Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2183 - 11/24/07 02:36 AM Chat Dates
Dragan Kasimir Offline
stranger

Loc: Denver, CO
I am not sure if an idea like this has already been established or not, I simply did not see a forum or thread for it.

But it could be interesting to set a time and date to host a large live discussion in the Chat Room provided by the 600 club, perhaps turn it into a once a week cabal, i.e. Every Sunday at 8pm.

Can take a vote to narrow the time and day down, But we could pick a topic each week randomly and see where it takes us.

Just a suggestion that could be fun. I hate to see a great feature wasted.

-D. Kasimir

#2186 - 11/24/07 05:22 AM Re: Chat Dates [Re: Dragan Kasimir]
xear Administrator Offline
Admin

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If you guys can 1.) come to some sort of rough consensus on when a weekly chat should be held and 2.) show that there is some interest in setting this up - I'll put a posting on the main page, and possibly put up a site-wide notice during the weekly chat times.

- R

#2190 - 11/24/07 09:05 AM Re: Chat Dates [Re: xear]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
We have taken a few stabs at it. Hearding cats comes to mind.

But, I'm in. For me, Friday and Saturday evenings around 8:00pm would be best. I am married with two kids and my wife works weekends, so I don't have a whole hell of a lot to do on Saturday night.

#2191 - 11/24/07 09:52 AM Re: Chat Dates [Re: Fist]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
We have to make sure we all know what time zone we're talking about. The UK is 5 or 6 hours ahead of Eastern US, S. Australia is 16 hours ahead of E. US, etc....Everyone's 8pm is different.

#2201 - 11/24/07 04:34 PM Re: Chat Dates [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
How about the international standard?

GMT.

For the east coast that is -5 GMT or 0100hrs GMT.

The first thing I googled:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

#2287 - 11/26/07 01:25 PM Re: Chat Dates [Re: Fist]
Meq Offline
Banned

So, 8pm Eastern time will be 1am in the UK (GMT) - assuming we are going by the needs of East Coast Americans.

This is fine for me on a Saturday (no church next morning \:D ), but I'm wondering if other UK members will be fine with this?

Australia and New Zealand ideally need their own time slots, perhaps on a Saturday also. This could of course also be worked out in GMT.

Maybe next year, daylight saving time could be implemented, so that the official chat time in GMT could be moved back by one hour to compensate?
So it is still 8pm Eastern time, for example, but would now be 12 Midnight (0000) GMT instead of 1am (0100) GMT.

(Of course, Brits would still chat at 1am due to British Summer Time, then being on GMT+1 time...)

#2350 - 11/28/07 01:15 AM Re: Chat Dates [Re: Meq]
Dragan Kasimir Offline
stranger

Loc: Denver, CO
Well, time zones are very confusing and unfortunately, not accommodating to everyone. Therefore, we can simply host two chat nights, one to accommodate American time zones, and International Guests that can attend, and then one International night, and American guests can attend?

In America, the average person works 9-5 and those that don't, are usually finished by 9pm-10pm… counting for time to get home, cook, and settle in etc. We would start from the shortest and work up.

Example:
8pm Western
9pm Mountain
10pm central
11pm Eastern

Assuming the chat would really only be stimulating an hour or so before turning into simple banter and “bar-like” atmosphere, the later time individuals (easterners) would be in bed by Midnight or 1am, which for a lot of people is usually around the time they crash anyways. Sadly, this puts UK visitors at a 4am chat. But if we broke down to accommodate Europeans the time would be at

Example:
5pm Western
6pm Mountain
7pm central
8pm Eastern

Which for many people does not work due to kids, work, cooking, and other chores and errands that tend to take over the afternoon. So if we set up two chats, this problem would most likely be solved. I won’t go into time zones for the whole world, but setting a chat for 8pm in the UK will put Americans at:

Example:
12pm Western
1pm Mountain
2pm central
3pm Eastern

So those whom work from home or have internet access at work, can occasionally pop in and say hello.

It is simply a situation where not everyone wins and majority rules. This is simply an example, times will obviously be decided by majority rules.

#2367 - 11/28/07 12:26 PM Re: Chat Dates [Re: Dragan Kasimir]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Hi,

In the past, the best conversations IMO took place usually after 10 pm on a week night eastern standard time.
On the weekends usually late friday or sat night after 2 or 3am eastern standard time.

Most of the chat idiots/unregistered users were not around, and regular members could have various indepth conversations on various matters.

I kinda miss those talks,

Morg

#2390 - 11/28/07 08:03 PM Re: Chat Dates [Re: Morgan]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I work nights which means any times Monday-Saturday 5pm-3.30am GMT is likely out for me. I'm also a member of a large society that means on Sundays at Noon and I don't get in until late.

I'd love to take part but I rarely have free time now so I'll have to say it's unlikely on my part.

#2400 - 11/29/07 02:39 AM Re: Chat Dates [Re: TornadoCreator]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Well, you heard Morgan,

Quote:
Most of the chat idiots/unregistered users were not around, and regular members could have various indepth conversations on various matters

That's just a playful joke... TornadoCreator...

Ha, ha, ha.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.