Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#21863 - 03/11/09 08:31 AM "Dogs of War" (1980)
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I saw this film for the first time, (as a mere cub back in 1980), and had the pleasure of a re-encounter last night.

Wow; it is nicely put together...
One of Christopher Walken's best for sure, and safely positioned amongst the top 10 in war-movies.

Bits:

A little black street-kid asks Jamie Shannon (Christopher Walken) for some money. Jamie stops, looks at him, and hires the kid to carry his bag.

Quote:

You can always be a beggar when you grow up...

I will not spoil the story by spilling everything.
Only say; highly recommended (although a tiny bit dated).

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#21868 - 03/11/09 11:21 AM Re: "Dogs of War" (1980) [Re: Woland]
Jake999 Offline

Woland:

I saw the film many, many moons ago, and while it did have some "moments," I had the misfortune of seeing it after I have read the book, so it some ways it seemed more like a parody than anything else.

I can definitely recommend THE DOGS OF WAR by Frederick Forsythe... but AFTER one sees the movie.

#21878 - 03/11/09 01:55 PM Re: "Dogs of War" (1980) [Re: Jake999]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Well; books and films are different media, and never the twain shall meet.

I also enjoy the writings of Mr. Forsythe, but am afraid that I do not agree on seeing the movie before you read the book!

IMO one should read the book, and then do a brief pause (20-30 years), before one sees the film!

On the note of Mr. Forsythe; I saw "Odessa" from -74 on the telly the other day.
I really loved the book when I read it, and really hated the film when I saw it.
Was happy to conclude that it was still a piece of shit!

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#21883 - 03/11/09 03:20 PM Re: "Dogs of War" (1980) [Re: Woland]
Jake999 Offline

LOL! Yep. 20-30 years oughta do it. My thought on it was that the movie is such a watered down version of the book that if one saw the movie first, the book would be a totally new story with the same basic characters. Seeing the movie after reading the book made me want more of the kind of detail and action that was in the book.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.