Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#25954 - 06/22/09 04:24 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Morgan]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
 Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl
I know for a fact people thought of things they didn't write in my dying thread for fear of offending me.

Actually that is wrong, I mean out of respect that they might offend me, not fear that they might. Thought I'd correct that word as it does change the meaning completely.

Other than that, well TC, the reason that we are not at each others throats is because I have grown in the last year. I never said I liked you any more or less, but I have become less confrontational within myself. Can see how emotionally I used to evaluate the boards and made the changes I feel I needed to make to continue to grow and learn from here. It's actually nothing to do with you. *wink*

But you are still taking everything so personaly that I think very little has changed on your end. Whether it is because of your autism, or because you are alot more emotional than you would like to be is a moot point.

No one jumped on any bandwagons, least of all Morgan. You have actually been hand fed a lesson. Wonder if you even get that yet?

ZephyrGirl

#25956 - 06/22/09 06:39 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Azza]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

What offends me most...
direct hypocrisy, abuse, obvious stupidity, back-stabbing and dishonour.
Most of the times when offended I deal swiftly and hard with the person/source.

#25958 - 06/22/09 07:43 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Azza]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I get offended when people invade my personal space in public, a prime example being when I'm waiting in a queue somewhere,and there is a stranger standing about two inches away from me, enveloping me in their unfamiliar body odour and stenchy breath.

Spitting in public is another pet peeve of mine, as is being blanketed lightly in an over-enthusiastic story teller's saliva,(Say it, don't spray it!)

Random people coming over for a prolonged visit without a prior phone call is offensive to me, especially when I've had a busy day...

Blatant displays of stupidity,deliberately enforced ignorance on a grand scale and sadistic attacks on innocents who don't know any better or are too weak to fight back I find extremely offensive - child abuse/molestation, and the torture of animals being prime examples of the innocents I mentioned above.

Anyone who condones or excuses abusing kids, sexually or otherwise are the type of vermin that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire - this is something I find to be a prime example of "What offends me the most"

Edited by spiderbreeder (06/22/09 07:47 AM)

#25961 - 06/22/09 08:44 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: spiderbreeder]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
I tend not to be offended easily by anything that doesn't affect me personally. There's always exceptions to this though and one of the things that really sickens me is when people try to be light hearted about topics such as the Columbine Shootings or the murder of Sophie Lancaster. It's not the fact that people are being light hearted about murder as a generic topic that offends me (I have a relatively sick sense of humour anyway), it's the fact that they're making fun of ACTUAL murders and invariably mocking the people who were slain and everybody else who had been destroyed by their deaths.
Joke's about Sophie Lancaster's murder in particular make me angry, since I have lived all my life amongst "chav" culture and I think that the murder of this girl shows the extreme violence and abuse these people show to others for nothing more than dress sense or music taste. If you don't know about the murder, information is available on Wikipedia. I wouldn't normally recommend Wikipedia as a source of information, but this article seems pretty accurate.

Tornadocreator: I honestly tried to understand your views on rape and child abuse, but I really can't get my head round it. As others have rightly said, this kind of event affects people in different ways and it almost always leaves some serious mental scars. Sexual abuse of anybody can cause serious emotional problems (Chronic Depression, PTSD and Manic Depression being some of the most common) that will often remain with a person for a significant portion of their life, for these reasons I'd be inclined to consider sexual abuse to be a form of torture and most definitely a "big deal".

#25963 - 06/22/09 09:09 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Saligia]
Scarlett156 Offline
pledge

Loc: rural Eastern Colorado (USA)
*thinks hard*

I can't think of anything that really offends me. Whatever happens in my environment that does not directly affect me I can just laugh at or ignore; whatever happens right in my face provides a challenge, and keeps me from getting bored. (Hm, that sorta rhymes.)

The last time another person attempted to give direct offense to me, it was a drunk biker dude in a bar where I was hanging out. He was calling me names, etc. (He was blaming me because a friend of his got into a wreck--long story.) Anyway, he definitely WANTED to offend/scare me.

I enjoyed it though, because it gave me an opportunity for revenge. A friend of mine and I went to his house the next day and poured paint stripper all over his bike. Good times!

Taking offense to events on one's periphery in my opinion is a waste of energy. Taking offense to events that potentially directly affect one is also a waste of energy, as one's outrage at the offense will often delay formulation of a strategy.

~~~ yours in Chaos, Scarlett

#25964 - 06/22/09 09:24 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Scarlett156]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

This:
 Quote:
I enjoyed it though, because it gave me an opportunity for revenge. A friend of mine and I went to his house the next day and poured paint stripper all over his bike. Good times!

is in direct opposition to
 Quote:
I can't think of anything that really offends me.

Saying you want to get "revenge" implies you have been offended and want to take the person back..

#25968 - 06/22/09 11:18 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Saligia]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
 Originally Posted By: Saligia
Tornadocreator: I honestly tried to understand your views on rape and child abuse, but I really can't get my head round it. As others have rightly said, this kind of event affects people in different ways and it almost always leaves some serious mental scars. Sexual abuse of anybody can cause serious emotional problems (Chronic Depression, PTSD and Manic Depression being some of the most common) that will often remain with a person for a significant portion of their life, for these reasons I'd be inclined to consider sexual abuse to be a form of torture and most definitely a "big deal".

I can see your point, if it has such definite mental effects fine. Perhaps my view has been altered by the event and the apparent trauma I may have experienced itself giving me such a view, but I can't see it myself. I see it as an event in my life, it happened and it made me who I am. It toughened my skin as it where. I know a few others who have spoken to me about it happening to them an it's helped them come to terms with it and move on. They agree with me that it's not a big deal, it's a bad event but once you accept it and move on it's over, it can't hurt you any more. Maybe I just don't take on the effects of mental trauma. Saying that, for someone who can't move on I can see why it would be torture, but I stand by my original statement, someone who can't move on must be someone with a weak personality and a low sense of willpower.

#25980 - 06/22/09 06:11 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: TornadoCreator]
Mike Offline

Loc: Farmingdale, NY
You don't have to come out and say "there's nothing wrong with child molestation" to defend it. "Child molestation isn't that big of a deal"? I would imagine being the victim of rape period is tramautizing enough, but to a small child who's mind is still developing? It would do more psychological damage to a child than it would an adult. That's why it offends and enrages most people. Are you that much of a prick that you're going to stand by what you said and not admit you were just being an asshole?

Or maybe you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

#25981 - 06/22/09 06:16 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: TornadoCreator]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
I would have to say the thing that offends me the most (like already brought up) would be the crimes commited against children.

But aside from these crimes I would say it is a pet peeve that gets me the most, and that would have to be ignorant/stupid people who act like they know everything about everything and when brought up with a logical arguement to why they are wrong they get defensive and refuse to look at logic and reason. So I guess it would be peoples narrow mindedness.

#25982 - 06/22/09 06:20 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Morgan]
Emily Offline
stranger

Loc: north wales, U.K
i've learned to deal with most of the stuff that annoys me.

what really gets to me is when someone is shouting abuse at you who happens to be black or in a wheelchair ect. and then you say something to them and they start calling you racsist and so on and so forth for sticking up for yourself!

Also people who get animals and then not look after them. i have always wanted a dog and there is this guy next door to me who has had 3 dogs, and he hasnt looked after any of them. And the same goes to people who have children, but i guess theres alot of pressure in not having a abortion.

And rape!!!

#25989 - 06/22/09 08:00 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Mike]
TornadoCreator Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike
You don't have to come out and say "there's nothing wrong with child molestation" to defend it. "Child molestation isn't that big of a deal"? I would imagine being the victim of rape period is tramautizing enough, but to a small child who's mind is still developing? It would do more psychological damage to a child than it would an adult. That's why it offends and enrages most people. Are you that much of a prick that you're going to stand by what you said and not admit you were just being an asshole?

Or maybe you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

You're making a lot of assumptions there.

First of all, you are assuming calling something "no big deal" is defending it. If I say a broken arm is "no big deal" it's because I don't consider it something to worry about, it will heal and everything will be fine. That doesn't mean it's good. I've broken my arm, it fucking hurts. I don't want to do it, it is still however no big deal. That doesn't mean I'm advocating going out and breaking peoples arms for the jollies. You're twisting things because you want to be angry at me because your enraged at my opinion. It's much easier to be angry at me if my argument is unreasonable, the thing is it's not. Badly put across, inconsiderate of peoples emotional responses and without finesse, sure, but unreasonable no.

Secondly, you're assuming rape itself is inherently traumatising and will leave an permanent mental scar. It's not. It may well leave some people traumatised, but so could a particularly violent beating or watching one of your parents die suddenly and having no way of saving them. These things happen. Life isn't always a bed of roses, but you deal with things and you move on.

Third, you assume that it's more traumatising for a child than an adult. I disagree. Obviously I can only judge based on my self, but I would assess that being raped at my current age would be something I would have extreme difficulty dealing with, as a child however, looking back I am able to understand how it happened, forgive myself for it happening, rationalise why I couldn't stop it etc. Perhaps it's just a matter of "time heals everything" but I still think children are less fragile than people make out. Rape however is still nasty, I just don't think child molestation is WORSE than raping an adult, this is the ONLY claim I'm making.

Forth, you and everyone else is failing to notice my complaint is less about child abuse of any kind and more about popular response and media spin. The media treat child abuse as the worst crime ever and people go along with it. They can put mass murderers in a standard prison and he'll be relatively safe, but put a child molester in that same prison and he'll be attacked by people who consider him more evil than themselves, even other rapists, even though they're all criminals. Now surely people can see what my original complaint was.

And lastly, you're assuming we need to reach a consensus or compromise. We don't, this is asking opinion. We could just agree to disagree.

I said I would reassess what I think. I have. All I have concluded is my point was badly explained. I also concluded that the people arguing against me are over-emotional and quick to carry on the arguments with ad hominem en nauseum. Calling me a prick or an asshole won't change the argument. Don't like my opinion, tuff shit, I may not like yours either, deal with it. That's the nature of debate. I'm not trying to insult people, I'm not trying to intimidate or provoke anyone, and I'm not trying to force my opinion on you, it is after all just an opinion. I am however going to speak my mind and I won't be bullied out of my views. If you don't want extreme opinions don't read a topic that is asking specifically for opinions on topics that will be delicate in nature.

The only thing I'm grateful for is I'm not on the average forum, the way you guys reacted I'd have had bloody death threats on the average general discussion forum, and I'd probably have been banned, just for voicing an opinion.

Now, if anyone wants to discuss my views, come up with a counter argument, ask questions and discuss/debate the issue properly I welcome it, but if it's going to be more insults and claims that I'm "defending child molestation" I'd take it as a kindness if people didn't bother to reply.

#25990 - 06/22/09 08:05 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Emily]
TornadoCreator Offline

Originally Posted By: Emily
i've learned to deal with most of the stuff that annoys me.

what really gets to me is when someone is shouting abuse at you who happens to be black or in a wheelchair ect. and then you say something to them and they start calling you racsist and so on and so forth for sticking up for yourself!

I can't stand that, so often to people claim racist, sexist, homophobia (when they really mean hetrosexism but it doesn't matter). It seems as though the only people that can be critically observed in society now are white straight middle-class men. It's political correctness gone mad, couldn't agree with you more Emily.

#25993 - 06/22/09 08:56 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: TornadoCreator]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Meh. The very fact that you chose child molestation so single out as something that bothers you when people take seriously is very telling, and very creepy. The fact that you continue to defend that position is even more creepy.

Just give it up, dude.

#25995 - 06/22/09 09:15 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Dan_Dread]
TornadoCreator Offline

I didn't choose the subject matter, it just came up. If you really find my position so creepy maybe you need to look a little inward and wonder why.

#25998 - 06/22/09 09:23 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: TornadoCreator]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
It didn't come up. Zeph mentioned that child molesting pisses her off (as it does most people), and you come rolling in defending it with a 3000 word tirade. You think I need to look inward because child molesting, and it's advocates creep me out?

Seriously dude, there is something wrong with you. Go get a job.

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.056 seconds of which 0.029 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.