Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#25290 - 06/03/09 04:42 PM Boldly Stand Erect
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

I know that posting poetry is frowned upon here, but, as I didn't right this poem and it has relevance I am going to post it anyways:

"Boldly Stand Erect" - Ragnar Redbeard

Jewish books are for the Jews,
And Jew Messiahs too.
But if you're not of Jewish blood,
How can they be for you?

To make an Idol of a book,
Is poison for the brain;
A dying God upon a cross
Is reason gone insane.

Beware of all the Holy books
And all the creeds and schools,
And every law that man has made
And all the golden rules.

"Laws" and "Rules" imposed on you
From days of old renown,
Are not intended for your "good"
But for your crushing down.

Then dare to rend the chains that bind
And to yourself be true.
Dare to liberate your mind,
From all things, old and new.

Always think your own thought,
All other thoughts reject;
Learn to use your own brain
And boldly stand erect.

The first time I read that poem I was awed, especially by the last stanza. That one stood out the most to me.

#25316 - 06/04/09 09:25 AM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
miriam Offline
pledge

Loc: Seattle, WA
considering that you are not posting rabid teenage garbage, and considering the relevance of the subject matter, i think it is safe to say kudos for opening up this topic! i, for one, am glad you did.

i'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that although i appreciate some of the sentiments expressed herein, this poem is only about the message, and proves to me that not every writer is a poet. i'd rather just read MIR senza the seuss-like lyricism (albeit it doesn't scan as smoothly as any suess i know). i can think of many poems that embody similar ideas and/or rejection of them, but are also great works of art:

"Invictus" by William Ernest Henley

a short epitaph by samuel taylor coleridge

Swans sing before they die- 'Twere no bad thing
Should certain persons die before they sing.

"To the Reader" by Charles Baudelaire - scroll down for the English version.

not only do all three of these poems express a sheer rawness of emotion and genius of art, they are indelibly subversive in their subtlety, requiring more of the reader to etch out their meaning than the redbeard. this is not to say that there isn't something invigorating about a declarative sing-song credo, and i recognize why it appeals to many people. however, it is the sing-song quality, the nursery rhyme feel that is to me, parroting and devouring itself.
ps- try singing the redbeard to the battle hymn of the republic. it works!

Edit: I replaced the lengthy quoted poems with links. This site has a "no poetry" policy, although discussion of certain pieces and their philosophical relevance may be acceptable within limits. - Meq

Edited by Meq (06/04/09 03:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Replaced quoted poems with links

#25326 - 06/04/09 04:17 PM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: miriam]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Yes Baudelaire is interesting to read and think about, especially accompanied with some French wine but even when some of his poems being marvelous, I never can shake of the impression it all being some nice artistic gimmick. Put a couple of artist together and provide free liquor and you'll end up with dark romanticism; in this case. And while it is interesting and as such will appeal to a more refined satanist, the battle hymn of Redbeard appeals to the raw part of that satanist.

It is the kind of poem one would recite while in the background churches are burning and nuns are raped. It should have been recited during the whip-scene in the "passion of Christ".
Ragnar writes for the animal that finally broke free of its cage and is very, very pissed. It touches the demon inside us that is not so refined and that becomes exited by the smell of blood, that revels in cries of agony. A demon that lives by very simple rules, very simple urges. That too is a part of Satanism, even when many try to exclude or deny it.

So yes, Redbeard's poem isn't of a literary quality comparable with Baudelaire but it invokes something far older and darker and real than Baudelaire even could imagine. And that is exactly why it is great in its simplicity.

D.

#25328 - 06/04/09 04:55 PM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: Diavolo]
miriam Offline
pledge

simplicity, perhaps is appealing. the cleanliness of the music of satie is appealing too, but give me an hour of it and i want mahler.

i would argue that baudelaire's work in general is excruciatingly blasphemous, individual, and far more horrific than anything by redbeard. the philosophy is not missing, it is just hidden- an enigma for the curious, and a jewel for the wise. it's there in spades, inciting us to think for ourselves, warning us what happens when we don't, encouraging us to reverence and make manifest the animal within.

the fact that we have to think freely in order to find this message is testament to his poetry's breaking free of the proverbial cage. baudelaire is infamous for describing the simple rules and urges of nature of which you speak, and is far more than a darkly romantic youth sitting about and imagining things that never take shape. more agony and blood is penned by baudelaire than most authors, including redbeard. gimmick? i think not.

as per blaspheming in church:
during college i was offered a rather well paying job as a soloist for a church. although it bothered me greatly (and i eventually quit for this reason), i decided it was an opportunity for me to discover what on earth these people thought, as well as the job required little other than that i show up on sunday and sing religious music- oh the sacrifice i made!. \:\)
i'd never been in a church service before this.
needless to say, i found the experience bizarre, and took to reciting the litanies of satan (baudelaire) every week under my breath when i wasn't singing, and hoping with all my vim and vigor that the chandelier would fall on the congregation and burst into flames. while part of me wondered why i was wasting my time there, deep down i gained a primitive and visceral satisfaction out of sitting coyly in my sunday best, ankles crossed, audibly invoking satan- while little old ladies put money in the collection plate that would eventually go to me.
*this is an example of immature angsty behavior that garners little effect; today i wouldn't waste my time. my point being only that refined satanists are also affected and desirous of the raw.

if given a choice, i would sooner recite the litanies during a church burning than the redbeard hymn. but i suppose the great thing is we all get to choose our own little whipping tune to whistle while we work.

#25332 - 06/04/09 05:45 PM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: miriam]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

The blatant simplicity of BSE is exactly what appeals to me. It is a very simple concept and doesn't need to be padded with a bunch "fancy" wording. It wouldn't matter if it could be sung to the tune of the Sesame Street theme song, it would still be powerful.

#25387 - 06/05/09 01:43 PM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: miriam]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

We all do look down upon simplicity but when we'd be honest with ourselves we'd realize that the biggest part of our lives is nothing but subjecting ourselves willingly, but maybe unconsciously, to simplicity. Of course we find great joy in higher indulgences too but nevertheless, compared to the rest, they are in the minority. 90% of life is simplistic and boring and if it wasn't for those 10% that skillfully deludes this realization; we might ponder about how much worth it really has and come to inevitable conclusions.

Baudelaire's idea behind "les Fleurs du mal" was to transform seemingly evil subjects in pretty flowers by using his lyrical skills. It was an exercise (or continuation) in style which maybe fitted his new darker personality, partly caused by his failure in Dandyism and partly by his fascination with Poe. It's Romantic, even when some of his subjects are realistic, dark or even ugly, and his artificial attempt to create something beautiful out of something ugly gives me the impression of it being a gimmick. This impression of course is not affecting my appreciation of certain poems an sich.

Redbeard is far simpler and he doesn't demand deep thought or exploring hidden meanings in his work. It is plain simple and straight in your face. It is a rallying call. And it is as poetic as 'kill kill kill!', which can be the most profound words ever uttered in certain scenarios. There is a poetic beauty in certain simplicities, like the slaughter on a battlefield can be a poetic view. Like a dead person or animal can be of an astonishing beauty. Like hatred can be mesmerizing even when it translates into simplicities. In that Redbeard perfectly translates the satanic state of mind. All the higher niceties aside, the satanic heart is that of a warrior, an animal that realizes terror (in a broader sense of the word) is the ultimate tool to annihilate his enemies. And those simplicities hint to a higher nature, a nobler soul and a deserving purpose hidden inside what is seen by most as the darkest of hearts.

I personally think being blasphemous is something a Satanist can't avoid. The very nature of Satanism is blasphemous. Personally I am far less anti-religious than I was during my youth. In expressing it that is. But even when not expressing it all too often any longer, my despise grew enormously during my life. Christianity and their representatives mean more to me than just being a religion. It is the promotion of weakness, of equality, the infection of politics and culture, and in such, I do think it deserves nothing but disdain. Personally I can't reason myself into any mutual win-win scenario in which I help them to help myself. Others might have different opinions upon it but I personally prefer not to compromise myself out of free will. No matter what benefit it has. If it comes at the expense of the Self, to me, it can't be beneficial at all.

D.

#25431 - 06/06/09 12:08 AM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: Diavolo]
miriam Offline
pledge

is your life really that simplistic? aside from your daily biological functions, you clearly do a lot of things that are hardly simplistic; including engaging in fairly complex dialogue here, reading (i know you read an awful lot), and i'm going to guess that you are more intellectual than many of the people you interact with on a daily basis. barring that, perhaps you surround yourself with a privy few whom you respect? not to mention the emotional and logistical complexities you are faced with every day, if you have the luxury of thinking beyond the bare necessities.

maybe our lives are in many ways filled to the brim with banalities, but it's that 10% (i really think it must be more) that to me gives my life purpose. i want something beyond the basic fight for survival- i want a reason to fight. for me, these pleasures, these artifices and romances are the bread and butter of my existence. is it possibly the effete and decadent aspect of baudelaire that you find artificial? perhaps an innately feminine quality?

naturally, i know that if everyone sat about swooning over poetry and neglecting the mundane, our world would fall apart, and the poetry itself would lose its meaning. satanic warriors are as vital to me as water. but the idea of that warrior, charging through life annihilating his enemies is indelibly romantic. it hearkens to a virile sonority and, as you mentioned, nobility of spirit.

the satanic heart is that of a warrior, but also that of a creator, a definer, a self manifest hero of free will. both "types," the fierce warrior and the inwardly burning artist augment and validate each other. the treasures of the mind and victories of the flesh are equally profound. one cannot exist without the other. they give each other meaning and birth.

i cannot agree with you more about compromising one's self. i left that particular job as soon as i began to realize this- no matter what i was paid, i was in essence paying them (the christians) as well. and the fact is, what i was giving them was more valuable than they could ever give me; my art. i was exchanging gold for bronze, and let me tell you, i learned a lesson in self preservation, and what i could not stand for. the distain in the end turned out to be mutual. on the other hand, i now know for certain what a christian is (not growing up in that culture, i didn't really understand them beyond a guttural loathing), i know why i despise them.

many people on this forum may have come from a religious background, so they came to know themselves without that semblance of naivety. for me, the benefit was learning about prostitution- the hard way.

#25456 - 06/06/09 12:37 PM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: miriam]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

10% would imply 2.4 hours of thrilling experiences each day, over and over again. I'm pretty sure even my 10% was an overestimation when people would analyze their life. Nothing, no matter how thrilling, stays that for long before it becomes routine and in that, utterly boring if one thinks about it. The most delicious food is only delicious for a certain moment, as is the greatest sex, as is the best music or writing. We thrive on these seconds, or fragments, and delude ourselves into thinking the whole experiences are of the same magnitude while in reality it is a gradual decline.
The advantage we all have is that we seldom think about it. So yes my life is simplistic, as is yours, as was Einstein's or Baudelaire's. And we all are in it for the meagre 10%; if we're so lucky to get that much.

I was not arguing Satanism is solely about the simplistic, I was arguing the simplistic aspect is an essential part of Satanism and should be the better half of his duality. The animal and the human are both two sides of the coin and while the more refined side (the human) can indulge the more spiritual part of life (from art to philosophy) the animal indulges the simplistic and raw part of life. And that animal is fed by Redbeard as much as the human is fed by Baudelaire. so yes, life is not about struggling to survive alone (sadly a struggle we have to artificially create in these days) and the warrior is (or should be) a warrior-poet, by lack of a better word. I compare it a bit with the Samurai, which when not chopping opponents into pieces filled their days with writing haiku.

I don't find Baudelaire decadent at all. I do like de Nerval too and I don't think one can't find many more decadent than him, and crazy I admit. I doubt the sincerity of Baudelaire in some of his works and see it more as a reaction to be able to tolerate his failure in aspiring other things. Many people fall prey to that luring weakness; if I can't be A, I'll do my best to be anti-A.

D.

#26623 - 07/02/09 12:20 AM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: Satans Scrotum]
Demonic Moroni Offline
stranger

Loc: Arizona
Actually, you know, this poem has already been posted.

http://www.the600club.com/topic8192-1.html

I was just looking through the past topics, and it was there.

#26630 - 07/02/09 01:26 AM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: Demonic Moroni]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Did you seriously go through my posts to see if you could find something I posted that has already been posted? That is pretty pathetic.

The only reason I pointed out what you posted had already been done is because the topic was a "fresh" one and likely to pointed out and locked by someone else anyway.

Ok, so BSE had already been posted before. No one mentioned it so obvious it had been forgotten that someone else aready posted it. What the re-posting of this did do was fascilitate conversation.

The discussion on polyamory already went around in circles and is less relevant to this board than BSE.

I say this in the nicest way possible: Get a life.

#26769 - 07/03/09 11:16 PM Re: Boldly Stand Erect [Re: Demonic Moroni]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
Honestly, this ruined a perfectly good thread. I would think that, in general, if no one had called attention to it within the first few replies and a "flow" of conversation had been established, then disrupting said flow by pointing something like that out WAY late in the game is completely unnecessary. One of the true hallmarks of a novitiate. Shall we, perhaps, get this thread back on track, if such a thing is still possible?

Originally Posted By: Diavolo
Nothing, no matter how thrilling, stays that for long before it becomes routine and in that, utterly boring if one thinks about it. The most delicious food is only delicious for a certain moment, as is the greatest sex, as is the best music or writing. We thrive on these seconds, or fragments, and delude ourselves into thinking the whole experiences are of the same magnitude while in reality it is a gradual decline.

Such things only become boring and routine if carried to excess. Even the greatest song can wear thin after many consecutive hearings. Leave the song for a while, and come back to it refreshed. Then again, being both a musician and music lover, the truly greatest music always thrills me. The pieces of music that really mean something to me rarely wear thin, though I usually try not to overdo it, just in case. ;\)

If you glut yourself too much on a favorite dish in one sitting, or have it every night for a week (as an example), and chances are you are not going to want to have that dish again for a VERY long time. Of course, you have forcefully made it routine by having it too much.

Sex is, by nature, fleeting (no matter how long you are or are NOT able to last ;\) ) so that does not, it seems to me, support your argument very well. Of course, things can become stale if you do it the same way every time. That is what the Kama Sutra is for, when you have run out of ideas. ;\)

In other words, the mundanity of once excitable things is avoidable through either moderation, or finding new ways to make them fresh. That last statement of the quote above, about the "gradual decline," sounds awfully cynical, D. Or, perhaps, it is a viewpoint that comes with age? ;\) If so, I am not quite there yet.

Homo Homini Lupus

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 24 queries. Zlib compression disabled.