Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#25662 - 06/15/09 09:47 AM Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern horror?
Hyperborean Offline
stranger

Loc: Kansas
Or is he merely playing to the public? This has bothered me ever since he said that he wants his music to represent sporting event superstars (e.g. professional wrestling's star The Edge). I really enjoyed House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects, and his Halloween remake but I can't help but feel as though he is sacrificing his cinematic and artistic roots in order to appeal to a larger, ticket buying community. At what point should an artist give up on a masterpiece in order to pad his bankroll?
#25671 - 06/15/09 07:13 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern horror? [Re: Hyperborean]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
I'm a big fan of Rob Zombie. I love his music more than his films but I still think he's pretty gifted when it comes to cinema.
I really liked the original Halloween and so I had pretty low expectations of the re-make.However, I think Zombie did a fantastic job of bringing Michael back to our screens. In fact (and some people would crucify me for saying this) I actually prefer the re-make. I loved the exploration of Michael's childhood and his time in the asylum, in a lot of ways I thought the child was far more sinister than the adult, mainly due to the utter coldness of his eyes and his sudden transitions from calm and calculating to psychotic rage. The film did appeal to a wide audience, but I think this is mainly due to the fact that there are so many different reasons to see it. The die hard slasher fans want to see Michael on the big screen again. The drunken teens want the jumpy scenes so that they can "protect" one another. The cinema snobs (such as myself) want the psychology behind Michael.
House of 1000 corpses seems to be a bit of an acquired taste and I find that a lot of people simply don't get the humour. This film appeals only to those who are somewhat sadistic but are after some light entertainment. I consider House of 1000 corpses to be a feel good film and will watch it whenever I feel down. The line "give your daddy some sugar" never fails to make me smirk.
The Devil's Rejects is, in my opinion, Zombie's weakest film. Oddly enough it probably appealed to a pretty wide audience being a slasher film. It's not that I don't like the film, it's just that slashers are something I have to be in the mood for. Also it seemed that zombie didn't provide the same TLC to The Devil's rejects as he did with his other films, it kind of felt a little "flat".

As for him providing opening songs for wrestlers, I think it's a good idea. I don't follow wrestling myself, but I do know that a massive amount of a wrestler's crowd appeal comes from his opening and let's face it, nothing gets testosterone pumping like Dragula (well... almost nothing ;\) ). I don't think of it as selling out so much as broadening his horizons. Hopefully he'll bring out another horror movie too.

I have a lot of respect for Zombie as he's basically living the ultimate male fantasy. He's a rock star/film director/comic book writer who's married to a stunning blonde cowgirl and he's hard as nails to top it all off.

#25680 - 06/15/09 09:23 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern horror? [Re: Saligia]
Azza Offline
stranger

Loc: New Zealand
i think he has given a good boost to the genre.
he just wanted to keep with the tradition of the classics and i feel that he did Halloween justice. to be honest i enjoyed his one better.
its the same with music, just because a band, artist or whatever becomes famous and well known isn't a bad thing like selling out or anything like that. don't most of us sellout by having shitty jobs just to live?
as for the devils rejects being his weakest film, it was his first major go at doing something like that(i think). i think he even said that in a special features somewhere.
in all i think he is a gem in all of the shitty horror writers

#25688 - 06/16/09 12:01 AM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Hyperborean]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Rob Zombie has no talent whatsoever that I can see. House of 1000 corpses was about as complex a plotline as The Three Billy Goats Gruff. If you take away the annoying camera/editing tricks and the over the top soundtrack, it was the biggest waste of film I've seen in a long time (hell, even if you don't take that stuff away). My great-grandmother has more acting skills (and she's been dead for 21 years) than all of the characters put together.

White Zombie was a kickass band, I'll give them that, but Rob Zombie by himself is a no-talent hack. He tries to rely on a piecemeal gimmick more than talent to sell his product. I spit on his ego.

Edited by ceruleansteel (06/16/09 12:04 AM)
Edit Reason: I don't need a fuckin' reason!!!

#25694 - 06/16/09 06:39 AM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: ceruleansteel]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: ceruleansteel
White Zombie was a kickass band, I'll give them that, but Rob Zombie by himself is a no-talent hack. He tries to rely on a piecemeal gimmick more than talent to sell his product. I spit on his ego.

Yeah, what she said.

While the re-make of Halloween was pretty good, House of 1000 Corpses really just seemed like a lame rip-off of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Devils Rejects was better than its predecessor, but was just a continuation of the aforementioned rip-off. I would like to see him attempt something more original.

#25704 - 06/16/09 04:00 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Hyperborean Offline
stranger

Loc: Kansas
I concur. It is a pity that his best film was a remake, thus taking the challenge of original creation out of his hands. I would like to see him make something a bit more disturbing, like "Last House on the Left", a film that doesn't need acid-tripping-uber-color style cinematics or an epic soundtrack to keep the sadistic mind entertained.
#26524 - 07/01/09 07:45 AM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Hyperborean]
Jester Offline
pledge

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I only liked some of the Halloween remake, mainly the parts with Michael in the hospital. After that it becomes pretty generic. I love gore, don't get me wrong but it just becomes very robotic after you Michael all grown up. I love the original so much and will always prefer it.

It's one thing to pay homage to the classics but you can't re-create a classic, you have to do something new and original (or at least try). I love horror but modern horror hasn't been doing anything for me (with some exceptions). All the remakes are really pissing me off too. Leave them alone, they were made in a different era, some still translate well to modern day (some don't) but just leave the classics alone, for the love of artistic integrity.

#26560 - 07/01/09 11:13 AM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Jester]
Satans Scrotum Offline
stranger

I like Zombie's movies, but keep in mind, I like trash, low budget, no budget. Any kind of cheapo 70's exploitation movie will satisfy me.
#26622 - 07/02/09 12:10 AM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Satans Scrotum]
Jester Offline
pledge

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I like low budget exploitation movies from the 60's and 70's as well...which is why I'm not keen on Zombies films (The Devil's Rejects was ok). It's not the 70's anymore though and when people try to make films with the same feel they fail because like I said, it's not the 70's anymore. I love old movies, but I think film needs to look forward not backwards. That doesn't mean more CGI (so sick of CGI).

When it comes to older low budget films they had to be creative when it came to designing sets and special effects and the like. Nowadays they just CGI everything. Some of it looks decent, but some of it looks god awful. Not to say that film makers shouldn't use CGI, after all look at Planet Terror, they filmed it in digital and added the grainy picture in post production. It was actually pretty effective in my opinion.

#29095 - 08/31/09 11:20 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Jester]
Volvagia Offline
stranger

Slasher flicks are not that scary to me. I find more horror in foreign films than America. Asian horror is unlike anything I've ever seen. Even in video games like Silent Hill 1-4 where they try to be American and take from films like Jacob's ladder (which is a good movie btw and not based in violence.) they make scary films. Perhaps, its because I favor psychological horror, something that mentally stimulates me, over hack and slash films. People don't realize that the root of fear is the unknown.

That being said, I appreciate Rob's works and I like some of them. However, I can't help but feel that he seems to have horror set one way. The same American stereotype. Sigh.

Edited by Volvagia (08/31/09 11:22 PM)

#29212 - 09/03/09 12:22 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Volvagia]
Zorg Offline
stranger

Loc: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
 Originally Posted By: Volvagia
Slasher flicks are not that scary to me. I find more horror in foreign films than America. Asian horror is unlike anything I've ever seen.

I share that particular sentiment. I have skads of horror movies in my collection. (Yes..."skads" is a word. It is from the latin "skadis" and means "more than a sane person would own".)

While I have spent much time viewing low budget films (Z movies), slasher flicks and gore movies, I would be lying if I said I do not sometimes find myself bored. The inclusion of Asian horror has been my horror B12. I especially enjoyed "The Eye" and "Audition". Though I suspect, if I get to the point where I have viewed as much Asian horror as I have American and European, I may become equally jaded to it.

As per the topic...I confess that I am a Rob Zombie fan. I have some of his CD's, have seen him in concert once (in NY) and own 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects. I am a 70's kid, so I really enjoyed Devil's Rejects in the same way I enjoyed the Grindhouse double feature. Rejects is one of the few films I saw twice in the theater.

I did see Halloween. I have elected not to purchase it. I have not yet seen Halloween 2, and may not. Personally, I do not think it added anything to the genre. Another problem I had was that he had basically the same crew playing basically the same characters, with different names. I DID enjoy seeing Sheri Moon's ass...but I can see that on the internet.

I remain a fan...but I tend not to be a mindless fan of anything. I also think many entertainers have a shelf life. Has Rob reached his? I certainly hope not.

"Plato was a bore."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#29218 - 09/03/09 06:12 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Zorg]
Azathoth68 Offline
pledge

Loc: Denver, CO USA
 Quote:
Slasher flicks are not that scary to me

Much malign has been attributed to remakes of classic horror flicks. It seems like Hollywood has difficulty coming up with anything other that regurgitated remakes, or unoriginal re-imaginings of what might sell to their 'favored' demographic. I'd like to see them try to remake this. BTW, those are actual animals being slaughtered, before the ASPCA even began to monitor proper treatment of animals on celluloid. If you have the guts, try watching the unrated version. If it was banned in 14 countries, how can you lose? Bon Appetit!

Edited by Azathoth68 (09/03/09 06:14 PM)

#29233 - 09/03/09 10:28 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Azathoth68]
Volvagia Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Azathoth68
 Quote:
Slasher flicks are not that scary to me

Much malign has been attributed to remakes of classic horror flicks. It seems like Hollywood has difficulty coming up with anything other that regurgitated remakes, or unoriginal re-imaginings of what might sell to their 'favored' demographic. I'd like to see them try to remake this. BTW, those are actual animals being slaughtered, before the ASPCA even began to monitor proper treatment of animals on celluloid. If you have the guts, try watching the unrated version. If it was banned in 14 countries, how can you lose? Bon Appetit!

You know I used to have a avatar from this movie and I've read all about it. I have yet to actually watch this film though. I see mixed reviews. Some people think it tries to be so shocking that it becomes very cheesy with what I heard to be is very bad acting. Others think its a great movie and lives up to its goal. (I don't care that a monkey or two was slaughtered for shock value in it. I'm not that sensitive.)

I think the icing on the cake in this film's controversy was when one country banned it because they actually believed it to be a legit snuff film and that the woman who was impaled in the movie was really impaled that way. My friend told me it was a naked chick on a bicycle in that scene in reality. I laughed.

Edited by Volvagia (09/03/09 10:30 PM)

#29234 - 09/03/09 10:37 PM Re: Rob Zombie: Harbinger of modern fagdom? [Re: Volvagia]
Ankhhape Offline
Banned
pledge

I think I read through all the posts but seem to have missed the 'modern fagdom' part.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 1.205 seconds of which 1.179 seconds were spent on 27 queries. Zlib compression disabled.