Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#22216 - 03/18/09 11:57 AM Family: Too fat to work
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Family who are 'too fat to work' say £22,000 worth of benefits is not enough

A family of four with a combined weight of 83 stone say they are "too fat to work" and need more than the £22,000 they currently receive in benefits.

By Urmee Khan
Last Updated: 4:12PM GMT 17 Mar 2009

Philip Chawner, 53, and his 57-year-old wife Audrey weigh 24st. Their daughter Emma, 19, weighs 17st, while her older sister Samantha, 21, weighs 18st.

The family from Blackburn claim £22,508 a year in benefits, equivalent to the take-home pay from a £30,000 salary.

The Chawners, haven't worked in 11 years, claim their weight is a hereditary condition and the money they receive is insufficient to live on.

Mr Chawner said: "What we get barely covers the bills and puts food on the table. It's not our fault we can't work. We deserve more."

The family claim to spend £50 a week on food and consume 3,000 calories each a day. The recommended maximum intake is 2,000 for women and 2,500 for men.

"We have cereal for breakfast, bacon butties for lunch and microwave pies with mashed potato or chips for dinner," Mrs Chawner told Closer magazine.

"All that healthy food, like fruit and veg, is too expensive. We're fat because it's in our genes. Our whole family is overweight," she added.

Each week, Mr and Mrs Chawner, who have been married for 23 years, receive £177 in income support and incapacity benefit. Mrs Chawner is paid an extra £330-a-month disability allowance for epilepsy and asthma, both a result of being overweight.

Mr Chawner gets £71 a month after developing Type 2 diabetes because of his size. He was on a waiting list for a gastric band last year, but a heart condition made the operation unsuitable. Their daughter Samantha receives £84 in Jobseekers' Allowance each fortnight while Emma, who is training to be a hairdresser, gets £58 every two weeks under a hardship fund for low-income students.

Emma, said: "I'm a student and don't have time to exercise" she said "We all want to lose weight to stop the abuse we get in the street, but we don't know how."

link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi...not-enough.html

#22221 - 03/18/09 02:00 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: Dimitri]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
If you have time for a newspaper interview, you have time to jog (or waddle) around the block once or twice.

Heredity my ass. Eating right and exercising should at least be enough to keep them down to "mobile" size.

#22222 - 03/18/09 03:09 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: The Zebu]
Morbid Rex Offline

Exactly what I was thinking. Instead of giving them money to horde as much food as they can stuff into their fat mouths why not send them to a rehab center where they can trim down some of that weight and learn how to eat healthy. Exercise does wonders for anybody no matter how hereditary their fat is.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#22224 - 03/18/09 03:35 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: Morbid Rex]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Jeah it made me wonder...
I find this actually less worse then other expenses government does with "our" money. Subsidising useless wars, wasting it on projects who fail afterwards where "big economics" receive bonusses for doing "nothing"...
Altough these people are frowned upon by me for various reasons.
They might have some "diseases" or psychological problems so they have become like this.. but hell there are products available to keep such things in hand.

#22227 - 03/18/09 07:00 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: The Zebu]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland

Quote:
If you have time for a newspaper interview, you have time to jog (or waddle) around the block once or twice.

Yeah, but a newspaper interview doesn't require one to peel one's ass from the couch.

This is one instance where genetics really is used as an excuse. A congenital heart condition, that's hereditary. A fat ass, while being coded in some people's DNA, is not something that a diet and an exercise regime can't fix. Apparently Britain is catching up to America in most fast asses per capita.

Homo Homini Lupus

#22229 - 03/18/09 08:48 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: Draculesti]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I wonder..

If 'charity' such as the sort that keeps these wastrels alive were voluntary rather than enforced through the collection/distribution of taxes, would these people be able to continue on in such a fashion?

I would guess probably not.

#22237 - 03/19/09 01:12 AM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: Dan_Dread]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Interestingly I don't recall seeing too many fat people who claim to be genetically predisposed to weight gain, where a large quantity of food is not available for consumption.

#22240 - 03/19/09 02:33 AM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: Asmedious]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I'm totally with you on that one Asmedious.

There is an incredibly overweight lady where I work, who blames it all on a "gland condition" that her entire family is enslaved by.

She's also constantly eating something- chips, soft-drinks, chocolates, organic pop-corn etc, and that's not including her lunch break when she sits down to a gargantuan lunch-box banquet.

She's so bloody fat, that the rest of us have to drop what we're doing and go climb ladders for her when she needs something from the top racks, and she's snapped the staff toilet seat twice (she's only been with our company for six months)

She is always wingeing about preventable health problems too, stuff that wouldn't be an issue if she ditched abit of baggage, stopped eating shit, and walked to work instead of being driven by her equally fat boyfriend (incidently she lives about four blocks away from work)

I feel nothing but contempt for her, and all people like her.
They're using their fat as a convenient security blanket to wrap themselves in so that more able bodied people have to make allowances for them.
All they need to do is hoist themselves up off the sofa, and go for a good half hour walk each day, it wouldn't kill the buggers unless their heart was already on the verge of rupturing from being obese.

The family that this thread is about need to have their welfare cut, and their asses put to work.
Fruit and veges are a hell of a lot cheaper than loading up on Pies and bacon sandwiches and all the other shit that they are obviously inhaling, they're all just too fat and lazy to break the habit of being fat and lazy.

#22261 - 03/19/09 01:22 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: spiderbreeder]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Fat people piss me off. Especially when they blame their fatness on everything but themselves. It is a very simple concept: put down the fucking fork and exercise.

People who blame their fatness on a hereditary condition are using a cop-out, nothing more. Especially these people. No one who is fat due to genetics, whether it be a thyroid condition or something else, gets to fat too work solely from that condition. They would have to doing things to make themselves fatter, causing their "condition" to get worse. That being the case, they deserve no help.

It is their fault they are that fat, so they need to do something about it. Giving these people free money is like rewarding them for being the disgusting land-walking-sea-manatees that they are.

It is bad enough McDonalds got rid of the super size because of these fat fucks, now they are getting money too?

I have an idea: You know those pressure sensitive pads outside most supermarkets and convenience stores; the ones that when stepped on, cause the doors to open automatically? I say we have those outside all fastfood restaraunts, and if someone who steps on it is to damn fat, the doors lock automatically and a recording tells them to waddle their fat asses to a salad bar and not return until they have lost a few hundred pounds.

Also, clothes need to come with a weight limit. I am sick and tired of seeing fat people in clothes that are way too small. Spandex is a privilege not a right. You ever see some fat chick wearing a shirt that says "Cutie"? Doesn't it just make you want to walk up to them and scream "No you aren't, and that is false advertising bitch. I have the better business bureau on speed dial and am not afraid to call them."?

Well, i'm done ranting for the moment.

#22273 - 03/19/09 03:47 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
icu4whatur Offline
stranger

I'm thinking we used to have a cure for that... What was the phrase...?

Oh yeah... Natural selection.

Fat long pork feed many wolves. ;\)

#22769 - 04/01/09 09:40 PM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: icu4whatur]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
All I can say to this one is shoot the lazy arsed bastards if they can't be arsed to contribute to society and decide to sponge off of it instead.

In all fairness, I know someone who is obese due to genetics, but still works. She certainly ain't lazy, unlike those fuckers.

#23192 - 04/11/09 12:07 AM Re: Family: Too fat to work [Re: DistroyA]
EwanCS Offline
stranger

Loc: Glasgow, UK
Enforced lypo, along with enforced diets (that won't kill them, the absence of miccy D's will be torture enough, surely.) I'd rather see them being forced to rejoin the workforce on terms they'd hate than them being killed. Fuck, we could have them workin in subway.

At the end of the day, being a fat, gluttonous cunt aint an illness. Have some fuckin self respect for fuck sake!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.