Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#24152 - 05/04/09 04:35 PM How does Magick work
jne1991 Offline
lurker

I would like to know how Magick works. I know that you can come up with all kinds of spells by googling "witchcraft spells", but which ones are valid. I am new to this subject and just want someone who will sit down and discuss this with me.
#24157 - 05/04/09 05:11 PM Re: How does Magick work [Re: jne1991]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

You could try a search on the forum using the word magic. The search is a bit troublesome but if you take your time and read everything you should be able to figure it out. After reading what has already been said on the subject of ritual and magic you may realize your questions have been answered. If nothing else it may help you in preparing a better question and you may start to learn where certain people’s ideas on the subject lie.

You might also want to search a thread called “mentoring” you can learn something there.

~T~

Until then, "How does prayer work"?

#24180 - 05/04/09 11:57 PM Re: How does Magick work [Re: jne1991]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
We also happen to have an entire forum devoted to such matters: try the Occult forum. I would strongly recommend reading rather than posting.

Homo Homini Lupus

#25721 - 06/17/09 09:20 AM Re: How does Magick work [Re: jne1991]
Hyperborean Offline
stranger

Loc: Kansas
The Satanic Bible happens to dabble in this subject... You seem to be asking about influencing gods and fairies to do your bidding... you are on a fruitless path. We know that the only true magic comes from one's ability to influence PEOPLE, living, breathing people. This is done with keen observation and action. Your mind is the most dangerous and helpful "magic tool" you can possibly have. You can't possibly believe that by saying a few words and burning some sage that a fucking fairy will make an enemy cease their assault. Perform a self-empowering ritual, if need be, to give yourself the ability to smash your enemy! TSB speaks of how important it is to focus on the desired outcome, not necessarily the words and such. Anton LaVey discusses that the words he chose to incorporate into the rituals are used specifically for their sound and, thus, for their potential ability to empower the person hearing and/ or speaking them. The actual words have no "mystic power"; the only power they have is to potentially give your mind the power to understand and perform. Some rituals, in fact, are strictly for your relief. This is why the ritual chamber is referred to as the intellectual decompression chamber: if something is aggravating you to the point that you can no longer function properly, then the ritual chamber is the place to unload your hatred, your fear, your anxiety, etc. so that you may function at a higher level.
#27181 - 07/16/09 08:35 PM Re: How does Magick work [Re: Hyperborean]
Crugeon Offline
lurker

Loc: Birmingham, England
Sorry if I am posting out of topic with this, but I was wondering if meditation could be seen as a form of magic or for that matter part of self-gain in terms of reflecting upon yourself?
#27213 - 07/18/09 03:32 AM Re: How does Magick work [Re: Crugeon]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
Meditation can be useful as a means to reduce stress and relax, so in that sense yes it can be used for self gain. As part of a ritual, meditation is not required as Satanic magic relies on strong emotion and desire while meditation is typically a method of relaxing, reflecting and finding peace... of course you could always create your own ritual involving meditation if you felt the need, but then again if you're new to the occult it's maybe best that you stick to the basics.
#27219 - 07/18/09 01:34 PM Re: How does Magick work [Re: Saligia]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Not quite... you're thinking of EASTERN meditation-- an element in Hindu/Buddhist practice, focuses on calming the mind and clearing it of all thought to achieve a state of bliss.

Western meditation, on the other hand, is almost the opposite- its' purpose is the direction of the entire mind upon a single element... placing the focus of the will upon one thing, towards achieving some purpose, or knowing the reality of some truth, et cetera. It is a central element in western occultism.

I don't see eastern meditation techniques as being useful aside from simple relaxation... although there are some more eclectic-minded Satanists who utilize Kundalini yoga, in which a serpent is envisioned to crawl up their spine and "unlock" all of their bodily chakras, in order to lead the mind into some state of enlightened ecstasy.

#27257 - 07/20/09 06:09 AM Re: How does Magick work [Re: The Zebu]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
 Originally Posted By: The Zebu

Western meditation, on the other hand, is almost the opposite- its' purpose is the direction of the entire mind upon a single element... placing the focus of the will upon one thing, towards achieving some purpose, or knowing the reality of some truth, et cetera. It is a central element in western occultism.

Thanks for that, you learn something new everyday \:\)

#27258 - 07/20/09 07:15 AM Re: How does Magick work [Re: The Zebu]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Not quite... you're thinking of EASTERN meditation-- an element in Hindu/Buddhist practice, focuses on calming the mind and clearing it of all thought to achieve a state of bliss.

Having had personal experience with various forms of Buddhist meditation, I can say that your dichotomy between Western/Eastern is not strictly accurate.

Buddhist 'mindfulness' meditation typically involves focussing the attention on one thing, usually the breath, to create a mental state of relaxed concentration and absorption.
In Zen-style meditation (Zazen) the focus is broader, as all sensory experience becomes an object of meditation. There is also a walking meditation to compliment this.

These are forms of "abhavana" meditation, involving a pure concentration in the here and now with no direct future goal. More advanced practitioners may also move onto "insight" meditations with a philosophical component (in the Buddhist view, allowing experience of the nature of reality).

Buddhists also practice goal-focussed "bhavana" (meaning "cultivation") meditations, which in a Buddhist context involves developing values such as compassion (these may involve affirmations and visualisations to achieve this end).
The technique is adaptable to achieve other goals however - which is why pious Buddhists often warn against using meditation for selfish ends - the potential is there.
For a Satanist however such warnings can be disregarded. ;\)

There are also various yogic and Taoist meditative practices, usually geared towards the ideology in mind. These too can be adapted to one's personal goals and values.

#27331 - 07/21/09 08:20 PM Re: How does Magick work [Re: jne1991]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
 Originally Posted By: jne1991
I would like to know how Magick works. I know that you can come up with all kinds of spells by googling "witchcraft spells", but which ones are valid. I am new to this subject and just want someone who will sit down and discuss this with me.

Hi jne1991,

You can only learn magic by doing magic. It is an experiential art, not a rational one. You can't do it by reading or philosophising in the comfort of your armchair (or asking noob questions of an internet forum).

Dedicate yourself to doing 30 minutes a day of rituals and meditation, however defined. Play, experiment, create, destroy. That is all you need.

If you still don't know where to start after reading this, there are lots of books out there so start reading. If you lack the funds to acquire literature, then invent a spell that will bring the literature to you. It would not be hard to adapt one of your googled "witchcraft spells" to this end.

G.O.D.

#27338 - 07/21/09 09:59 PM Re: How does Magick work [Re: god.over.djinn]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Magic, Magik, Magick I replied and the OP disappeared not to be seen since this post a couple of months ago. Is it magic, perhaps divine intervention, or just plain luck?

Maybe they figured it out and transcended the human condition. Once we start believing in one fantasy others will soon follow. Most magicians, witches, and the like fool themselves as Christians do with prayer.

Silly adults, fantasy is for children.

~T~

#27451 - 07/24/09 02:16 AM Re: How does Magick work [Re: ta2zz]
bluj666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Tennessee,USA
I dont know if i agree with that statment.
For the most part "magic" is concidered the science of using ones will to mold and form the universe to ones desires (within reason). If you think through magic you are going to become rich by doing nothing, you're wrong. Prayer my simply be a form of this science, just a very simple way of doing so. Alot of witches and magicans dont call their works spells, but rather call them prayers. Now I may not be the biggest supporter of LeVays works or completely agree with his philosophies (though i would reccomend anyone to read the Satanic Bible as it does make valid points) but i will give him credit for basically simplifing the concept of magic, to where even the simplest of minds can understand it. The problem with Christian prayer is they pray then sit on their asses and just expect something to happen. Magic molds things into your favor (sometimes it can do more) but the caster does have to do something to finish the act.

#27455 - 07/24/09 05:22 AM Re: How does Magick work [Re: bluj666]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

First of all; what statement do you disagree with and why do you disagree with it?

"Magic",when considering card or other parlour tricks, is nothing more than slight of hand and/or misdirection. Satanic Greater Magic, as I understand it, is just a way for one to purge, or cleanse, themself and their mind from certain emotions that are a hinderance to the enjoyment of their life and pursuits.

Lesser Magic is just applied psychology. One who is proficient in that skill is viewed as manipulative by some, and charismatic by others. Take Hitler for an example; to most people these days he would be considered manipulative, to those he was influencing, he was charismatic. Manipulative, charismatic, they are really one in the same, the only deciding factor is the view point from which the actions are seen.

There is no "energy" or "power" behind any so-called magical working other than that which one puts into it. To believe that it (magic) holds any mystical powers is to fall into the same delusions that those who believe in prayer are under.

#27466 - 07/24/09 10:20 PM Re: How does Magick work [Re: ta2zz]
bluj666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Tennessee,USA
 Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Maybe they figured it out and transcended the human condition. Once we start believing in one fantasy others will soon follow. Most magicians, witches, and the like fool themselves as Christians do with prayer.

I disagreed with this statement. But on that statement im out of this discussion

#27474 - 07/25/09 01:25 AM Re: How does Magick work [Re: ta2zz]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
 Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Magic, Magik, Magick I replied and the OP disappeared not to be seen since this post a couple of months ago. Is it magic, perhaps divine intervention, or just plain luck?

~T~

Hi Ta2zz,

I can sympathise with your sentiments, having known my share of "occultists", and having read my share of garbage.

What I would like to contend is that, even given the non-existence of supernatural agencies, magic can have non-trivial psychological effects. If people are curious, then IMO they should not be booed for giving it a shot.

Thinking that fantasies aren't necessary is a fantasy. This is the point on which mainstream Atheism fails for me, in comparison to the romantic outlet afforded by atheistic Satanism (or Satanic Atheism?)

G.O.D.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.