Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#23918 - 04/30/09 03:28 PM Re: Jesus Camp. [Re: Bacchae]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
"Beliefs are not to be respected just because they are beliefs. Societies in which any kind of abrasive criticism constitutes “abuse” clearly have a problem."

i love this quote from eagleton's article. interesting site, by the by. how descriptive of our current society. one fascinating aspect of christian extremism and the religious right is the ever present haste and willingness to cite criticism as unethical and abusive. this form of self-victimized thought encourages even the most progressive christians to empathize with the "plight" of christians everywhere. bullpucky, as my father would say.

jesus camp may stimulate fear and horror among purely rational thinkers. but i also think it has been positively thought provoking in the intellectual christian set.

#24112 - 05/04/09 04:16 AM Re: Jesus Camp. [Re: Bacchae]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
this thread reminded me of the 1950s opera "susannah" by carlyle floyd.

it depicts christian extremism at its worst, and is a diatribe against mob mentality. the opera has some of the most disturbing imagery in it, especially in the chilly church revival scenes. it includes real holy roller hymns, speaking in tongues, and bears an uncanny resemblance to "jesus camp."

i wonder what floyd would have thought of "jesus camp." something tells me he came from such a background.

here is a concert version (meaning unstaged) of one of the revival scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxmpbx-qrtk

the gist of the story is that this innocent appalachian teen girl named susannah (after the biblical story susannah and the elders) is denounced by the entire town of fanatical christians for sleeping with a retarded boy. the preacher assumes that since she is a fallen woman, he might as well have at it, and rapes her. he discovers her hymen was intact, proving that she didn't sleep with the retard. but rather than admitting this, he tries to cover up his crime. her brother finds out, shoots the preacher, and the town floods susannah's homestead, demanding vengeance. susannah is left alone, madly clutching her rifle.

obviously this opera doesn't go over well in heavily christian communities.

#24144 - 05/04/09 03:42 PM Re: Jesus Camp. [Re: Meq]
Tranceparent Sky Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Meq
 Originally Posted By: coelentrate
One of the main characters, the kid with the rat-tail, kept rocking himself back and forth. Almost constantly. That's a sign of insanity.

That kid's hair was pretty long. Gee, what does the Bible say?

1 Corinthians 11:14 (King James Version): "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?"

Ah well, we're all sinners I guess \:D

I find it even more interesting that Christ is often depicted with long hair, had he no shame?

If it makes anybody feel better, that "camp" was shut down.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003365311_jesuscamp08.html

Ted Haggard LOL.

#24236 - 05/06/09 10:56 PM Re: Jesus Camp. [Re: blsk]
OG MUPPET Offline
stranger

Loc: st/louis Mo.
Yep, that'll do it.

I all most feel sorry for these little bastards, all most.

It's good to see that it's shut down though. I seen the date on the "we're closing shop" article was Nov.8, they most likely know that with-out Gorge"WWJD"Bush. their time was running out. They keep saying "Years", I'm thinking they mean in increments of 4 & 8. lol fuckem.

Ted Hagered, I'd "all most" let that bitch suck me off just so I could piss in his mouth. It seems only fair the bile flow both ways.

Falsehoods, are a disease, in which the Satanist, is merely born immune.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.