Page 2 of 14 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#24419 - 05/10/09 10:16 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Jake999]
Xaero Offline
stranger

Loc: sweden
To me it would be to go little against the groundidea of Satanism to be a member in a church. Im my own god so i have no need to belong to a church. If i was interested so do i doubt CoS would be of any interest for me anyway. 200dollar for a red card hmmm dont sound as a good deal for me.
#24508 - 05/12/09 10:04 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Xaero]
imagodhater Offline
stranger

Loc: Now:Ft Bragg, NC-Soon Germany
I too once considered becoming a member of the CoS at one point, this was back several years ago when I began to get serious about what I truly believed, that there is nothing out there that's going to accept me when I die. To be frank, 200 bucks would be enough to buy an HTML website creator program and you can design a website starting your own church/occult/hang out or whatever and you could then get a domain for as little as $5 a month and you can host it yourself until it grew to a point and you could make money off your own membership and upgrade hosting when you had the funds. This would be the best way to get a group together for yourself and you didn't have to lick a single ass to do it! I too would love to find three or four people out there who would love getting together and performing destruction rituals and the like. The idea of a cellar lit by candles with the correct medallions hung on the wall at their correct cardinal position with a gorgeous naked lady for an altar sounds awesome! I feel though it will take a while of searching before that becomes a reality, and my wife being in the military makes it harder for by the time I establish myself somewhere we are off to another location. So no, it's not worth it becomeing a CoS member, you get more from the 600 club for you to enjoy then you will from the CoS and this is free!!! Enjoy what you have available and make whatever you wish for yourself happen. As Dr. Lavey said, unless you get up off your ass and make it happen then it won't happen! There is no higher power who will grant a wish, so get up and get it done!

#24881 - 05/21/09 11:37 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Jake999]
ELTOURER Offline
stranger

Loc: California
From when I first read through the Satanic Bible and considered joining the CoS (it was merely a hundred bucks back then) I immediately reconsidered and decided against joining. My logic? Well, I always thought that LaVey would truly think I was a sucker.

I mean the Satanic Bible, LaVeyís own dictate, clearly warns us to be weary of such scams. The olí something for nothing, so to speak. So I figured that though he may love cashing that $100.00 check or money order he would still consider me, as a person, an easy mark. Know what I mean?

Anyhow, he still got my $6.99 for the Satanic Bible, but thatís a lot easier on the wallet than $100.00. And I actually got something for my money, so I can live with that.

#24882 - 05/21/09 11:48 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: ELTOURER]
Jake999 Offline

Well... you thought wrong, but at least you THOUGHT.

There were (and are) a hell of a lot of people who read The Satanic Bible and never joined the Church of Satan. It wasn't required, and for the most part, it wasn't expected. LaVey was happy when each person who felt moved to do so sent in an application, but no... he wasn't wringing his hands and chortling with glee over the money. He much more appreciated some of the little gifts and mementos (and some not so little) that people would send in with a note of appreciation.

I remember when a woman sent him a tape of herself singing song she had created about a female goddess... "She alone has got the POW-AH, to guide us through our tragic OW-AH!!!" Musically, it was bad. But the idea that she thought he might appreciate it and asked his opinion, good or bad, spoke volumes to him.

And VOLUMES is what he played it at over and over that night. He appreciated it. Me, not so much.

#25586 - 06/11/09 06:12 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Jake999]
Third-Side Offline
stranger

Loc: Maine
I am a member of the CoS, I have been for a while now. I would say that everyone has their own reasons for becoming/not becoming a member, none better or worse than anyone else's, as we are all individuals anyway. Being a member of the CoS has benefited me in many ways, I have networked and collaborated with a few people over the years who have helped me on personal projects in addition to meeting some life-long friends who share the same ideologies. It's just a personal thing that I feel I support, an indulgence if you will. Let me also say that although I don't post here much I do see and feel a strong sense of community as I do on another board in which I am a member. Tides are turning within the CoS as there is an internal struggle between those that are for the ToV and those that are against it. The problem is that there really is no CoS anymore, as it is merely a puppet to the ToV heirarchy, a recruiting tool if you will. There are a few though that will never seek out the "Vampire Cult" as we believe it is not compatible with Satanism as written in TSB. I do appreciate this community and feel that it is a true representation of Satanism.

#25589 - 06/12/09 01:07 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Third-Side]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Bear in mind that you might be relieved of your membership status just by being a member here. You may have to return your card. I have not interacted with them in years, even though I know several members, but in the past, just being a member here meant you got blacklisted. Maybe times have changed. Roll the dice and bet on 7.

#25590 - 06/12/09 04:30 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: fakepropht]
Third-Side Offline
stranger

Loc: Maine
 Originally Posted By: fakepropht
Bear in mind that you might be relieved of your membership status just by being a member here. You may have to return your card. I have not interacted with them in years, even though I know several members, but in the past, just being a member here meant you got blacklisted. Maybe times have changed. Roll the dice and bet on 7.

I'm not too worried about it at this point, I'm still fairly anonymous. There is nothing that I could get blacklisted from that I couldn't walk away from with two-shakes of a stick anyway. There are a few other CoS members on this forum , maybe they will "out" all of us, it will be a big party.

#25591 - 06/12/09 05:38 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Third-Side]
Jake999 Offline

Originally Posted By: Third-Side

I'm not too worried about it at this point, I'm still fairly anonymous. There is nothing that I could get blacklisted from that I couldn't walk away from with two-shakes of a stick anyway. There are a few other CoS members on this forum , maybe they will "out" all of us, it will be a big party.

And that in and of itself is a sad commentary on where The Church of Satan, once preeminent and inviolate, has come to. Vampire wannabes, pretenders to the throne, posturing, entitlement minded... Dr. LaVey must be churning in his urn. It also shows the damage that can be done to any organization when it becomes a free-for-all in which any deviation of core ideals is allowed for personal aggrandizement... egalitarianism by those who claim sovereignty and mastery is still egalitarianism.

The question was often asked, "Why not just let ANYBODY join?" The answer is obvious, at least to me.

It ain't your father's Oldsmobile, for sure. By the standards of LaVey's regime, it's a Yugo.

#25599 - 06/13/09 03:40 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Jake999]
Atralux Lucis Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
I personally have lost all faith in the CoS. I went on their forums and got nothing but close minded, arrogant, and unintelligent shit from all of their priesthood. Gilmore I think would probably be pretty good, the priesthood, No.
members of the CoS are a good bunch and they were no problem.
LaVey's CoS is dead along with him and thats the one I wouldve joined.

Asides I would still join the CoS. Firstly the little red card which is a nice little momento but more importantly: there are certain (i dont know if this applies to others) discounts and offers for books and other items by both the CoS and other stores and such for card-holders.
The only occult bookshop near me is run by a former grotto master and he has books such as the Compleat Witch but only for card-holders. Also any Satanic literature has a nice discount on it. He always says its the benefit of being a member of the organization whose literature is in question.
I dont know whether this applies to others but the sentimentality of being a member, and having the little red card, and the more materialistic benefits. If you plan on buying satanic material than the 200 dollars would be the same as the money youd save from the discounts

#25627 - 06/14/09 02:54 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
You can buy books at boarders, barnes and nobles. If you ask, they will order books for you. If you sign up for a free boarder rewards card, you get coupons 20-40% off books. Then there is also amazon.com. Hell, all you have to do is puch in occult books and a ton pop up. It is no longer the point in time where you can only find books through 1 store. You can find find stuff anywhere, hell even ebay selld discount books.

In this ecomony, money talks. I am sure if you put cash money on a counter, he will sell it to you.

As for the CoS, some of the members are good people, but with any organzation when you are told to not question there is a problem. Its not the little people in the group, its the leaders who dont know how to lead.

Oh, welcome to the club here, enjoy your time

Morgan

#25629 - 06/14/09 10:47 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Third-Side]
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Third-Side
...Tides are turning within the CoS as there is an internal struggle between those that are for the ToV and those that are against it. The problem is that there really is no CoS anymore, as it is merely a puppet to the ToV heirarchy, a recruiting tool if you will. There are a few though that will never seek out the "Vampire Cult" as we believe it is not compatible with Satanism as written in TSB. I do appreciate this community and feel that it is a true representation of Satanism.

Third-Side, i actually got turfed off Letters To The Devil for directly enquiring to 'Magister Nemo' why it was that the ToV religious beliefs were so contradictory to Satanism. Satanism begins with Atheism, yet the ToV members Commune with Dark Gods and await the time known as the Harvest, which sounds like the Vampire/roleplaying game/Anne Rice bullshit it probably is!

You have said that the CoS as it stands is being used as a recruiting tool for the Vampire Temple. Who is it that is doing this, and why isn't Magus Gilmore bothered that it is happening, unless he is directly involved?

You have raised some interesting points in your post. Thank you.

#25630 - 06/14/09 10:52 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Atralux Lucis]
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Atralux Lucis
I personally have lost all faith in the CoS. I went on their forums and got nothing but close minded, arrogant, and unintelligent shit from all of their priesthood. Gilmore I think would probably be pretty good, the priesthood, No.

Atralux, i drop in to LttD occasionally (not signed up or registered or anything, just the pages available and open to the public) and i did see the shit that you took. As mentioned elsewhere, i was unwilling to bow and scrape and 'do as i was told' and not ask questions. I said No as was turfed out. the majority of long-time LttD users are sycophants in the extreme, with the CoS Clergy (Peggy Nadramia and Magus Gilmore exempt) acting like grade C celebrities and lapping up every moment of it. Welcome to the 600 Club, my friend.

#25640 - 06/14/09 12:40 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I think people should not expect to be embraced when joining the LttD. It is their forum and things are run as they prefer it to be. It is a common misconception that being a satanist, or a Laveyan in their case, directly should create goodwill and allow people to join their happy yet satanic family. As if claiming to be a satanist directly and unconditionally obliges all others to serve the needs of a new member. Contrary to what people think, the LttD might not have been created just for them to join. Whether their approach and attitude is rewarding in the end can be debated but even so, it seems to work for them.

We are accused of the same by people not making it into our ranks; close-minded, arrogant, yada yada yada and all too often these accusations actually state 'they did not embrace too easily what I wrote'. So, amazingly, people expect all to conform to their ideas, and all criticism is regarded as close-minded. That is so egalitarian it has no room in Satanism. It is not because someone has an opinion it, by definition, is a valid one and even if, if that opinion is in its place in that forum. You don't play soccer when the rest plays baseball. So expect the LttD to play their game and if you prefer another, look for another.

This however is not me agreeing with the LttD. I am of the opinion that incestuous thinking only delivers ugly babies and that to improve, a certain degree of tolerance and pluralism of ideas should be allowed. I don't see that too much on LttD but that is their decision. If I can't handle that, I don't go there. Satanic rule no 3: When in anotherís lair, show him respect or else do not go there. Forums or websites are also lairs, which seems to be so easily forgotten. I personally think the CoS (and LttD) is living in the past, holding on to historical straws and will slide more and more into a cult.

Satanism on the other hand is a living philosophy and keeps moving on.

D.

#25643 - 06/14/09 02:58 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

3. When in anotherís lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
- Eleven rules of the earth nr 3.

You do not need to join an organisation to become or be labeled as a Satanist (if you want to be regarded as such).

Joining the church gives you certain discounts on"their" material?
So what, as far as I know is Satanism to be lived, the books are just a dead give away (so to speak). Besides, all fundamental aspects are almost free to read at the internet if you surf around a bit. However, the Satanic Bible and other books are best to be bought just to have a work you can relate to immediatly..
Also if you join them just because you think Gilmore is nice, you'd still have to kiss ass of the priesthood. They are a part of it and higher in rank.. And the cards are easily withdrawn also.

Edited by Dimitri (06/14/09 03:00 PM)

#25644 - 06/14/09 03:32 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Dimitri]
Jake999 Offline

If you join The Church of Satan to get a sense of brotherhood and "warm fuzzies" from your fellow Satanists, you might also enjoy masturbation with a glove studded with cactus spines. That's NOT its purpose. Never was. Never purported itself to be.

The current crowd seems to be a bit immature, as far as leadership skills go. Anyone who's ever been in a leadership position can tell you that having the office and the title doesn't mean you automatically know how to lead. That's why the good officers in the military learned early to listen to their NCOs and their subordinate officers in the field to get an idea of what the state of their command actually is. Just deciding one is in command and is automatically endowed with infallibility is a path of fools.

And that path has been well-worn by many who have gone before.

Page 2 of 14 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.