Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#22079 - 03/16/09 05:53 AM "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict.
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
As some of the more Black Metal-orientated members here might be aware of; there has been some heated argument around who owns the rights to the band name "Gorgoroth".

I personally could not care less, (as I find 95% of Black Metal bands utterly boring), but there is the quite interesting fact that the case is about MONEY!!!

Black Metal is bizniz...
There is a shitload of money to be harvested if you push the right buttons.
The main cultural export-article of Norway is "Norwegian Black Metal".
Bands like "Dimmu Borgir" and "Satyricon" is really earning, and some of my more puritan friends are quick to label them boy-bands (amusing).

Well, I have nothing against musicians making a buck, and will move over to the verdict given by Oslo Tingrett, (the largest first-level court in Norway):

"Gorgoroth" is a Norwegian Black Metal band which defines itself as a unity built on Satanic values.
Created in 1992, by Infernus (Roger Tiegs), the band has since then had around 30 different members. Infernus is the only remaining original member.

In the fall of 2007, two of the bands existing three members; Mr. Tom Cato Visnes and Mr. Kristian Espedal, attempted to register the band name "Gorgoroth" as their property, and followed up by excluding Mr. Tiegs (Infernus) from the band.
They went on a tour under the banner of "Gorgoroth" and did 60+ gigs without Mr. Tiegs, who answered with a lawsuit.

Mr. Visnes and Mr. Espedal accused Mr. Tiegs of advocating drug abuse and deviant sexual activities through the bands website, canceling shows without reason and due notice, as well as for lack of artistic and administrative participation within the unit.

Now; finally; the juicy bit...

Oslo District Court rules:

The actions of Mr. Tiegs can be seen as an offense towards common decency, but is judged as in complete agreement with the Satanic core values of the band "Gorgoroth".
The court finds the ideology of "Gorgoroth" to be a mixture; where values as "advocating of self without compromise", "will to power", individualism, egocentricity and hard-core negotiation strategies are held in high esteem and seen as a positive factor. It also appears that the act of challenging traditional values and practices, is a key factor in the self-interest of Satanism.
Mr: Tiegs is judged to have acted in accordance with these values, and is awarded ownership of the brand-name "Gorgoroth".

Seems like the Judge had done his homework...

Btw; "Gorgoroth" ha a brand new line-up, lead by the smothering & fondling hands of Mr. Tiegs, and is expected to deliver their 8th album after the summer has come and gone.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#22115 - 03/16/09 04:19 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict. [Re: Woland]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
thanks for the update Woland.
gaahl (espedal)is a creepy weirdo, and therefore I have always liked him. he is, however, queer as a 3 dollar bill, and his mostly angry young man fanbase has expressed much concern and condemnation for this.
gorgoroths live in warsaw dvd is a brilliant example of sinister satanic sensationalism. animal guts, naked models on crosses, and lots of bombs and smoke. fucking awesome.
I hope gaahl and company continue in this fashion. I hope the official gorgoroth does too for that matter, because every blood dripping naked person on a cross and song about SATAN is slap in the face to bullshit cradle of filth fake goth metal. and fuck dimmu borgir too!

#22128 - 03/16/09 11:54 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict. [Re: Woland]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
I had a feeling that was how it was going to turn out. I'm actually glad that it was awarded to Tiegs. I don't have anything personal against Gaahl, I think he's a pretty great black metal vocalist (not as good as Pest, though, who I believe is returning to the fold for the next album), but the other guys trying to usurp Tiegs' position weren't even original members of the band.

Quote:
...as well as for lack of artistic and administrative participation within the unit.

This part does seem somewhat true. On the last two albums, most of the songwriting has been done by other members, mostly King Ov Hell (Visnes). Tiegs had almost no songwriting credits. Perhaps that since the other members obviously thought they were doing all of the work in the band, they might as well have something to show for it, i.e. control of the band name.

Quote:
Mr: Tiegs is judged to have acted in accordance with these values, and is awarded ownership of the brand-name "Gorgoroth".

I love that this is why he was awarded the rights to the name, rather than some legal reason. Gorgoroth is one of my favorite bands, so I can't wait to hear what's in store from both camps.

Homo Homini Lupus

#22329 - 03/21/09 04:49 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict. [Re: Bacchae]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I'm not a big fan of black metal, as some know, and I seldom pass upon an opportunity to make a goofy remark about it but "Black Mass Warsaw" is one of the most aesthetically pleasing live concerts I saw, on DVD that is. It is indeed brilliant; the goddamn impaled sheepheads are such a strong visual prop, almost a propagandistic symbol. They make many other black metal wannabees look like err... wannabees.

Give me more of that and I might actually start to like the genre as a whole.

D.

#22474 - 03/24/09 01:53 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verd [Re: Draculesti]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Paraphrase: The Norwegian Legal System has officially declared that Gorgoroth is "fvcking krieg". (Direct quote)

I saw the Black Mass DVD, it's pretty frickin' awesome.

#22487 - 03/24/09 08:30 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict. [Re: Woland]
NaebNaes Offline
stranger

I heard King and Gaahl changed their band name to "God Seed"
I don't like the name that much but at least they are still making music.

#24980 - 05/25/09 05:04 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict. [Re: NaebNaes]
lefthanded Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia,Us
gorgoroth is one of the best black metal bands ever and at a satanic mass at the nternational church of theistic satanists (not official yet but anyone who wants to join pm me)we played gorgoroths at the left hand ov god during our first meeting great band and im very happy they got it trademarked

#24982 - 05/25/09 05:25 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict. [Re: lefthanded]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
If you can not use punctuation then you may not post here.
It can not be any simpler.

#24991 - 05/25/09 11:14 PM Re: "Gorgoroth", Norwegian court of law gives verdict. [Re: Bacchae]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

This may be out of line, but perhaps this person has recieved enough warnings. I highly doubt they can clean up their act, and the Hall of Shame is feeling a little neglected as of late, it told me so.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.