Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#21804 - 03/09/09 06:51 PM The Obstacle in our Path.
Rasha Offline
stranger

Here is a short story of wisdom (from an unknown author) I found interesting. Over the years I have trained myself to see opportunity within everything. This story demonstrates its benefits:

In ancient times, a King had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock.

Some of the kirig's wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it. Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the stone out of the way.

Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. Upon approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. After the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been.

The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway.

The peasant learned what many of us never understand. Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

Edited by Rasha (03/09/09 06:52 PM)

#21875 - 03/11/09 01:11 PM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: Rasha]
KaosKrieg Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC, USA
To do something about it instead of moaning and bitching...hmm.

It's time to get off the computer and get on with my life for now...

#21879 - 03/11/09 02:05 PM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: KaosKrieg]
Rasha Offline
stranger

Good interpretation. There is opportunity in everything if you open your eyes.
#23891 - 04/29/09 05:33 PM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: Rasha]
Rose Offline
stranger

Loc: No ones concern
I think it funny how most stories you hear like the one here always have the poor/weak/all around under dog as the hero or one to complete the task. All has to do with symbolism, aye. You do have a point Rasha. Glad you shared this.

#23910 - 04/30/09 03:41 AM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: Rasha]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I wonder who read the note to him...

"Peasants in ancient times" were illiterate. Most kings were too, for that matter. As a general rule, only clergy were trained to read and write.

I would have told the fucker that the note said the gold was mine.

THAT'S opportunity.

#23917 - 04/30/09 03:22 PM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: ceruleansteel]
OG MUPPET Offline
stranger

Loc: st/louis Mo.
CS. Don't take this the wrong way but, I think I love you. lol

"No good deed, goes unpunished" I live by these words, & not because Anton quoted them, but because they've proving them selves a 100 times over. Every stray I've taken in, to every "favor" I've ever done, has been taxing (to me)in some way or another.

If I where the peasant in the story, it would read as follows...

I was on my way to market, when I came upon a large stone in the path-way. I debated to walk around it, but thought, "a horse draw carriage might not be able to stop & crash into it" so a lay down my goods, & started to move the stone. It was heavy, so I use all my mite to move it to the down hill side of the path, in hopes the Earth (gravity) would take it the rest of the way. "I did it!" & suddenly my legs go numb & an excruciating pain in my groin maketh me lame in the path-way. Laing there in agonizing pain, I hear the stone continuing down the hill when it abruptly made a large shattering sound, follow by a womens' scream. Just then, a man who looked a lot like our our Lord (the king) jumped from the brush & walked over to me. Laying helpless, I pleaded with him to asset me, as he looked around to see if any one was watching. Then he proceeded to roll me over, & sodomize me. Afterwords he pick a small puers from the ground, & pulled a single coin from it, flicking it at me, stating "thank thou, I needed that" & then he disappeared into the woods. Shortly after, a mob of angry villagers surrounded me; apparently the stone had went though a noble mans' house, killing his only new born baby son. The mob said "you shell burn at the steak for this". Knowing if I do, my wench & children would most defiantly starve.

The moral of my bull shit story is; Don't risk personal heath or wealth, on people you don't know or love, you'll find out, that most of the time, their just shit-heads getting what they deserve & it will come at the cost of you & yours'.

Edited by OG MUPPET (04/30/09 03:27 PM)

#25148 - 05/30/09 03:35 PM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: OG MUPPET]
Scarlett156 Offline
pledge

Loc: rural Eastern Colorado (USA)
^^^ ROFL.

There's not much I can add here, but: If you ask me, that king had too much darn time on his hands. I mean, shit: If I found out that MY king was hiding in some bushes waiting to see how people reacted to a damn rock in the road, I would expose his stupid ass and call noisily for his abdication. *nods sagely with pursed lips* The king needs to do his job just like ever'body else!

~~~ yours in Chaos, Scarlett

#25154 - 05/30/09 06:55 PM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: Scarlett156]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Scarlett156
There's not much I can add here, but: If you ask me,

We didnít but you will try anyway.

that king had too much darn time on his hands.[/quote
To whose standards do you hold the king peasant?

[quote=Scarlett156]I mean, shit: If I found out that MY king was hiding in some bushes waiting to see how people reacted to a damn rock in the road, I would expose his stupid ass and call noisily for his abdication.

*Whispers, Sire this peasant is trying to start an uprising.* The king will see you now.

*nods sagely with pursed lips* The king needs to do his job just like ever'body else!

*Without even looking in your direction the king waves his hand* Guards off with this traitors head cries the kings squire!

The guard smiles as he draws his sword.

~T~

#25188 - 06/01/09 12:15 AM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: ta2zz]
LSDiesel Offline
stranger

Loc: California, U.S.
Literal interpretations of the original story are silly. I appreciated the symbolism, Rasha.
#25211 - 06/01/09 01:08 PM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: LSDiesel]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
 Quote:
Literal interpretations of the original story are silly. I appreciated the symbolism, Rasha

There was nothing symbolic about that story, and the story was poorly constructed.

If you live your life looking for signs and symbols and trying to read symbollic meaning into everything that happens, you might as well start worshiping the god of fate and hoping that the signs he is giving you are good ones.

And you aren't in 101 anymore, so if you have a reply, give it some meat. We don't like chewing on bones around here.

#25227 - 06/02/09 12:05 AM Re: The Obstacle in our Path. [Re: OG MUPPET]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
OG, I like your style. \:D

Your "Monty Pythonesque" version of events ( with a gay twist!) struck more of a chord with me than the original fairytale, and the "moral of the story" pertaining to never risking your personal health or wealth on people who don't cut the mustard.... so true.

I've made the mistake of taking in a couple of worthless strays in my time, but at least the resulting angst,frustration and contempt that I ended up feeling taught me never to fall into that trap again.

To the OP, nice story I suppose.... If your a toddler being soothed to sleep by your Ma.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.