Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#23785 - 04/25/09 01:00 PM Re: Graduate recital announcement [Re: blsk]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Thanks to everybody! It went well, and I am glad to say that I got it on film (of course, my head is a little cut off, but I got the most important stuff anyway ;\) ) I hope to have video posted within the next week or so.

P.S. A note about "Smoke on the Water": "improvisations" such as that in a degree recital probably wouldn't go over well with my teacher ;\) My grade is dependent on the recital, after all. It would have been funny as hell, though ;\)

Edited by Draculesti (04/25/09 01:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Post Script

Homo Homini Lupus

#23924 - 04/30/09 06:34 PM Re: Graduate recital announcement [Re: Draculesti]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
you went to peabody? leon fleischer is a personal hero of mine.
congrats on your graduation! do you play lute and guitar?

this sounds like a really interesting program. i would have liked to hear you play. sor wrote some good music for soprano and guitar.

#23976 - 05/01/09 09:36 PM Re: Graduate recital announcement [Re: miriam]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Correction: I still go to Peabody. I am finishing up my Master's this year.

I have met Mr. Fleischer once in passing. He is a bit of a recluse, rarely leaving his studio, except to come downstairs to eat lunch in the cafeteria. I attribute this to several factors: 1) His advancing years; it seems hard for him to get around, so staying in one place is probably easier; 2) The piano program at Peabody is HUGE; there are probably more pianists than any other instrumentalists. Mr. Fleischer, without doubt, probably gets only the best students (which means probably the fewest, but even so, it is still quite a large number), and so he is probably far too busy to leave his studio.

It is a shame, but in all the time I have been there, I have not checked out any of his recordings. I am going to rectify that as soon as possible, because I know he was a brilliant pianist, before he injured himself.

I wish I was playing lute. I would rather play Baroque lute, but I would be required to lose the nails of my right hand (they do not really sound good on the Baroque lute) which would mean giving up guitar, and I am not quite ready to do that. Hell, I can transcribe most of the Baroque lute rep for guitar anyway; it will be hard to play, but it is not necessarily any easier on the lute. I could have had the option of playing Renaissance lute; the repertoire is interesting (though I find Baroque rep far more interesting), but I was also afraid that I would not have the extra time. I am spread pretty thin as it is.

In the very near future, I am going to buy a Baroque 13-course lute anyway, and I will start trying to play it. With my nails, I might add.

Quote:
this sounds like a really interesting program. i would have liked to hear you play.

You may yet get your chance. Not only will I be uploading the video to the site once I get it edited, but with due diligence and hard work, you may find me on the concert stages of the world someday. Keep a lookout!

Quote:
sor wrote some good music for soprano and guitar.

Sor, like many composers, wrote some great music (period) and some not-so-great. The piece I played is probably one of my favorites of his. Many of the Classical-era guitarist/composers like Sor and Giuliani composed not only for guitar, but for many other instruments and ensembles. Sor even composed a ballet. Who would have thought, huh?

Homo Homini Lupus

#24008 - 05/02/09 05:13 AM Re: Graduate recital announcement [Re: Draculesti]
miriam Offline
pledge

what is a 13-course lute? if it's anything like a 13-course supper, count me in!
just kidding.

my father played a little classical guitar before he lost one of his fingers, and i know nails were always really important to him.

my all time favorite recording of fleischer is the brahms piano concerto no. 2. he's really young on the record, 19 or 20 maybe.
i heard him play a left-handed concert when i was a teenager. ravel, bach. of all the great pianists i've seen- nakamatsu, van cliburn, argerich, and ashkenazy- fleischer's playing touched me more than any other.

i can't wait to see your video!

#24091 - 05/03/09 07:50 PM Re: Graduate recital announcement [Re: blsk]
Andrew Malchus Offline
Banned
stranger

Good luck with your recital. I remember doing solo piano recitals a while back, there so much fun and they offer great opportunities for the use of some Lesser Magic. Don't worry about performance anxiety, if you know your instrument and have mastered the pieces you will be playing, you should have no problems.

Best witches!

/Andrew Malchus\

#24106 - 05/04/09 02:07 AM Re: Graduate recital announcement [Re: Andrew Malchus]
miriam Offline
pledge

i don't think he has a lot of problems. he goes to peabody!!!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.