Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#22447 - 03/23/09 11:58 PM Process of Thought
Rasha Offline
stranger

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread based on quotes. Here are a few that I enjoy reflecting on:

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them."

-Abigail Adams

"My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny."

- Elaine Maxwell

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

- Sir Winston Churchill

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die, but long after we are gone be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistence."

( lost my reference)

#22467 - 03/24/09 10:35 AM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Rasha]
KaosKrieg Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC, USA
"What if I told you insane was working 50 hours a week in some office for 50 years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"--Garland Greene ("Con Air")

#22468 - 03/24/09 10:42 AM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Rasha]
KaosKrieg Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC, USA
"I, and others like me, are the darkness which is necessary and without which evolution and knowledge are impossible. I am my own opposite, and yet beyond both. This is not a riddle, but a statement of Mastery, and one which, alas, so few have the ability to understand." - Anton Long

#22475 - 03/24/09 02:34 PM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Rasha]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
I thought it might be interesting to start a thread based on quotes.

I don't see anything interesting about it...
Postwhores can start spamming quotes (even the most useless, most incoherent and most unthoughtfull ones..)
Also, in my opinion: quoting people only shows one has a lack of intelligence, inspiration or authenticity.
I'll give more credit to someone who writes a whole new essay (even when it is full of BS) then someone with perfect grammar/spelling where 3/4 has been ripped off from other authors..

Edited by Dimitri (03/24/09 02:35 PM)

#22481 - 03/24/09 04:54 PM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Dimitri]
Rasha Offline
stranger

Quoting is not ripping off authors because it is providing a reference. Authors also quote other authors. Does this mean they lack intelligence? I respect your opinion but it is definitely wrong. And the majority of people writing and posting essays are usually rewriting or rewording things they have already read. I have less respect for that. You might be right on the spam whores.

“Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.”

- Robert Dewar

#22483 - 03/24/09 05:12 PM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Rasha]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
I would tend to agree with Dimitri.

Posting a quotation complete with some interpretation or reason why the words have value to you would be contribution. Just posting naked quotes is spam.

#22484 - 03/24/09 05:23 PM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Dan_Dread]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
For instance, this gem:

"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have."

-A. Einstein.

I would agree with this statement because I think Dr. Einstein recognized a basic truth that many tend to forget: We are not at the apex of technology, or anywhere near it. Our science can help us in giving direction to further study, but our knowledge base has hardly scratched the surface in depth compared to what it could and will be.
We are still primitive apes, just barely able to peek over the wall at a distance, towards reality. Yet without our science, our method of ascending this wall in the hopes of one day scaling it, we are at a standstill.

Truly today's magic is tomorrows science. It is a matter of embracing the method and moving forward, or rejecting it and remaining ignorant.

#22516 - 03/25/09 10:00 AM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Rasha]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Ow yeah, quoting is not ripping off authors and actually is providing a reference...
Sounds BS to me...
As dan said: "posting naked quotes is just spam".
I even don't see any value in quoting brainlesly diverse authors. Why should I care what "important people might have said".. fuck'em most of them are dead already..

Quote:
And the majority of people writing and posting essays are usually rewriting or rewording things they have already read.

When rewriting in own words or rewording certain aspects can give a subject a whole other point of view so in depth-investigation is possible. If you don't, you stick around with 1 opinion and are lacking different perspectives to achieve more results or better knowledge...

The sphere surrounding you now IMO is the one of "false knowledge".. it means acting intelligent, but not being it.

#22518 - 03/25/09 10:23 AM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Dan_Dread]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
You are correct, but many times the quotations themselves are quite self explanatory. Further interpretation would in that case be just saying the same thing twise, like your example there.
Of course quoting some mad poet would leave me waiting for some explanation for I have little to none understanding for poetry ;\)
My intention is not encouraging people posting some inane quotes, just because they don't have anything else to say, but I must say I sometimes enjoy reading good quotes, it's a marvel how well some writers have the ability to transfer original emotion to sentences in such an artistic yet mundane way. And poor interpretation would just strip it from all its beauty.

But what I would like people to add to their quotations is the source, and I don't mean the other web site quoting the author but the name of the article from which it was originally quoted from. That would also imply that the guy posting another man's thoughts had also himself done some research and given thought to what he has read, and give the opportunity for others as well to find new authors and/or literature to study if they found the quote appealing.

That's all...

#22519 - 03/25/09 10:35 AM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Dimitri]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Originally Posted By: Dimitri
Why should I care what "important people might have said".. fuck'em most of them are dead already..

Does that also mean you don't read any literature? At least not any books written by now dead authors, and especially not if they were deemed important in their time?

Not meant as an offence, but that sentence was just too silly to be ignored.

#22521 - 03/25/09 10:52 AM Re: Process of Thought [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Does that also mean you don't read any literature? At least not any books written by now dead authors, and especially not if they were deemed important in their time?

I meant that keep repeating the same thing which is typical for a certain period in history a hundred times is quite useless. Especially if the words or sentences have no value/ can't be reflected upon in this modern time. It only has historical value..

It doesn't mean I'm not reading "old" littrature. I'm only not repeating it word by word without thinking. I give it a little of my own twist.. (read: add own experiences and knowledge I gathered about the certain subject).

#22523 - 03/25/09 11:09 AM Re: Process of Thought [Re: Dimitri]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Yeah, I understood you didn't mean it that way.
Now I don't think that even though the sentences are removed from the original context and are not from this time, that it makes them useless or meaningles. I don't remember whose signature here it was but it was a quote from DeSade, something about accustoming to evil, that was really great. I know the author but am not familiar with his works, and just seeing that quote lit a desire to know more of his work.
And speaking of quotes or originality, some quotes have carried a lot more wisdom in one sentence than most of "original" posts I can find.

Of course it is silly to just post quotes that have no meaning to the one posting it, and thus it would be good to offer some thought on the subject, why the author is worth quoting...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.