Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#1311 - 10/30/07 11:31 AM Re: Replies [Re: Veldrin]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
 Originally Posted By: Veldrin

However, it's hard to respect anyone who doesn't...shall we say, care enough about his own arguments and ideas to properly capitalize.

I agree totally with your statement and add that it is hard to seriously respect someone who clearly does not respect themselves enough to capitalize their own I when writing... As I have spoken with Dak before and have seen his level of thinking I had nothing to say about this to him personally...

I myself when first posting on this forum was hit by the grammar police... My reaction was to use a signature that read "spellins and punctuations used to my liking"... This stopped the grammar police but I soon questioned myself who has won the discussion... Who truly wins by me trying to punctuate and communicate to my best ability?

I once thought as Dak but I have gotten over my ego to better myself...

Do what you will...

~T~

#1312 - 10/30/07 01:39 PM Re: Replies [Re: Veldrin]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
...Having said that, well, at least you don't type all in caps.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH TYPING IN ALL CAPS?

Since when has the forum become a job application? While I recognize the importance of conducting oneself with a sense of decorum, I also find it unnecessary to be so formal at all times. It is the same when choosing your words carefully in select company. One wouldn't go into a job interview and say "whassup, dawg? Gimme a job, motherfucker." (Although, one would have to wonder if an employer wouldn't see that as brass balls...I'll have to think about trying that one out in my next interview). But amongst friends and peers, one's tongue is, shall we say, a little more loose.

In a thread like this where there is little, if any, serious discussion, why the need for such formality?

Homo Homini Lupus

#1318 - 10/30/07 09:58 PM Re: Replies [Re: Dakindas]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
 Originally Posted By: Dakindas

Tornado, I'm just an insignificant speck with a butterfly effect. . .

Oh and you said "Mad Max" as it's known here! I thought it was exported as "Road Warrior"?

It was, and they removed all the feeling from the characters by re-dubbing it with American accents. I won't watch that shit. They gave half the characters unconvincing South Amaerican drawls.

In the UK most films are kept the way they are originally made, same with TV shows. It's only USA that re-names, re-edits and sometimes even re-makes all the shows.

#1329 - 10/31/07 02:53 PM Re: Replies [Re: TornadoCreator]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
In the UK most films are kept the way they are originally made, same with TV shows. It's only USA that re-names, re-edits and sometimes even re-makes all the shows.

That is because our shows have to be watered down, uncontroversial, without the slightest possibility of offending anyone. This is what the majority of labotomized zombies demand. We even have to have laugh tracks, to let us know when something is funny or amusing, so we know when to laugh along.

#1330 - 10/31/07 03:24 PM Re: Replies [Re: Asmedious]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I absolutely despise laugh tracks, they ruin shows, especially on more recent comedies where you need subtitles because the laugh track is so loud you can't hear the damn actors.

I know there are is least one UK sitcom that didn't have a laugh track and the American audience actually thought it was a documentary.

Edited by TornadoCreator (10/31/07 03:26 PM)

#1334 - 10/31/07 06:02 PM Re: Replies [Re: TornadoCreator]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I think there is a huge difference between a cued laugh track (Seinfeld), and a taping of a show with a live audience, like 3rd Rock From the Sun. If the laughs were canned for 3rd Rock, I don't think it would've been as successful.

I'm not surprised about Americans thinking non-canned UK shows were documentaries. The dry voice of a British commentator from National Geographic tapes back in the 70s and 80s were all our schools could get a hold of to show in science classes (think back to the Monty Python sketch with Graham and Eric hunting mosquitos--very similar). There was always some sunburnt Brit dressed up in safari khakis and wearing a pith helmet walking around in remote African grasslands, pointing at the flora and fauna and attempting to discern the way of life of the native tribes.

#1335 - 10/31/07 10:40 PM Re: Greets and intros [Re: Sliver]
Meq Offline
Banned

I've been a member of the old forum since early 2004.

I am basically an Atheist with pantheistic leanings, although I have a very strong individualistic bent.

It is within this basic framework of my understanding that I may incorporate various forms of symbolism, including Satanic imagery, but also some Christian (including Gnostic) symbolism, and ideas from Taoism and Zen, as well as Western Stoic and Epicurean philosophy (which was ruthlessly oppressed by the Church).

I also enjoy reading Nietzsche, Hume, and a bit of Spinoza and Schopenhauer, although I find I gain more knowledge per effort through well-written commentaries - especially when the original texts are badly written (try reading Hegel for fuck's sake)!

In addition to all this, I am a trained and qualified Hypnotherapist, incorporating techniques from CBT (Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy) into an evidence-based framework of psychotherapy, which also incorporates elements from Hellenistic philosophy (particularly Stoicism and Epicureanism).

And for Sliver (and others) - I'm a programmer too. I studied C and Java at university, but I've concentrated mostly on C++ (with a 3D engine) of late.
I got into programming at the age of 10, back in the early 90s.
My interests have diversified since, especially in regard to my interests in philosophy, psychology, human behaviour, martial arts, and many other areas.

I've been looking for a way to integrate my interest in programming and computers with my deeper interests in the universe, the mind and human nature...

#1337 - 11/01/07 02:10 AM Re: Greets and intros [Re: Meq]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
 Quote:
I am basically an atheist with pantheistic leanings, although I have a very strong individualistic bent.

I'm so confused...

Quote:
I also enjoy reading Nietzsche, Hume...

REALLY? Really, enjoy? ENJOY? I enjoy sex, good pizza, and a B-horror film from time to time. Nietzsche is more like "required reading", and Hume... enjoy??? Really, really, really????

No offense meant here, Paula, you're cool, but I had to ask.

Did you like "Anthem" by Ayn Rand? Have you ever read "Little Women"? Or Dickens?

#1339 - 11/01/07 02:43 AM Re: Greets and intros [Re: daevid777]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Did you like "Anthem" by Ayn Rand?

It's my all time favorite book.

Oh...just in case anyone cares.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.