Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#22473 - 03/24/09 12:14 PM 7 Deadly Sins: Lust
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I just watched a show on The History Channel called "7 Deadly Sins". The installment I watched was focused on my personal favorite: Lust.

It was an intersting program that focused on how sexuality has been viewed by different civilizations through out history and the effects that "sin" has had on humanity.

Something interesting I found out that I was previously unaware of was the the 7 Deadly Sins were written by a man in exile in the desert in the 400's AD and were originally called "The 8 Tempting Thoughts". A much more positive and less threating name. The man who wrote them, his name escapes me, was exiled into the desert for having an affair with a Roman general's wife.

The show also talks about how feelings of sexual desire (lust) come from testorone and feelings of love come from dopeamine and how the two can often be confused with each other as well as influence each other (IE sex = love and love = sex).

I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested. I am going to watch the shows other installments today and see if they are intersting as this one was.

#22520 - 03/25/09 10:46 AM Re: 7 Deadly Sins: Lust [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I watched the entire series. I thought it was rather informative and put together well. I think, but could be wrong, that either Constantine or Charlamange is responsible for making them the "7 Deadly Sins" and incorporating them into Christian dogma. This was done several centuries after the exiled monk's death. History channel has the entire series on it's website if you would rather watch at your leisure.

#22525 - 03/25/09 11:36 AM Re: 7 Deadly Sins: Lust [Re: fakepropht]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yeah I have been watching on Comcast On-Demand. Just watched the gluttony one, will either watch envy or anger next. If I remember correctly, it was Gregory who changed their name and incorporated them into Christian dogma.

#22579 - 03/26/09 11:54 AM Re: 7 Deadly Sins: Lust [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
lust=strength in some tarot systems...i have found this to be accurate.

very interesting sounding program...I don't own a television though

Edited by 97and107 (03/26/09 11:55 AM)

#33987 - 01/14/10 08:54 AM Re: 7 Deadly Sins: Lust [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Baron dHolbach Offline

I always thought it odd that drunkenness never made it onto the list, nor gambling. Some monks nowadays brew liquor for sale so maybe calling drunkenness a deadly sin would cut into their revenue!

Sloth is a favorite of mine. There are many days when I work less than four hours at my job, having gotten my responsibilities down to a science. I have no interest at all in getting promoted.

It's easy to see why sloth would have made the list. If there's anything monks want to dissuade, it's sloth. Plenty of chores to do in the abbey.

#34197 - 01/19/10 03:05 AM Re: Belphegor e [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
Oh, and I love sloth, too. I used to joke that all the other cardinal sins had a demon with a band named after it, except sloth. Nobody was called Belphegor. Turns out I found their recent album at a local movie rental. I was happily surprised, but it just shows that BM bands are rapidly running out of demons.

I finally remembered where I had heard that name Belphegor.

Spelled with an "e" at the end, Belphegore is a god of battle in the GMUD Threshold:
http://www.thresholdrpg.com/?page=religion/belphegore

Belphegore with an "e" at the end would have made a fine namesake for a metal band, as I think the above link should corroborate, and it wouldn't astonish me if at least one member of the band Belphegor plays (or played) Threshold.

In the game, incidentally, an important element of play is moral polarity. A player's polarity can be good, evil, or neutral. Belphegore is evil and requires that his followers be evil too. An important element of moral polarity is what you do to a corpse when you happen to stumble upon one. Burying it enhances good status. Descrating it enhances evil status.

#34210 - 01/19/10 07:19 AM Re: Belphegor e [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Jake999 Offline

Cute little aside about the demon Belphegor in mythology is that he set came from hell "to investigate rumours concerning the happiness and misery of married coupled on earth. For a while he lived among men, imitating all the intimacies that men experienced. He is said to have fled back to hell in horror, happy that intercourse between men and women did not exist there. This is the reason why the name of Belphegor is sometimes applied to misogynists and licentious men. "

#34214 - 01/19/10 07:56 AM Re: Belphegor e [Re: Jake999]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: Jake999
He is said to have fled back to hell in horror, happy that intercourse between men and women did not exist there. This is the reason why the name of Belphegor is sometimes applied to misogynists and licentious men. "

So he could also be the patron demon of anti-marriage monad curmudgeons like myself! And sloth plays into it in a way, since the "honey do" list would be anathema to a sloth demon. I'm liking him more and more!

#34258 - 01/20/10 06:12 AM Re: Belphegor e [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
But hey, the Belphegore character from the game sounded a little like the modern symbolic Satan to me. Not entirely, but in intent he was similar. Strength through adversity, betterment of the individual, etc.

You may be surprised, Maw, at how hard your above comment struck me. Hell, it grabbed me by the neck like a fucking pit bull. Haunted me like a ghost the whole damn day.

My comments here will be strictly about the Satan symbol. Not Satanism as a philosophy.

I often think of anthropomorphic symbols in terms of Loki and Thor. These two are opposite types in my mind, the first an archetype of the insidious scheming corrupter, the latter of the barbarian brawling berserker. The former is Hannibal Lecter during the time he is trapped behind glass and can only impact the world through words, the latter is Hannibal Lecter when he has managed to escape his bonds and is biting and clawing his way to freedom. The former is Wormtongue, the latter is Lurtz, the Uruk-Hai invented by Peter Jackson for his movie trilogy.

It occurred to me, immediately upon reading your comment above, that I had been restricting my perception of the Satan symbol to Loki, Lecter behind the glass, Wormtongue. (Again, I am talking strictly about the symbol, not the associated philosophy.) I had been blinding myself to the Thor, Lecter unbound, Lurtz, aspect of the Satan symbol - the Belphegore with an "e" at the end aspect.

No more. I am deliberately restructuring my psyche around the more comprehensive perception of the Satan symbol as Loki/Thor combined, depicted so well in the Norse myths wherein Thor and Loki, so different from one another, would nevertheless be traveling companions and face dangers together. After all, there is a time and a place for LBM, and a time and a place for a cross punch to the neck followed by a roundhouse to the jaw. The Satan symbol should serve us in all times and places.

See this Image Gallery post for a practical action I took this morning (a product I purchased) that aligns with my above intent:
http://www.the600club.com/dir/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=34259#Post34259

#34267 - 01/20/10 09:26 AM Re: Belphegor e [Re: Baron dHolbach]
MorningStar93 Offline
stranger

Loc: Ecotopia

Originally Posted By: Baron dHolbach
I finally remembered where I had heard that name Belphegor.

Spelled with an "e" at the end, Belphegore is a god of battle in the GMUD Threshold:
http://www.thresholdrpg.com/?page=religion/belphegore

http://www.thresholdrpg.com/?page=religion/calypso

At the same MMORPG website you can find many deities. My favourite would be Goddess Calypso, Goddess of Magic and Luck. She is neutral on the good-evil alignment and defeats her opponent’s trough superior technology.

To say something about my personality I could say that when I play Civilization I try to survive with the lowest amount of military as possible and put all effort into research. Then when the research has reached a new powerful type of unit I build an army (like swordsmen or tanks) and overwhelm my enemies with it.

Relying on Luck can be dangerous. If it doesn't work then fuck it. All strings are clipped and no obligations remain. Maybe another attept at some other time.

"I knew there'd come a day I'd set you free" - Anastacia

MorningStar93

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.