Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#24162 - 05/04/09 05:41 PM Occult Shops, a sustainable business?
Sharschosen Offline
stranger

So, I was thinking earlier, and realized that one might do good business laying "curses" for paying customers, as well as removing said curses for paying customers. Now of course it likely wouldn't accomplish anything for the customers, but it's not like one really has to care about that. As long as the customer feels something was accomplished, they'll leave satisfied, and having gone to a Satanist to magically attack someone, they'll feel they have just done something dangerous, enjoying the feel of vicariously being a dangerous person. The satanist makes sure that the ritual, if watched, is sufficiently mystical that the rube can't exactly tell what is going on, or what part's important, and is entertaining. Now, one would be hard pressed to obtain a bank loan on the business model of being a magic hitman, but, if one were to incorporate an occult shop, and maybe offer tarot readings and such, and cite such a business's survival potential in a recession, well, maybe one could do better.

My question is, do people think such a business would actually do well? Even if one didn't bring in enough would be cursers to survive, the tarot readings and material sales should bring in enough money to survive.

#24163 - 05/04/09 05:58 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Sharschosen]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Down here about half of the African immigrants are witchdoctors that do about everything you can imagine from curses to readings to potions and stuff. Considering the amount of them I do think it pays well. At least to their expectations.

I do think you'll have a hard time appearing more "magickal" than them.

D.

#24168 - 05/04/09 06:14 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Diavolo]
Sharschosen Offline
stranger

heh, well fortunately I'm in America, and appearing more magical than the average person (which is all I'd have to do) and offering Curses for sale and curses removed, is easy.

Edit: misread your post the first time, I take it you're talking about New Orleans or there about? Well, my point still stands for california. Out of curiosity, what do they demand price wise?

Edited by Sharschosen (05/04/09 06:17 PM)

#24171 - 05/04/09 06:36 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Sharschosen]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
One of my mother's friends owns a small shop selling magical supplies (mostly Wiccan, though I have bought some decent candles there). To supplement her income, she will perform various rituals including tarot readings, rune casting, "purification" and others. For most of the smaller rituals she charges something in the region of £15-£20, while larger rituals (such as blessings or recovering lost memories) could cost more than £60. On top of that, you can buy "pre-blessed" candles for an extra £3 (I'm afraid I don't know how pounds convert to dollars, it seems to change a lot at the moment).
She doesn't have a great deal of customers, but I imagine it wouldn't be a bad idea simply to add to your existing income if you have the time for it.
Personally I would look at offering predominantly Wiccan rituals, purely because you should attract more clients that way. If people are willing to give you their hard earned cash in return for spells then I'm sure you could put the money to much better use.

#24173 - 05/04/09 06:56 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Saligia]
Sharschosen Offline
stranger

I generally assume a £1>$2 conversion, since that's about what it was when I was there a few years ago. I figure curses might do well, seeing as how that plays into the image of a satanist, let's people feel dangerous while staying "innocent", and it's an.. unsupplied resource. But yeah, other random rituals would be good to offer as well, and I figure if I can find a wiccan to go into business with that has good credit, they can do the curse removal. I just have to find one willing to "Sell their gift" as my ex would put it.

#24200 - 05/05/09 03:02 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Sharschosen]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Starting an occult shop isn't a bad idea, but chances are you're going to have to "sell out" to an extent (ie, pretend to be a fluffy new-agey wiccan). Palm readings, horoscopes, spells-on-demand, etc, are actually fairly easy to learn how to do....

...it's only a matter of how comfortable you are with ripping off gullible people.

#24217 - 05/06/09 08:03 AM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: The Zebu]
ParadiseLost51 Offline
stranger

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: The Zebu

...it's only a matter of how comfortable you are with ripping off gullible people.

If they are gullible then they deserve to have their money taken from them. Agreed?
I've always dreamed of opening some form of occult shop, but it would never work out. Too many uber-christians that would boycott me or try and burn down the store. Real christian eh?
haha

#24224 - 05/06/09 02:00 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Sharschosen]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I see one "problem" with your idea. Reputation.

We live in a right now world. We want our burger right now. We don't want to wait 5 minutes for a video to download. We dinosaurs(those over the age of 30) remember what it was like before fax machines and email made sending documents in seconds possible. It could take a week for an important document to get to you by the mailman, then another week for that document to get back to the one that mailed it.

So, how do you counteract the right now customer? Most rubes would expect results soon. The guy that comes in and wants you to make his cheating ex wife violently sick isn't going to want to hear "it may take a year for it to work". He is going to expect a phone call within days that his ex wife is in the hospital. A customer might come in and want you to make an enemy "go broke" or have financial crisis. What happens when that person instead hits the lottery or suddenly comes into greater riches?

What I am getting at....is word on the street. The dissatisfied customer is going to talk. I wasted $100 with this "evil Satanic dude" to have my wife get sick, and she still isn't sick. Don't waste your money going there. It doesn't work. The customer base falls off. You lose potential clients. I do it every day someone asks me about a particular tattoo shop. They probably do some of the best work in the area. But they treat the customer like ass. The over charge the customer. Because of that, I tell anyone that asks me "DO NOT GO THERE". I know I have steered quite a number of new clients away from them.

#24247 - 05/07/09 03:20 AM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: fakepropht]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Well first of all, you're not going to get any good business by flaunting Satanism. Professional occultists, mediums, and fortune-tellers have enough trouble as it is due to the stigma that anything spiritual is "evil and Satanic".

Reputation does play a large role, and it's easy to lose clients in that kind of work. However, since the customer base tends to be gullible, that works to your advantage. People who regularly consult magicians-for-hire, psychics, and the like, often blindly believe in the power of the supernatural regardless of the results, simply because they want to. The failure of a commissioned spell is not as disastrous, as, say, a stock plummet stemming from a crappy consulting session.

And if the spell "works", then you've pretty much got the client hooked, and you'll get a lot more bullshit points.

As long as you don't act like a dick, and do a good job at pretending to be a nice little spiritualist hippie, it's not a bad living if you run a metaphysical bookstore on the side; maybe teach a class or two.... have fat teenagers learn about fluffy-style Wicca, or deliver some watered down pseudo-Qabalistic drivel into the heads of balding New-Agers.

Of course, I'd sooner shoot myself. As much as I'd like to live out the Christian fantasy of orchestrating an evil Satanic conspiracy behind the New Age movement... I've got better things to do. Like post on these forums.

#24264 - 05/07/09 08:40 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: The Zebu]
Sharschosen Offline
stranger

well, ideally, I'd be in business with a less-than fluffy wiccan who has no problem with being partner to a spell-seller specifically targeting rubes, they can hold up the squeaky clean image, while I can do brisk trade in the image that Satan excels in, all your hearts desires for the right price. Like I said, I'd be aiming to get people wanting to feel "badass" through someone else's darkness, and as LaVey himself (and Gilmore, though... I prefer to not think about his writting... "It pains us precious..." and all that...), everyone's looking to feel like a big shot, and most do so through other big shots.

I'm sure as hell not saying I'd be a big shot because I sell a destruction ritual every now and then, but, well "Let me entertain you..."

#24272 - 05/07/09 11:23 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Sharschosen]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
I actually looked into doing this here in the Twin Cities, a very liberal area, several years ago. The zoning laws alone were enough to keep me from getting past the idea. I was hoping to open an "alternative" bookstore; I wasn't even going to call it occult. The fact that most occult supply/bookstores here have all gone out of business over the past few years just proves that your average Satanist/Occultist/Wiccan/Pagan is more than capable and comfortable buying online these days. I seriously doubt that made-to-order curses, tarot, or palmistry would sustain any storefront for more than a month anywhere. You'd be better off opening a Hot Topic franchise.

#24277 - 05/08/09 12:18 AM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Octavius]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
yes, what he said.
when I was a kid there seemed to be occultish stores all over the place. now they are extremely difficult to find, and when you do, they suck. new age and eastern paraphernalia, wind chimes, incense, and crystals.
one would think that the market is ripe for such an enterprise, but personally, i would take into consideration that many try, but few succeed. there just is not as large a demand as many armchair occultists believe.
check out the occult book industry.. there is a handful of new titles published a year. and most of them suck too.

#24371 - 05/10/09 03:25 AM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Bacchae]
Gabby Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: West Virginia
You may want to look into Hoodoo...it is magic without rules, although there are some elements of Christianity from the Hoodoo culture. There are usually reasons for putting a hex on someone, IMO it can come back to you and I don't do them. I find that if I stay away from it then I have a much stronger healing ability.

#24376 - 05/10/09 03:48 AM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Gabby]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
I find that if I stay away from it then I have a much stronger healing ability.

A dark loud and raw voice from beyond the abyss:
"Deluded mind... "

No really.. stronger healing ability? Since when does disinfecting a wound with normal things depend on religion?
Fucking bullshit.. be rational..

#24409 - 05/10/09 05:55 PM Re: Occult Shops, a sustainable business? [Re: Dimitri]
Gabby Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: West Virginia
I have a different opinion. I don't call people deluded for having different ideas about the universe. I feel like if I use my energy positively it can have an impact. No, I didn't exaggerate it quite to that extent, I do believe thoughts have impact on reality. I can't think of my 'prayers' or positive thoughts not ever having effect. Most of the time if someone has a friend who is hurt I will think about them often, and no one I have prayed for hasn't recovered yet including a boy in my town who was in a coma. I think instead of turning this into a debate we'll have to agree to disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.