Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#38506 - 05/13/10 02:48 PM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: Nemesis]
Adversary Offline
pledge

I view open-mindedness much the way Lawrence Krauss said it. That being, an open-mind is based on forcing your beliefs to conform to the evidence of reality.

Edited by Adversary (05/13/10 02:48 PM)

#38586 - 05/15/10 08:19 PM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: fakepropht]
SubtleSatanist Offline
stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice video. What many of us believe to be common sense is often not for most.

Originally Posted By: Meq
A 'strong' atheist asserts that there definitely is no god. A 'weak' atheist in contrast merely abstains from giving his assent or belief to the proposition 'there exists a god or gods', on the grounds that he currently has no good reasons to do so.

I would just like to add that Atheism is the lack of a belief in God, not the belief that there is no God. You can guess at a lot of other things about an Atheist but the only thing you can safely assume is that they lack a belief in God.

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
Your profile says you're 28? And yet you act like you're 18.

I'm 18, and I can assure you that even my 12 year old sister has a higher maturity level than that of "Gareth."

#38589 - 05/15/10 09:10 PM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: SubtleSatanist]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
 Originally Posted By: SubtleSatanist

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
Your profile says you're 28? And yet you act like you're 18.

I'm 18, and I can assure you that even my 12 year old sister has a higher maturity level than that of "Gareth."

I've no doubt of it! We've had some younger members here that have put people in their 30's to shame. I only used the age of 18 as a reference point. As you well know, there are plenty of moronic 18 year olds, just as there are exceptionally bright ones. The typical 18 year olds tend to give their more intelligent peers a bad rep.

I always like to be pleasantly surprised. It keeps life interesting!

#38594 - 05/16/10 09:34 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: SubtleSatanist]
Phobos Offline
pledge

Loc: France
I would just like to add that Atheism is the lack of a belief in God, not the belief that there is no God. You can guess at a lot of other things about an Atheist but the only thing you can safely assume is that they lack a belief in God.

I disagree. By definition, an Atheist (a-theos, "without a god") denies the existence of God. This is an absolute notion. On the contrary, an agnostic (a-gnosis, "absence of knowledge") cannot pronounce himself and simply "lacks" faith.

#38596 - 05/16/10 10:13 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: Phobos]
SubtleSatanist Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Phobos
I disagree. By definition, an Atheist (a-theos, "without a god") denies the existence of God. This is an absolute notion. On the contrary, an agnostic (a-gnosis, "absence of knowledge") cannot pronounce himself and simply "lacks" faith.

(a-theos, "without a god.") means just that, without a God. If theism is to uphold belief in a deity, then a-theism is to not uphold belief in a deity. But if we can't even define our own terms then there is little to talk about. Having said that, I'll just cite a couple definitions...

Atheism as defined on this website is as follows:
"The lack of theistic belief. Not believing in God or other deities."
http://www.the600club.com/encyclopedia/Atheism

Dictionary.com disappoints me.

On "Wiktionary" it defines Atheism as
"commonly described as the position that there are no deities.[1] It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[2] A broader meaning is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Atheism is not a "belief" in itself but a way in which to classify "belief," or a lack thereof. For example, LaVeyan Satanism is an atheistic religion, as is Buddhism (save the few sects that claim that the Buddha was/is a divine being) because they both lack a belief in a God.

#38597 - 05/16/10 10:26 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: SubtleSatanist]
Adversary Offline
pledge

I think we can agree Merriam-Webster is a reliable source?
Main Entry: athe·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée Atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
Date: 1546
1 archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Main Entry: 1ag·nos·tic
Pronunciation: \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\
Etymology: Greek agnōstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know — more at know
Date: 1869
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something

— ag·nos·ti·cism \-tə-ˌsi-zəm\ noun

To add to what is stated above, if people cannot use words for their definition, then we are speaking jibberish and there is no hope for communication.

#38599 - 05/16/10 11:37 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: Adversary]
Phobos Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Adversary
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée Atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Main Entry: 1ag·nos·tic
Pronunciation: \ag-ˈnäs-tik, əg-\
Etymology: Greek agnōstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnōstos known, from gignōskein to know — more at know
Date: 1869
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
2 : a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something

— ag·nos·ti·cism \-tə-ˌsi-zəm\ noun

To add to what is stated above, if people cannot use words for their definition, then we are speaking jibberish and there is no hope for communication.

I should have precised my referring to the Dictionnaire de l'Académie française which is, I guess, another reliable source too.

#38601 - 05/16/10 11:42 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: Phobos]
Adversary Offline
pledge

Of course. I suppose it would differ a bit. People often misunderstand what the two are. Thank you for clrifying for me.
#38602 - 05/16/10 11:43 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: Adversary]
DemonicDaddy666 Offline
stranger

Loc: Alabama
Great video, thanks for sharing.
#38615 - 05/16/10 08:39 PM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: SubtleSatanist]
SubtleSatanist Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Adversary

I care more for the content of the definition than I do the source. Normally, I would demand a reliable source for facts, but definitions are not facts, as they are often up for debate. Clearly, this source of definitions has it's prejudices. Anyone who describes Atheism as a doctrine, or wickedness, clearly has no idea what they are talking about and clearly doesn't care. If Atheism is the lack of a belief in God, than I would define agnosticism as either the belief that God's existence is either equiprobable (50/50), (or as withheld belief due to a lack of evidence) or a question beyond our understanding, Temporary Agnostic in Practice (TAP) or Permanent Agnostic in Practice (PAP) respectively. That said, I guess I would say that all agnostics are atheists, and some atheists are agnostics.

#38618 - 05/16/10 09:11 PM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: SubtleSatanist]
Adversary Offline
pledge

Yes, the words uses "on the street" are different than definitions can be. Regarding the reference of Atheism and wickedness was in relation to its archaic use.
#38632 - 05/17/10 06:37 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: SubtleSatanist]
Phobos Offline
pledge

I care more for the content of the definition than I do the source. Normally, I would demand a reliable source for facts, but definitions are not facts, as they are often up for debate. Clearly, this source of definitions has it's prejudices. Anyone who describes atheism as a doctrine, or wickedness, clearly has no idea what they are talking about and clearly doesn't care. If atheism is the lack of a belief in God, than I would define agnosticism as either the belief that God's existence is either equiprobable (50/50), (or as withheld belief due to a lack of evidence) or a question beyond our understanding, Temporary Agnostic in Practice (TAP) or Permanent Agnostic in Practice (PAP) respectively. That said, I guess I would say that all agnostics are atheists, and some atheists are agnostics.

Words do not come from nowhere, they have origins, "roots". You can despise this idea because you are too lazy to learn but you cannot honestly pretend that all things are equivalent.

#38634 - 05/17/10 07:13 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: Phobos]
SubtleSatanist Offline
stranger

Should I even bother replying? Obviously many words only have one definition, but as I stated previously, many are up for debate. For example, your definition of a Christian may differ from a Christian's definition of a Christian. Likewise, your definition of an Atheist may differ from an Atheist's definition of an Atheist. This thread alone is proof of that. Too lazy to learn? That was low.

#49817 - 02/26/11 05:21 AM Re: Open-Mindedness and Critical Thinking [Re: Meq]
ktrapani16 Offline
stranger

since i'm a newbie i clicked on your thread and watched that video but i already knew most of that info accept for the part at 7:25 i didn't know critical thinking was compatible with open mindedness and that it empowers it and i also didn't know that
what u take and don't take into consideration is promoted by science. Thank you so much for indirectly helping me. :] HAIL SATAN!!!!!!

#51795 - 03/27/11 06:22 AM Re: Open-Mindedness? [Re: Nemesis]
SPEEDEMON Offline
stranger

Man I have never seen such an educational video before. I agree with ZephyrGirl, I should make my kids watch this too.
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.