Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#26160 - 06/24/09 10:40 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: TornadoCreator]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Of course we are outraged. We are people first and Satanists second. Most people would agree that your statements are outrageous.

Not to mention the whole "do not harm children" rule. Which is so much a rule as just common courtesy. Anyone who would try to defend or down play any kind of harming a child, be it sexual or otherwise, I will hold absolute contempt for that person.

I don't care how many people have been able to see where you were coming from. I wouldn't give a shit if LaVey himself rose from the fucking grave just to say that it is now ok to harm kids and fall over dead again; I would still see your opinion as bullshit.

Clearly you are bit fucked up because you clearly don't get it. Clearly.

#26161 - 06/24/09 10:43 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: TornadoCreator]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Of course you'd get less shit from "religious people"

That bunch have spawned some of the most prolific rock-spiders known to society.

You think your stance on this is perfectly reasonable, and anyone who doesn't "think" like you on this one is just "a bit fucked up, because they clearly don't get it"

Well, just let it go then tc, because if you take the time to read back over this thread, anyone with half a brain would come to the conclusion that nobody contributing to this is going meet with you half way on this.

Oh yeah, and that's "Ms Fucking Satanist" to you...

#26168 - 06/24/09 11:53 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
 Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
Of course we are outraged. We are people first and Satanists second. Most people would agree that your statements are outrageous.

Not to mention the whole "do not harm children" rule. Which is so much a rule as just common courtesy. Anyone who would try to defend or down play any kind of harming a child, be it sexual or otherwise, I will hold absolute contempt for that person.

I don't care how many people have been able to see where you were coming from. I wouldn't give a shit if LaVey himself rose from the fucking grave just to say that it is now ok to harm kids and fall over dead again; I would still see your opinion as bullshit.

Clearly you are bit fucked up because you clearly don't get it. Clearly.

You don't even know what my opinion is, you're too busy being angry. It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. I would be willing to bet money that you couldn't accurately describe my position on this argument... 5p sound good to you?

#26169 - 06/24/09 11:59 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: TornadoCreator]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

So far I have gathered that your opinions is that "it is not a big deal" and "only a weak willed person would allow it to affect them".

I want my winnings by the close of the next business day.

#26170 - 06/25/09 12:15 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
hellbent666
Unregistered

your avatar cracks me up dude! It's like Richard Charlie Ramirez Manson! Except Richard has it tatted on his palm.
#26221 - 06/25/09 08:54 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: ]
Jester Offline
pledge

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I am normally easy going. Racist jokes, sexist jokes, gay jokes, nothing really bothers me. My problem is with people who have a problem with subversive humour. Honestly, most of these "hot button" jokes are made simply to get a rise out of people. One needs to be smart enough to realize that, it's only a joke. It's people that get offended by the jokes that, well, don't necessarily offend me, but cause me to shake my head and go tsk tsk.

#26414 - 06/29/09 04:56 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:

Mind you that there is no "we" and you should speak to yourself since I don't really fucking care about his opinion in regards to child abuse. It's a taboo, I agree with that, but as far as I know NONE of you was in the situation TC was. The only mistake he made is by generalizing it. Your fault was to bring in own subjective feelings. Playing both sides against each other is endless and hopeless. Fuck it.. really fuck it...
As long as the abuse isn't taking place with relations with me I don't care.

Does it mean I can't judge the act? No, I can; but the punishment to the abuser is best chosen by those who are in direct relation to the victim. I simply refuse as an outsider to give a "proper" punishment to the abuser. (With which I mean the victim get's it payback..). There is a difference between "judging" and "judgement in personal envolvement". And the best kind of judgement is the latter one (but that's just my opinion...)

Edited by Dimitri (06/29/09 05:12 AM)

#27473 - 07/25/09 01:22 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Meq Offline
Banned

Disclaimer: This post is in no way intended to condone, promote, sanction or endorse the sexual abuse of children.

Not in anyway meaning to pour fuel over this still-smouldering heap, but a similar furor on a much larger scale ensued in the scientific community when Rind et al. published a meta-analysis in 1998 calling into question "assumed properties of child sexual abuse".
Wikipedia article

In what was a sad day for rational enquiry, this study was latched upon by the vilified NAMBLA as allegedly providing support for their views, and provoked an explosive political backlash leading to the original study being condemned by the US Congress. It was a notable, perhaps even unique example of political intrusion into scientific enquiry.

One article critical of the original study called for, and I quote, "scientific terminology that reflects rather than contradicts consensual [i.e. majority] public morality."
Sorry, but I do not consider that good scientific practice even in the social sciences - although, to borrow a controversial phrase, it's a prime example of 'houseniggery' hard at work.

The original study was of course by no means conclusive, from a scientific point of view more research is very much needed. Due to political and societal pressures however, researchers are unlikely to continue this line of enquiry without fearing for their lives.

Meq

#27476 - 07/25/09 02:03 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Meq]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Sexual molestation is bad. Very bad. Most of us agree.

However, I do believe that lasting physical maiming is worse. With the first one, a person has a chance of dealing with, and in time getting over. Not so with being maimed.

I was never sexually, or physically abused, but was psychologically (verbally) beaten down by a piece of shit step father, on a daily basis, from the age of 8, until the age of 13. At which time, he did me a great favor, and suddenly and without warning, dropped dead.
For some reason, I seem to have had a very good, and natural coping mechanism, for negative situations back then. Since he never laid a hand on me, but only verbally abused me, I was able to, in time, tune him out, as if he wasn’t even there.

It was a grand ‘ol time, for a few years back then. Picked on and harassed by kids in school, and constantly called such things as a “No good, rotten piece of shit kid,” at home. (He only did that while my mother wasn’t around, and I never told her..not even to this day...in order to protect her).

In my case, the old saying that “What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger,” is a true one. I believe that all the negative shit of those early years, made me a much stronger person, psychologically, then the average person. The only lasting negative side affects, is occasionally a bit of a sad feeling, when I see happy and innocent kids. Although, I’m glad to see that they are happy, I resent that I did not have that when I was their age.

I don’t know. Maybe I was more deeply affected, then I am aware. Although I really don’t think so.

But you know what. Fuck it. We all have some burdens in life, some are inconvenient, and some are down right horrible. The main thing is to be able to let go of all the shit baggage, when that baggage is no longer around.

I do believe that at times, victims of abuse (of any kind) hold on to the negativity for much longer then they truly need to. Sometimes they might get addicted to the attention they get, and perhaps other times, they feel that they are punishing the world for what happened to them, by being miserable, without realizing it that even after the abuser is long out of the picture, they are still allowing themselves to be abused. However, often the only one still abusing them, is themselves.

#27523 - 07/26/09 07:44 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Asmedious]
Meq Offline
Banned

For further discussion on the controversial Rind et al. study, I would recommend the following article:
Politically Incorrect - Scientifically Correct

To me this confirms an observation I've long had: Truth is often socially unacceptable.

And yet far from promoting harm to children (as many condemning such studies rashly assume), rationally reassessing the issue can help survivors or abuse (not 'victims', a disempowering label this article has a point criticising) by suggesting what psychological interventions are likely to be helpful and in what cases, and which are likely to lead to further harm (which has undoubtedly been the case for many abuse survivors).

If a person reports few negative emotional consequences after being molested as a child, to assume they must be in denial and repressing real harm, and forcing them to undergo psychoanalysis to revisit the event in a negative light, is likely to do more harm than good.

Quote:
I do believe that at times, victims of abuse (of any kind) hold on to the negativity for much longer then they truly need to. Sometimes they might get addicted to the attention they get, and perhaps other times, they feel that they are punishing the world for what happened to them, by being miserable, without realizing it that even after the abuser is long out of the picture, they are still allowing themselves to be abused. However, often the only one still abusing them, is themselves.

While some may display more personal resilience than others, for many their past traumas turn out to be a festering wound and they cling to a "victim" mentality for long after is necessary or helpful, constantly mentally reliving the experiences and retraumatizing themselves many years after the original event.

Such individuals are in my view not necessarily "weak" but rather in need of cognitive restructuring, whether by CBT (Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy) or other methods, to keep their past demons from continually haunting them in the present. That can only be done by working with thoughts and emotions present in the here and now. The past is gone; the locus of control is in the present.

Others do not fall into this trap of keeping the trauma alive, but take the proactive approach and see themselves as a survivor, allowing their psychological wounds to in time become at most a fading blemish. "I was a victim" is very different to "I am a victim".

#72390 - 11/02/12 06:15 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Meq]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I'm aware of opening a can of worms by trying to revitalize this topic. Years have passed and things (personalities) have changed so perhaps it's time to give it another go.

Originally Posted By: meq
While some may display more personal resilience than others, for many their past traumas turn out to be a festering wound and they cling to a "victim" mentality for long after is necessary or helpful, constantly mentally reliving the experiences and retraumatizing themselves many years after the original event.

Such individuals are in my view not necessarily "weak" but rather in need of cognitive restructuring, whether by CBT (Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy) or other methods, to keep their past demons from continually haunting them in the present. That can only be done by working with thoughts and emotions present in the here and now. The past is gone; the locus of control is in the present.

Others do not fall into this trap of keeping the trauma alive, but take the proactive approach and see themselves as a survivor, allowing their psychological wounds to in time become at most a fading blemish. "I was a victim" is very different to "I am a victim".

And go..

#72392 - 11/02/12 07:10 AM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Dimitri]
Gattamelata Offline
stranger

Meq hits the nail.

The human psyche is often far more resilient and capable of overcoming than is often assumed when one looks thru the lenses of the trauma-victim psychological cult that passes of as 'therapy' in many cases.

I'm educated as a psychologist and I have worked as one for the last five years. I have often been surprised at the counterproductive angle employed by many that attempts to deal with trauma. In many cases, trauma is cultivated and bred rather than dealt with. Sometimes, trauma is even created where none is initially present.

One typical case I dealt with, was a girl that had been sexually abused by her father, and despite the fact that she seemed to have dealt with it and now was a well-functional teen/adult, she eventually became traumatized as well-meaning therapists tried to uncover the 'supressed' and 'hidden' trauma that she harbored. From beeing a productive and functional student she became a traumatized victim dependent on government welfare.

Fact is: experiences are moulded not only by the experience itself, but by the perception that filters it. While rape and abuse have the potency to scar an individual, and in many cases do, the message that someone is broken and destroyed seldom helps the victim to cope and overcome.

#72446 - 11/03/12 12:49 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Gattamelata]
Lucifershal0 Offline
stranger

Loc: Mt.Pleasant, SC
Well I'm gettin late on this one. I'm not getting into what you all have been going on about because it's been on almost that one subject. I personally cannot stand the fact that as far as this website goes, there are several people who feel they are far superior than others. No mutual respect for each other what so ever. I was told lastnight that I have no respect here because I make no contributions. I am not here to gain respect from anyone. It's a website, and my life doesn't revolve around arguing round and round over what is the right way and what isn't. The only reason I joined this site years ago was to make some friends, not have intellectual stand-offs on subjects that I have really no interests in personally. Why do people have to basically be assholes against others that are here because we all have some similar foundations of how we live our lives? And as far as contributions to the site, I've asked the founder several different times if he would take some $$$ for site upkeep and was told it wasn't necessary. I'm only going to try to help to a point and then I don't give a fuck. So in general I'd say to answer the topic question "What offends you the most?" Ignorant people who enjoy pissing others off because the only power they have is a computer for conversation and no social life skills.
#72454 - 11/03/12 01:25 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Lucifershal0]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
 Quote:

I personally cannot stand the fact that as far as this website goes, there are several people who feel they are far superior than others

If it bothers you so much, you have several options. You can leave, you can ignore posts by those people, or best of all you are free to engage them in discussion and bring their ego down a few notches if you think that can prove that their self inflated ego is not deserved. As long as you stick to attacking their ideas and not making personal childish attacks (name calling), you are good to go.

Quote:

No mutual respect for each other what so ever.

This is totally wrong. There is a Hell of a lot of respect around here between many members, even those that at times seem to be at each others throats. However, in this place respect is earned and never guaranteed, and it can also be lost.
This place is not for the overly sensitive and easily butt hurt types, such as the people you will often encounter all over the world who demand respect and believe that demanding it, or using threats to get it is the same as deserving it.

Quote:

I am not here to gain respect from anyone

Then why the fuck are you complaining about not getting it?

Quote:

The only reason I joined this site years ago was to make some friends, not have intellectual stand-offs on subjects that I have really no interests in personally

First, no one is stopping you from making friends. We can't force members to be friendly with you, just as we can't force them to have respect for you. Friendship and respect both need to be earned if one wishes it to be sincere.

Second, this site is what it is, and it will not change simply because you joined it for reasons other then what it is intended for.

Quote:

And as far as contributions to the site, I've asked the founder several different times if he would take some $$$ for site upkeep and was told it wasn't necessary.

Why ask several times, if you already got a definite answer the first time, and if you are as displeased with the site as you appear to be, then why would you want to financially contribute to it in the first place?

Quote:

So in general I'd say to answer the topic question "What offends you the most?" Ignorant people who enjoy pissing others off because the only power they have is a computer for conversation and no social life skills.

Some of us can do both. We can be civil and respectful to those who deserve it both online and in general society. However I strongly doubt that those who only project hostility and butt hurt online are able to act much differently in the real world.

Edited by Asmedious (11/03/12 01:26 PM)

#72455 - 11/03/12 01:32 PM Re: What offends you the most? [Re: Asmedious]
Lucifershal0 Offline
stranger

Loc: Mt.Pleasant, SC
I'm not complaining about not having respect. I have plenty of that with my job and people who are closest to me and I sure as hell don't need it on a website. I just get irritated by those who think they're superior when in all reality we are pretty much equal unless you can fuckin levitate or walk on water I'd say we're all equals. And I totally agree with you on your last comment. If anything I thought it was pretty funny what has been said. I never intended on making friends with anyone and everyone on here at all. If I do make some then great, if not it isn't that much of an issue. My whole perception of my original comment was I just don't understand why people take things so personal, then lash out at others. Personally I have no issues with anyone on a personal level here at all. Everyone either talks and are decent or they seem like they're whole world is just shit and everyone else included. If that makes sense.

Edited by Lucifershal0 (11/03/12 01:38 PM)

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.