Page 8 of 13 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#46764 - 01/14/11 09:51 AM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Goliath Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
Two other James Ellroy novels have been filmed: Brown's Requiem and The Black Dahlia.

I have seen both of those, and enjoyed them, along with Dark Blue and Street Kings, which were Ellroy's stories--though I thought none of them were in the same league as LA Confidential.

I was really looking forward to Joe Carnahan's adaptation of White Jazz, which was to star George Clooney and Christopher Pine. But we got Star Trek and The A-Team instead. Typical.

Quote:
JE is a hoot. I met him once in San Francisco, and he speaks just like he writes:

I'm envious. I've read all of Ellroy's novels, up to Blood's a Rover. And while I've never met him, I've heard the commentary track he recorded for the recent DVD of The Lineup: that was very entertaining.

#46771 - 01/14/11 01:30 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Goliath]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Goliath
I'm envious. I've read all of Ellroy's novels, up to Blood's a Rover. And while I've never met him, I've heard the commentary track he recorded for the recent DVD of The Lineup: that was very entertaining.

This will give you a pretty good idea.

I've read all his stuff since discovering The Black Dahlia in a St. Louis crime bookstore in the '80s. He later inscribed it "To Michael - Doom drives!"

I'm not as gruntled with his later stuff as with his "L.A. quartet", in which I think he was really in his element, though his romp with the Kennedys in American Tabloid is fun.

The car repo caper at the beginning of BR is typical:

Originally Posted By: James Ellroy, Brown's Requiem
I dropped down into the garage. I expected it to be dark, but the morning sunshine reflecting off the window of the adjacent apartments provided plenty of light. When I spotted CTL 412, the third car from the end, I started to laugh. Cal Myers was going to shit. Leotis McCarver was undoubtedly black, but his car was a full-dress taco wagon: chopped, channeled, lowered, with a candy apple, lime green paint job with orange and yellow flames covering the hood and sweeping halfway back over the sides of the vehicle. Black enamel script over the rear wheel wells announced that this was the "Dragon Wagon". I got out my master key and opened it. The interior was just as esoteric: fuzzy black and white zebra-striped upholstery, pink velveteen dice hanging from the rearview mirror, and a furry orange accelerator pedal in the shape of a naked foot. The customizing must have cost old Leotis a fortune ...

#46862 - 01/15/11 08:16 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
I really dig Ellroy as well and have read all of his stuff.

Have you seen and/or read "My Dark Places" (Feast of Death on DVD)?

That one goes into a lot of depth about he psychologically linked his mother's murder to the Dahlia murder via Jack Webb's "The Badge".

He's got a new series coming out next week called James Ellroy's LA: City of Demons. I haven't been excited for a series in many moons... this one looks to have a lot of promise.

So Doc, I have to ask, was he familiar with your work? \:\)

#46871 - 01/16/11 12:22 AM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Fnord
Have you seen and/or read "My Dark Places" (Feast of Death on DVD)?

Read MDP and saw FOD when it first aired on television. A bit pricey for a DVD right now. It reminds me that we both share a fondness for the Pacific Dining Car.

Quote:
He's got a new series coming out next week called James Ellroy's LA: City of Demons. I haven't been excited for a series in many moons... this one looks to have a lot of promise.

"Season pass."

Quote:
So Doc, I have to ask, was he familiar with your work? \:\)

Not that I know, but then we chase different daemons. ;\)

#48146 - 02/05/11 06:56 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Wolf Larsen]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Let me break-up the monotony of this thread:

Taking it all in all, enjoying movies are a matter of personal experience. No amount of reading, no amount of teaching, no amount of contemplation will ever make one enjoy a movie. Movies must be grasped in the midst of its flow, and to stop it for examination and analysis is to kill it leaving it as a 'cold corpse.'

Everything in the movie is so arranged as to bring about ideas to most efficient prominence. The unique position maintained by actors and actresses among others associated with the film is no doubt due to the institution known as the 'guild.'

Ciao

#48186 - 02/06/11 06:59 AM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: paolo sette]
Daafje666 Offline
pledge

Loc: The Netherlands
Maybe it would be a start if everyone who posts here, not only tells what their top 5 is, but also WHY it's their top 5. So that way it has more chance of becoming a real conversation.

#48392 - 02/08/11 02:49 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Daafje666]
myk5 Offline

My favorite movies...

in no particular order, as they come to mind....

Zatoichi (any of the original series, great martial arts, great storytelling, great acting)
Delicatessen (fantastic black humor, lots of fun)
Resident Evil (I consider the first movie a work of art, perhaps because I never played the game and so had no differences to distract me [the only movie to keep me pinned to the edge of my seat and keep me there])
The Ninth Gate (Roman Polanski's action movie about book dealing and Satanism - perhaps the only movie of such a genre to appeal to me)
Office Space (Deserves its cult classic status, very funny and insightful)
Desperate Living (my fave of early John Waters, terrible acting, low budget, but so raw, funny and transgressive it's great fun)
Night of the Living Dead (a GREAT movie, the first one, every time I see it again, I'm struck by how good the acting, directing and storytelling is).

Edited by myk5 (02/08/11 02:54 PM)

#48542 - 02/10/11 05:07 AM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Nightmare]
Hugoroth Offline
lurker

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Toxic Avenger, Childs play, night of the living dead, oliver stone's the doors, devils rejects
#52151 - 04/03/11 10:55 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Saligia]
hallowgrave Offline
lurker

See no evil hear no evil

28 weeks later

Dawn of the Dead (1962)

Arthur (1978)

Pan's Labyrinth

#52153 - 04/03/11 10:59 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: hallowgrave]
Hegesias Offline

See no evil hear no evil! yes! and Stir Crazy! Richard Pryor!

Richard Pryor Is the G.o.a.t! (Greatest Of All Time) I put him parallel with Bill Hicks aka Goatboy.

Favourite Movies off the top of my head including the above two.

The Shining
Old Boy
Leon
Angela's Ashes
Dead Man's Shoes
Braveheart
Silence of the Lambs
Evil Dead 2
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Freddy Got Fingered
Valhalla Rising

Oh that's too many, oh well I like comedies because they make me laugh and I like movies that have a small cast / few characters with focus on character development rather than special effects.

#52156 - 04/03/11 11:40 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Hegesias]
Shea Offline

Loc: Chicago
My top five are:

1.) Fight Club => Fincher boldly changed Palahniuk's ending, and improved upon one of the most powerfully written modern works of popular fiction.

2.) Event Horizon => The morally ambiguous ending, as well as the disturbing atmosphere made this film particularly compelling.

3.) Hellraiser => "Angels to some; demons to others," indeed. I watched this when I was a wee child, and began to question the very nature of Good and Evil as a result.

4.) Escape from New York => Carpenter and Russell were both in top form for this film, and it's equal schlock and badass-ery made this a classic for me.

5.) Cube => A film that catches the best of misanthropy, while describing the fragile nature of the social contract. Great stuff.

#52157 - 04/03/11 11:46 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Shea]
Hegesias Offline

"Cube" I saw on that shitty horror channel years ago at around 3am in the morning and I loved it.

Event Horizon I was going to list but I prefer comedies these days. I like Event Horizon so much for the brief Chaos dimension scene that stuck with me through the movie and set the tone, I wished there were more in the movie that showed the Chaos dimension, I guess it was a subliminal thing really that was meant to be left to the imagination.

#52159 - 04/04/11 12:17 AM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Hegesias]
Vasiya Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago
Seems like a perfect topic for me to weigh in on; here we go:

I. Hellraiser-Clive Barker is one of the great minds of horror in our time. He channels the extra-dimensional quality of Lovecraft in this film.
II. Pulp Fiction-Tarrantino fucking hit the mark with this flick. About the only time I found Travolta to be bearable.
III. Death Note-Technically, this is a television series, but I'm a rebel and I own the entire series on DVD; making it in essence, a movie. Smart writing, with a great story.
IV. Cast Away-Showing Zemeckis excells at more than special effects; Hanks is haunting as a man divorced physically, and in the end, psychologically from humanity.
V. Fight Club-I'm Jack's Great Appreciation of Norton's acting. Brad Pitt is over the top and perfect, but Norton steals the show regardless.

#52162 - 04/04/11 01:19 AM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Vasiya]
Hegesias Offline

Castaway, I love that scene where he throws the spear into the far away fish from a far away rock, he is just standing there like an ultimate caveman who has mastered nature, I laughed so hard and nobody else in the room was laughing. You can tell that time has passed in such a way and that he's no longer a pussy. I forget what movies I like because I haven't had a TV for so many years.

Pulp fiction is still in my top favourites and I can watch scenes repeatedly and do impressions with my bro. I'm quite mad you know, it's true, I like to be silly contrary to popular belief.

I can't have a top 5 because somebody will remind me of other great ones and I'll want to add them too.

#52221 - 04/05/11 03:57 PM Re: Top 5 movies [Re: Hegesias]
RedAnthrax Offline
lurker

Loc: United States
1) Braveheart
2) Gladiator
3) Saving Private Ryan
4) The Anarchist Cookbook
5) SLC Punk

Page 8 of 13 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.