Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#23873 - 04/28/09 11:32 PM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Draculesti]
Gemini Offline
pledge

Loc: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
 Quote:
I have never been interested, so I do not really know what all goes into making a rap song/record. It seems to me, however, that it is mostly a cut-and-paste kind of job. Much of what I have heard (which is, admittedly, little) seems to consist in large part of sampling, which is to say bits of music by other artists, or sound samples in a software database. You may disagree, but take P. Diddy for instance. I find the guy to be a hack, and you may agree. He made his career from raping songs by the Police and Led Zeppelin; his only contribution were new lyrics. The beat, the music, nor any of the rest of it his original music. That is like taking the Mona Lisa, painting a mustache on it, crossing out Da Vinci's signature and writing your own.

Diddy is a pretty piss-poor example of a good producer. I quote from Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: "Sean 'Puffy' Combs of Bad Boy Records seems to have hits in his sleep, most of them cynical karaoke-style remakes of tried and trusted pop hits with the latest ghetto sensation rapping over the top."

Sampling, when done properly, stops being a piece of someone else's song, and starts being a piece of one's own. It very much can be a new artistic creation. If not, then the remix isn't, the cover isn't, and the proper club DJ's job isn't.

For the record, I have assisted in the production of a couple of hip-hop tracks, so I do know what all it entails. It's not simple, or by any means "cut and paste". A lot of effort goes into an original instrumental, for any genre of music.

Quote:
The thing I dislike about rap lyrics is how they perpetuate the poor (if not incoherent) use of the English language. "Is you is, or is you ain't gon' give me a ride?" While I understand that "I faced my enemy with the courage of my convictions" does not have as much street cred as "I was all up in that nigga's face to show him I keep it real," it is far more well-spoken.

I agree. As I said, I'm generally not a hip-hop/rap fan, and the complete butchering of the English language, as often takes place, is one main reason. There is intelligent hip-hop, though. It's rare, but it does exist.

Quote:
Catchy tends to translate as "simplistic," which is not always a bad thing. However, many of the beats I have heard are simplistic to the point of being elementary. When a hip-hop guy comes back with a beat reminiscent of the shifting meter in the Rite of Spring , perhaps I will be impressed. If one already exists, please let me know. Of course, then it would be harder to dance to (but not impossible; it is a ballet, after all).

Most music has a beat (there are some composers in art music of the 20th century who created music which all but eschews meter). However, I cannot tell you how many times I have heard someone say "I like it because it has a beat and I can dance to it." That, in my opinion, is not a viable aesthetic position.

Here's the thing, because the need of the listener of music are very, very different from the needs of someone dancing to music. Liking certain forms of music over others due to their danceability, or lack thereof, is very much a valid position.

Quote:
I do not wish this to be understood as a personal attack against anyone; I wish to debate, to have my opinions challenged.

Wholly understood.

-Gemini

#23900 - 04/29/09 11:09 PM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Gemini]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
A lot of effort goes into an original instrumental, for any genre of music.

Perhaps, but the real question is, "is the effort required the same for all genres." When all is said and done, as all men are NOT created equal, neither is all music. Again, maybe that is elitist, but I do not think so.

For example, I am (trying) to write a three-voice fugue for a Baroque Counterpoint class. While there is certainly room for creative freedom, one must learn to use creative freedom within the constraints imposed upon one when composing in strict Baroque contrapuntal terms. Rules of proper voice leading must be observed, dissonances must be treated (prepared, placed, and resolved) properly, and the fugal subject(s), countersubject(s), answer(s) must all work properly. Not to mention that before all of this even, one must be knowledgeable in the area of music theory which presupposes the ability to read (and write) in standard musical notation, and the ability to play (however rudimentarily) a musical instrument (particularly a piano or some other instrument which can accompany itself, such as the guitar). It can prove to be a daunting task. Perhaps it is unfair to compare art music styles with popular ones, but I feel it applies.

Quote:
Here's the thing, because the need of the listener of music are very, very different from the needs of someone dancing to music.

True, and much (though certainly by no means all) of Baroque music is comprised, essentially, of dance suites: Allemande, Courante/Corrente, Sarabande, Minuet/Menuet, Gavotte, Loure, Double, Gigue, are all Baroque dance forms. Of course, by the late Baroque (Bach, Handel, Weiss), these dances had become stylized and were no longer danced, per se. These stylized dance suites truly became an art form, though it became more of a matter of form OVER function. Much of this music is still performed and recorded today (check out Sylvius Leopold Weiss' lute sonatas on the Naxos label, recorded by Robert Barto). However, how much of today's "dance hits" will stand such a test of time? (This, of course, we cannot know, as we will have been long dead). Much of this music of today, since it seems to fulfill a more immediate (and, therefore, ephemeral) need in the listener becomes itself quite transitory. Hence, I maintain my position that mere danceability is not a viable aesthetic position.

Homo Homini Lupus

#23906 - 04/30/09 01:06 AM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Draculesti]
Gemini Offline
pledge

Loc: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: Draculesti
 Quote:
A lot of effort goes into an original instrumental, for any genre of music.

Perhaps, but the real question is, "is the effort required the same for all genres." When all is said and done, as all men are NOT created equal, neither is all music. Again, maybe that is elitist, but I do not think so.

We're in agreement here.

Quote:
For example, I am (trying) to write a three-voice fugue for a Baroque Counterpoint class. While there is certainly room for creative freedom, one must learn to use creative freedom within the constraints imposed upon one when composing in strict Baroque contrapuntal terms. Rules of proper voice leading must be observed, dissonances must be treated (prepared, placed, and resolved) properly, and the fugal subject(s), countersubject(s), answer(s) must all work properly. Not to mention that before all of this even, one must be knowledgeable in the area of music theory which presupposes the ability to read (and write) in standard musical notation, and the ability to play (however rudimentarily) a musical instrument (particularly a piano or some other instrument which can accompany itself, such as the guitar). It can prove to be a daunting task. Perhaps it is unfair to compare art music styles with popular ones, but I feel it applies.

Perhaps it is a tad bit unfair, but that's how shit goes in life, no? You're right, it does apply.

Quote:
 Quote:
Here's the thing, because the need of the listener of music are very, very different from the needs of someone dancing to music.

True, and much (though certainly by no means all) of Baroque music is comprised, essentially, of dance suites: Allemande, Courante/Corrente, Sarabande, Minuet/Menuet, Gavotte, Loure, Double, Gigue, are all Baroque dance forms. Of course, by the late Baroque (Bach, Handel, Weiss), these dances had become stylized and were no longer danced, per se. These stylized dance suites truly became an art form, though it became more of a matter of form OVER function. Much of this music is still performed and recorded today (check out Sylvius Leopold Weiss' lute sonatas on the Naxos label, recorded by Robert Barto).

Fair enough. However, I feel there are two forms of "dance music" - that which is made specifically for the purpose of dancing, and that which is made, and may consequently have a dance form built around it, which is not true dance music.

Most modern forms of so-called "dance music" (i.e., hip-hop/rap, pop, certain areas of rock (and its many subgenres), and so forth) fall into the latter.

Of course, this is strictly my own opinion.

Quote:
However, how much of today's "dance hits" will stand such a test of time? (This, of course, we cannot know, as we will have been long dead).

Precisely; however I must surrender to the fact that the majority of today's popular music, never mind which genres, will more likely than not be totally forgotten in ten, twenty, thirty years. Today's music is undeniably created for mass consumption, and much of it is absolute crap. I won't deny that.

Quote:
Much of this music of today, since it seems to fulfill a more immediate (and, therefore, ephemeral) need in the listener becomes itself quite transitory.

I've nothing to combat this argument; you're absolutely right.

Quote:
Hence, I maintain my position that mere danceability is not a viable aesthetic position.

And still I disagree, but only because my experience in amplifying the emotions of a roomful of people and bringing them into a completely ecstatic peak gives me cause to.

-Gemini

#26112 - 06/24/09 07:30 AM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: satansydney]
Demogorgon Offline
stranger

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt2NfiJ-iCk
#26139 - 06/24/09 05:04 PM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Demogorgon]
Morbid Rex Offline

^ Great song from Necro. I've been bumping The Prefix For Death a lot lately, it's his best album imo, the only one that's above average.

He took a step forward and two steps back on Death Rap.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#26291 - 06/26/09 06:57 AM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Morbid Rex]
Demogorgon Offline
stranger

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Suffocated to Death By Gods Shadow is a great song though, he is great live.
#26557 - 07/01/09 11:00 AM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Demogorgon]
Satans Scrotum Offline
stranger

I like necro, and most the artist on the PLR label, didn't think I'd see anyone talking about that on here.

Flatlinerz & Gravediggaz I guess could be satanic rap.

#43200 - 09/26/10 12:13 AM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Satans Scrotum]
Sinthesis Offline
stranger

Loc: various places in New Jersey
Tech N9ne has an album permeated by Satanic imagery. Go on YouTube and check out King of Darkness. Pretty nice rhyming, not just end rhyme. Decent vocabulary as well. Nice neo-classical piano.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jlrwNe4CJk

#72728 - 11/09/12 10:04 AM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: "Knife" Sotelo]
Stick Offline

Loc: Benelux
I certainly do know Satanic Rappers.
I know most of you are speaking the English languages, but listen to it anyways the vibe tells enough.

The two artists are called Spinal and Steen.
Take it a shot.
De second link is from Spinal in English unfortunately from not that great of a quality but enough to give an impression of his personal quality.

S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvb2U9uZESA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mya9nwvivCM

Spinal And Steen Englisch Subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxVNEvBiMHA

Edited by Stick (11/09/12 10:07 AM)
Edit Reason: 3rd link

#73169 - 11/24/12 08:42 AM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: Stick]
Deep Time Offline
pledge

There's a Baphomet in the CD booklet of Necro's Death Rap album, but the closest thing to LaVeyan stuff musically/lyrically is a sample from a Coven song.

His brother (from the same mother :P ) Ill Bill features LaVey in the video for his song Society Is Brainwashed.

Society Is Brainwashed- Ill Bill

I don't believe in writing any genre of music off. I've heard some fantastic Hip Hop in my life.

Edited by Deep Time (11/24/12 08:52 AM)

"All the witches had to show their respect for Satan by kissing his ass."

#105511 - 02/12/16 05:08 PM Re: Satanic Rap [Re: "Knife" Sotelo]
Enemy of Christ Offline
stranger

Loc: Virginia
Check out Bloodline and Gore Elohim aka Goretex of Non Phixion . also Lord Lhus ,and Jakprogresso aka Jak Tripper ...L. U. Cipha was some occult witchcraft shit I really like. Check some of these out its as raw as it gets.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.