
3. Lay on ground and curse the day you ever heard of D.T.

This is a good all round one, with more of a focus on legs and back. Only perform two days a week.

#52661 - 04/11/11 10:55 AM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: ]
Babylonian Dream Offline
stranger

Loc: Upstate New York
Now that the snow has melted away enough, I've been doing 60-70 miles a week on bike. The bulk of that being on the way to work, but there is alot I also do just to work out. Its good cardio.

#52665 - 04/11/11 12:23 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: ]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
Sir, did you state that you are in fact a Dino like myself and my dear mentor's Mr. Brooks D Kubik, Dr. Ken, and Prof. Brad Steiner???

Hmmm, I have always been partial to a heavy sandbag lug and load and a water filled beer keg.

Sigh, some of my best and most torture filled moments were in the garage with the rack and my olympic barbell set.

Sigh, I wish Brooks would bring back his old blog, I used to love contributing to it and talking with him.

I really don't know much about who's who in the game... I've just always been attracted to trying to lift/move heavy objects versus the aesthetics of bodybuilding. I've only recently run across Kubik's blog and have been enjoying reading his stuff.

Trying to make a sort of set workout of it all really came from reading about Bill Kazmaier trying to press the Inch dumbell (176Lbs) one handed. The main difference between this dumbell and others is that the grip is super fat (2-3") versus the traditional skinny grip. That led me to grip strength, bending nails etc which led to stripping the glamor off of everything to do with working out.

It's really an old story for me though. My brother and I grew up in the country and one of our pastimes was to take the trash can (one of those old metal kinds) out and see how far we could fill it with snakes (non venomous, of course). The novelty for me became seeing how big of a rock I could flip while my brother caught whatever was underneath. I got strong doing that (and throwing hay bales). Using my body to push/pull/lift things became something I was always testing (and still am).

These days I'm into it for building sheer animal power and nothing else. I'm too old and too scarred for vanity and, truth be told, I was never all that pretty even in youth when those things seem to peak.

Anyway, I've been reading Big Steel for a while. Building this kind of raw strength, to me, has many-an-application.

#52686 - 04/11/11 06:24 PM Re: Anybody workout? [Re: Fnord]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Cool stuff, I actually made my own challenge dumbbell for kicks.

I took a regular dumbbell handle and wrapped it in roll after roll of insulation tape until the handle was a 3 inch thick handle.

It was a little bastard of a thing, which I called Matt's Challenge Dumbbel. I would set it up with about 30 kilos or more and try and lift the thing. Boy, oh boy, those old timers had real grip strength.

There are some good books, DVD's and great tools on hand strength, which you can get from the people at Ironmind enterprises, which is a company I highly recommend for grip strength enthusiasts.

Man, I was like a committed single minded Dinosaur for years. Still train, but that obsession has dried out a little.

http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/

You have to check out the above link. I don't know who is posting all these old articles (maybe Anthony Ditillo's son?) but there are absolute gems there.

http://www.atomicathletic.com/

And something to dream about.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.