Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#22031 - 03/15/09 10:40 AM Are you a Church Of Satan member?
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

Hi all, i'm just curious as to whether there are any registered (or perhaps Active Members) of the Church of Satan here at the 600 Club, and if so, what, if anything do you get satisfaction-wise by being a card-carrying member of the CoS?

I did consider joining a number of years ago when it had it's special $100 membership fee offer, but was going through a final year at University and decided at that specific time that £75 was more important to my academic needs than the old red card. \:\)

Thanks for your time.

#22035 - 03/15/09 11:37 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: FromGehenna]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
A bit of research would answer most of your questions.

However, this is a good Satanism 101 question.

You question, begs a question. What would you hope to gain by being a CoS member? What would your $200 buy in get you?

The 600 Club was (and most likely still is) on the CoS Satanic Bunko Sheet. The CoS (in it's current state) would like to think they own LHP ideology. Several members here have been dues paying members of the CoS. After LaVey's death, I believe most saw the CoS degrade into a sad shell of it's former self and they simply lost interest.

Personally, I cannot buy into the CoS politics and it's hierarchical structure. Peter Gilmore is simply a sorry excuse for a man. I cannot imagine subordinating myself to him in any form or fashion. You will find many here who feel the same way.

And here again we find another question, are you prepared to kiss the ring (among other things) of the High Priests of the CoS?

#22037 - 03/15/09 11:57 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Fist]
Grandpabeast Offline

Loc: No. Utah. USA
I do not need a piece of paper or a card to be a Satanist. And like Fist said, I am not one who is much for heirarchial system. I am already a member of a "secret society" that has a hierchial system, but the positions are changed on an annual basis or as needed to fill offices. You do not become as Satanist, either you are or you aren't. You may not realize it until later in life like me, I ran the gammet of exploring spirituality and religion, New Age, Buddhist, Metaphysics and even being an Ordained Evangelical Christian Pastor but it just never felt right. I did well as a Pastor because it was all and act, I am an actor deep down and have pllayed many roles and identities in my lifetime. Then I read the Satanic Bible and it just clicked... I felt this is me! I just wish I had realized it much earlier in my life...

Roger.

#22043 - 03/15/09 01:01 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Fist]
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

To answer a number of your points, at this point in time i have no wish to become a Church of Satan member, for a variety of reasons that i shall detail. The first is the 'Give And Take' relationship that the CoS has with it's members, being that You Give and They Take. A prime example of this is the absurdly contradictory article 'The Myth of the Satanic Community' that states that there is NO Satanic community, yet a large majority of the CoS 'action' is entirely dependent on it's Letters To The Devil forum, where ex-fundamentalist goth kids get to kiss CoS clergy ass and buy trinkets from the Emporium.

The second is the 'Anyone can join' non-arbitrary dishing out of the 'ol red card to any schmuck that doles out the $200 fee. Doesn't matter if they are a pleb or professor, anyone can be a member.

The third is something that has recently concerned me, and that is the mass-affiliation that CoS Clergy have with The Vampire Temple. The ToV believes in classical 'pyramid scheme, monthly payment, exclusive information to a select few' religious cult style practices. It also has a system of belief that is completely contradictory to LaVey's writings, namely belief in 'Dark gods' that selected members can 'Commune' with, and teachings of 'The Great Harvest' that is to come for Vampire Temple non-members. Why does Gilmore put up with this leech in his midst?

So to answer your question, no, i am not willing to 'kiss the ring' of the CoS clergy. Being a CoS member no more makes one a Satanist than proudly sporting a Baphomet medallion over your Deicide t shirt. \:\)

#22054 - 03/15/09 07:00 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: FromGehenna]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Not a member. The CoS just doesn't seem to be doing anything important nowadays, aside from arguing over who has the rights to the word "Satanism". I know a few cool people in the CoS, but for 200 dollars I'd want a hell of a lot more than just a red card and a pat on the head.

And as FromGhenna reminded me, The Temple of the Vampire thing is also a load of bullshit; affiliating with the Church of Satan doesn't exactly help their cause either. I personally think it's all because the CoS is too lazy to admit how ridiculous the ToV really is for fear of alienating its own members.

Edited by The Zebu (03/15/09 07:00 PM)

#22098 - 03/16/09 09:39 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: The Zebu]
Morbid Rex Offline

At this time I really see no point in affiliating myself with TCOS. As previously posted it seems like a shell of its former self. A lot of the members also seem rather pretentious and hypocritical and strut around as if they are the be all and end all of Satanism simply because they forked up the cash for a nice little card. Perhaps in the future my perspective will change and I'd join if it suits me, but as of now I don't see the point.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#22805 - 04/02/09 05:20 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Morbid Rex]
cheryablinsk70 Offline
stranger

I'm not a member as of right now, but I'm considering it. I respectfully disagree that Gilmore is a sorry excuse for a man; I've read a few of his essays and seen a few interviews with him, and I consider him to be a reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable gentleman that has contributed to Satanism as a whole.

I don't want to join TCOS just for a sense of cameraderie or because I want to be "part of something". I just would like to be able to talk to and potentially perform rituals with other members of TCOS, among other things.

I'm still not sure if it would serve my interests enough to warrant the $200 membership fee, however, so I'm still deliberating on that point.

#22828 - 04/02/09 09:22 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: cheryablinsk70]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
I will admit that at one time, I was tempted to pay $200 to become a member. However, after reading people's views on how it is and the facts about it's memberships makes me think again. If anything, the ONLY bit of money that CoS has gotten from me is for the Baphomet patch, medallion and pendant that I bought off of the Emporium (Let's put it this way, I don't want cheap tat, nor do I want to be ripped off or have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a Baphomet medallion...).

Sadly though, I know someone who still wants to become a CoS member. From what I've interpreted, it seems like a status thing. Besides, she seems less of a Satanist to me, seeing as all she does is smoke pot and get benefits for her "disability".

#22834 - 04/02/09 10:09 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: cheryablinsk70]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: cheryablinsk70
I don't want to join TCOS just for a sense of cameraderie or because I want to be "part of something". I just would like to be able to talk to and potentially perform rituals with other members of TCOS, among other things.

Your $200 will get you a little generic red card nothing more… It will not get you anything else… Facts that can mostly be learned from their website…

Of course if you would like a customized one off Satan Club card I can get you one for a little over $50… But there is a catch I only sell them in pairs… ;\)

~T~

#22884 - 04/04/09 02:06 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: ta2zz]
satansydney Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
im not a member, i dont want to be either
#23094 - 04/08/09 05:43 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: FromGehenna]
XiM Offline
lurker

I personally was at one time extremely tempted to pay the 200 bucks to become a card carrying member, not because I wanted to be a part of something per say, but because I was hoping that being an official member might make it easier to find fellow satanists to converse with, perform rituals, etc. But alas, after enough study and research, I realized that its not worth the 200 bucks, if I want to find fellow satanists to talk with, I can hit message boards like this one :-P

#23097 - 04/08/09 06:08 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: XiM]
Jake999 Offline

Sadly, XiM, it's not very likely that you'll find that many REAL Satanists on any board on the Internet either. We're there, but the same problems you would have in real life meeting other Satanists are the same problems you'll have here or elsewhere on the web.

You will find geographic separations that are unworkable, the willingness of other Satanists to take you at face value, the need of other Satanists to include you in their company, etc. Further complicating you search are those who talk the talk, but find walking a bit difficult even while chewing gum, much less sticking to a philosophy that actually requires them to think for themselves.

But good luck in your search. What you seek is out there. Just remember, caveat emptor, and keep your bullshit filters on and in good working order!

#23108 - 04/09/09 01:49 AM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Jake999]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Jake hit the nail on the head. The wannabes, pretenders and cosmetic-satanists outnumber us by legions. There is nowhere to go to be free of them.

However, also here are some brilliant Satanic minds.

On the matter of converging with other Satanists, the problem authenticity is compounded by the often overlooked fact that even if two people ARE Satanists, that doesn't mean they will like each other. The fact is, most Satanists I have met are egocentric pricks. (Myself included)

#24038 - 05/02/09 07:11 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Andrew Malchus Offline
Banned
stranger

Over the past couple of months I've thought about joining the CoS. I read Peter Gilmore's bood "The Satanic Scriptures" and found I agreed with about maybe 60% of it, if that. However, I simply don't trust them, I have a strong feeling they are filled with a number of dubious characters of which I have no use for.

Right now as I see it, I am within myself my own Temple of Darkness.

/Andrew Malchus\
Sanctus Infernus!

#24040 - 05/02/09 07:35 PM Re: Are you a Church Of Satan member? [Re: Andrew Malchus]
Jake999 Offline

Well... the world is full of dubious characters. But you're right to keep things suspect until you know who and what you're dealing with and are sure that what you've found is right for you. Keep your bullshit filters engaged and trust your instincts. You have them for a reason. And ALWAYS "caveat emptor."

Page 1 of 14 12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.