Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#22507 - 03/25/09 04:59 AM what is satanic brimstone symbol?
the caco daemon Offline
lurker

Loc: u.s.a.
in terms of lavey what did the satanic brimstone stand for?
#22510 - 03/25/09 05:41 AM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: the caco daemon]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Maybe it was just irony, considering the symbol you speak of is the symbol for sulfur in alchemy. I could be wrong though, I never knew the guy.

#22526 - 03/25/09 12:00 PM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Jake999 Offline

Brimstone = (get ready for it)...(here it comes)...(great esoteric knowledge alert)...BRIMSTONE.

It was used simply because of the old term "fire and brimstone," which was used to describe the circus-tent revival preacher's style. The preacher was said to preach "fire and brimstone," -- raise hell -- which was simply a way to say the consequences of not leading a Christian life. So... in The Satanic Bible, you find the brimstone he was talking about.

And yes... the symbol for brimstone is the symbol for sulphur in Alchemy. WHY do you suppose this could BE??? Sulpher was called Brimstone in the musty dusties of history, which is why the alchemists used BRIMSTONE instead of sulphur.

#22527 - 03/25/09 12:09 PM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: Jake999]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yes, that is exactly what I was getting at.

#22549 - 03/25/09 09:01 PM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
It's the alchemical symbol for sulfur, as others have stated. Sulfur/Brimstone is associated with hell, hence, Satan. LaVey might have also chosen it because it vaguely resembles a Christian cross, to make it seem blasphemous- and as everyone knows, blasphemy is fun for the whole family.

I haven't seen the symbol associated with Satan in any other context before LaVey, so I'm going to assume he was the first to draw the correlation.

#22622 - 03/27/09 02:47 AM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: the caco daemon]
JudgeFudge Offline
stranger

Loc: Hills of Appalachia.
 Originally Posted By: the caco daemon
in terms of lavey what did the satanic brimstone stand for?

I think it's just because hell was described in the Holy Bible as a lake of fire and molten brimestone.

"But the fearful, and unbelieving . . . shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone."-Revelation 21:8.

#24265 - 05/07/09 08:45 PM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: The Zebu]
Sharschosen Offline
stranger

"LaVey might have also chosen it because it vaguely resembles a Christian cross"

More to the point (or maybe just in my pointed little head), it resembles an eastern orthodox cross with a pair of balls.

But yes, I think it was just supposed to be symbolic of Hell through the Brimstone connection, which is all it really needs to be.

Now here's my question, anyone seen a Brimstone pendant or the like for sale online? Other than the church's website, of course...

#24271 - 05/07/09 09:55 PM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: Sharschosen]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

The connection to alchemy as well as the visual impact makes this the symbol I associate with the most. To me the symbol of infinity is clear. Add to this the studded shaft of a Cross of Lorraine and a phallic symbol clearly emerges. Is this the sign of nonstop pleasure or is it a phallic symbol of never ending pain and torture. Remember Brimstone/ Sulfur has been associated with Satan and hell for a longtime. Just like any other Satanic symbolism it is borrowed from others. But perhaps this one was tailor made.

~T~

Pendant and ring

Edited by ta2zz (05/07/09 09:58 PM)
Edit Reason: added link

#24312 - 05/09/09 02:38 AM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: the caco daemon]
delusion Offline
pledge

Loc: hawaii
I only wear it when I'm feeling particularly spikey. With regard to meaning and history the previous posts are ok ta2zz gave you a good starting point.

I have taken some creative liberty with it's alchemical meanings. I had always heard that when demons appear they are preceded by the unmistakable smell of sulfur. That always had a big impact on me so naturally I incorporated it into my personal image. So when the mood fits I wear the sulfur symbol as a representation of that concept. It works for me.

I had a friend who damn near ruined it for me by pointing out that the symbol does in fact look like a cross with balls but in the end my connection to its demonic allusion was stronger than my repulsion to having a balls cross hanging from my neck.

Mark Defrates does a nice looking piece.

Regards,
Delusion

#24358 - 05/09/09 11:57 PM Re: what is satanic brimstone symbol? [Re: Sharschosen]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I've seen some online, but nothing too fancy... but one day I saw this one tent at a Renaissance Fair that was selling a nice-sized silver brimstone cross for 15 bucks. Bought it right there, after my mind got over the fact that such a dumbed-down event was selling something blatantly Satanic. (They also had Nazi-era style jewelry... it was interesting...)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.