Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#25297 - 06/03/09 08:05 PM Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
This post has absolutely nothing to do with Satanism, but non the less, it might be fun. At least for me.

I enjoy new gadgets. My latest purchase, which I am having a bitch of a time having delivered, due to screw ups by the sender, and UPS, is a commercial quality vapor Steam Cleaner. This is not the crap that one buys at walmart, or orders from QVC, which mainly blows out hot water.

This thing supposedly can clean a commercial kitchen spotless, blah blah blah. Supposedly, these things are very popular in Europe, and are as common in many places, as vacuum cleaners are.

So here’s my question. Do you have a favorite gadget that really lived up to your expectations and still enjoy way after purchasing it?

So far, my favorite, is, as strange as it may sound, is a “Hot chocolate maker,” that I got three years ago, from Walmart, for about $20.00 (US)
I enjoy my hot cocoa a lot in the winter time, but since I prefer using real cacao (The thing that chocolate is made from), I had to go to great lengths at getting rid of “lumps,” in my beverage. Plain stirring just doesn’t work.

The hot chocolate maker that I got, actually creates a whrill pool in the milk, completely desolving the cacao and the sugar, while at the same time heats it up to a perfect temperature.

Here’s a short list of things, that just wasn’t worth the price, and the trouble of using:

Automatic Pasta maker: This gadget took the ingredients for pasta, mixed them up, and spit out fresh pasta. Problem is, you had to get the ingredients just right, and it was a bitch to clean afterwards. The pasta itself, wasn’t bad.

Juice Extractor: Had several brands, and they all worked pretty well. Problem is, the vegetable juices aren’t very tasty, and as it turns out, drinking fruit juices is not as great as once thought, since most of the vitamins and fiber are in the bulk of the fruit, which gets thrown out as waste.

Bread Maker: Nothing bad to say about bread makers, except that the bread is so damn tasty, that I would eat a loaf a day, and gained too much weight. My gluttony got so bad, that I actually threw a perfectly good, high end model bread maker out.

Rechargeable Scrub Brush: This thing had a spinning head on it, which I thought would make scrubbing things much easier. However, the charge never lasted more then ten minutes, and it lacked power even when fully charged.
I kind of have the same problem with rechargeable razors. They tend to lose power before I have the perfect two day beard growth.

Electric Toothbrush: Used an oral b brand, that is based on the Sonic Care model, for years. Love it, and my teeth have never been cleaner. Only negative, is that you just can’t get away using it, and not flossing. Ya gotta floss, no matter what. But this thing holds a charge so well, that I can get a weeks worth of brushing on one charge.

Vitamix Blender: This is probably one of the most powerful blenders ever made. It spins so fast, that it can heat up soup, just by the speed of it spinning around. Unfortunately, they are very expensive, and I bought an old model a few years ago on Ebay for about 80 bucks. It worked ok, but it leaked, so it ended up in the garbage. However, if I was into blending and making my own flour (yes it can make flour from wheat) I would buy a new one. Although, I think they start at around $400 dollars.

Swifter Mop: What a piece of shit this thing is. Basically, it’s a dry mop, with a piece of paper on the end of it. Doesn’t do much, but pushes dust around from one spot to the next.
Instead of using that crap, I ordered a commercial grade, every day mop and mop bucket with a wringer on it, through my job. Sometimes the basics are the best.

EDIT: more stuff I thought of.

Nordic Track Skiier: By far my favorite exercise machine. I've had an original "Pro" model since 1996. (After 2002, they started making them in China, and the quality has gone considerably down, according to a guy I talked to, who repairs them.) I have used mine on and off for years (I'm using it again almost every day), and I never had a problem with it. This is one of those rare exercise machines, that is even better then the makers claim. Nothing beats it for quality and results, at home OR in the gym.

Bowflex: I have one. I guess it's ok, but it is now in the basement. The quality is fair, but not great. Bought mine around 2000 or so. I'm sure I could get ok results with it, but i just don't care to use it.

Edited by Asmedious (06/03/09 08:34 PM)

#25300 - 06/03/09 08:18 PM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: Asmedious]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I have a Bissell cleanview 2 bagless upright vacume.
It has 7 heights for cleaning, 12 amps, and its easy to empty.
It has a hepa filter, and its light.
I kill vacumes, I killed like 5 of them, but this one is really good. So far, about 7 years and counting.
I don't know how much it would cost in stores because I got it free after building up points from the stocking company I order my thigh hi's and pantyhose from.

Morgan

#25301 - 06/03/09 08:34 PM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: Asmedious]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I have a Vitamix blender, one of the newer models that my bf bought for me, and for several months I was using it everyday. I'd throw in apples, carrots, ginger, yogurt and ice cubes and have a 32oz breakfast smoothie. I also tried some of the soup recipes, but they never turned out as great as they sounded. Great blender, definitely worth the money if you're into a low-calorie diet.

I have a Breville Cafe Roma espresso maker that I've had for almost 2 years, and I use that sucker every morning. I've been able to experiment using different coffee blends, adding ground spices to the brew cup, all sorts of things. Let's just say I'll NEVER order an "espresso" from Starbucks again. I have it upstairs in my bathroom, next to my second sink, so I don't even have to go downstairs to make a double for myself. I buy a medium roast ground coffee (I try different ones all the time), regrind it to espresso fine (which brings out the flavor like you wouldn't believe), and keep a week's worth in the little grounds container. Along with sugar and the press in a little suction cup storage thing I have stuck to the mirror.

My iPod Touch, 32GB. I use it more than my cell phone (which I hate, and plan on getting in line at 6am this Saturday at Sprint to buy a Palm Pre). I have it set up with the encrypted wireless at work, so I can browse the web at my station, even hook it up to my $10 portable folding speakers from Target so I can watch video on YouTube, listen to mp3's or watch full-length videos I've loaded onto it. I can check my Gmail, store pictures, post a Tweet, check the weather in Sydney, play games, all that good stuff.

Electronic collar, made by Dogtra. It's like an invisible leash that I use to give effective corrections to my German Shepherd, because holy fuck, she's a handful. We hired the services of a personal pro dog trainer a couple of months ago, who showed us the proper way to use it, and she's made tremendous progress. When we say, "Zoe, come!" she comes right to us. Also keeps her from running off and chasing the ibises that peck and shit around work, although occasionally I'll give her an "okay" and let her go after them if she's been behaving. A "NO!" and a quick zap (set on low--it feels like a static zap from freshly-dried clothes) and she turns around and comes back. It's helped improve her focus and obedience 200%.

#25357 - 06/04/09 10:51 PM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: Nemesis]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Breville, flat sandwich toaster. I cook toasted sandwhiches in there, but use it like a meat grill and do snitzels, steak and chops in there as well. Wipe the fat out and it's good to go 2 minutes later.

Pizza tray and cutter, for home made pizzas.

#25365 - 06/05/09 05:42 AM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
I somehow manage to destroy 99% of all the electronic items I buy, so I tend to stick with the same sort of gadget for years. For example, I haven't yet upgraded from MP3 to ipod because my MP3 is nice and chunky and I can't help thinking I'll snap an ipod. My mobile phone is a good 5 years out of date (I only actually have it because I shattered the screen on my first one). I go through computers and laptops at a ridiculous rate and I don't think I've yet bought one that worked straight away without having to be taken back to the shop and repaired. This gizmo jinx is actually inherited from my mum who somehow broke a foolproof camera by taking a photo with it and drops a record number of phones down the toilet.

Probably the newest and shiniest thing I have is an xbox 360, which crashed twice and had to be repaired within 8 months of me buying it. It's good though, there's nothing quite like a group session of left 4 dead.

#25384 - 06/05/09 12:43 PM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: Saligia]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

The most useful gadget I have bought that I still get use out of is my Leatherman. While not exactly hightech, it comes in very handy with all the tools attahed to it. The cool thing is that if it ever breaks I can take it to the Leatherman factory in Portland and have it replaced for free, whether its been twenty-five minutes or twenty-five years since I bought it.

#25390 - 06/05/09 02:40 PM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: ZephyrGirl]

Zephyr, do you have a good Pizza dough recepie? Been thinking about attempting to make pizza from scratch. I was going to go out all the way, even making my own sauce. Actually have a friend who has dairy cows, and was enquiring if she knows how to make cheese. (She doesn't, and doesn't care to try lol). So I figured I'd go with the pizza dough first, and work my way up.

#25391 - 06/05/09 02:45 PM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]

6Satan6, the "Leatherman," is that one of those small multi tool gadgets? Kind of like a modern versrion of the Swiss Army Knife?
Seen them years ago and thought about getting one myself.

Often times, low tech works best. The older that I get, the more I realize how much more comfort simplicity can offer; while at the same time, I'm all in favor, and continue to be amaized at the advances in technology.
I'm still in awe of the everyday telephone. Flying in an air plane I often look around it, and try to imagine how all the parts for it came from raw materials found in the earth (except for the plastic...have no clue where plastic comes from..will have to google that sometime.)

Ok, rambling here, time to cool off. \:\)

#25425 - 06/05/09 10:48 PM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: Asmedious]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yes that is exactly what the Leatherman is, but they usually have more tools and last longer. The model I got is rather is old, I bought it back in 98, the ones these days probably come with a gieger counter and GPS.

#25448 - 06/06/09 07:39 AM Re: Gadgets and stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly [Re: Asmedious]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
No. I cheat and use PIta bread as the bases as they are light and tasty. I don't like big thick pizza bases.

Zeph

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.