Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#36128 - 03/06/10 02:46 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Asmedious]
Leingod Offline
stranger

Im sort of saying that asmodious, but i more mean it in the sense that what is thought to be "objective" reasoning is often little more than the socially accepted subjective.
#36131 - 03/06/10 04:21 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Leingod Offline
stranger

Actually, my argument is your argument. I guess i just dont like poor logic, as the result of poor logic is just another religion.

Meh sorry for my rant

Edited by Leingod (03/06/10 04:24 PM)

#38940 - 05/31/10 02:27 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
cadfael Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: Tn.
This absolutely one of the best, testie I have seen. When I was in college this was a course sad to say of less importance, maybe they did not want the students to think. In all this article made me to crack open my college book on critical thinking and reevalve the meaning. To put this as the foremost article is brilliant. Thank you..
#39562 - 06/26/10 10:03 AM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: cadfael]
Protected Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
Wow. After reading the previous debating between Leingod and others, I fear I have a while to go before I understand.. No, perceive* the inner workings of human thought and belief as well as other members of this club.

Having said this, I believe I would be correct, and maybe even obvious in saying that there is no SET way in which a person will perceive, interpret or accept any statement no matter how extreme.

The main article of this forum really is a comprehensive guide to critical thinking - In my opinion. I am grateful to the author and to whoever re-posted it here. I like the fact that a critical view to the article was taken and I believe I have only learnt more because of this.

A big Thank-You to all previous "Posters" for their added knowledge.

#39707 - 06/30/10 03:46 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Asmedious]
TheSerpent Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern Ireland
I think critical thinking is an essential tool in the Satanists arsenal,as it demonstrates our open mindedness, I believe critical thinking is really needed to decode PARTS of the Satanic Bible as to others, dare I say the closed minded ones, that the Satanic Bible can come across wrong, or can be interpreted wrong, this creates a problem as these misinterpretations are often used against us as I noticed on an interview between Bob larson and Nena Lavey and Nikolas Shreck.

#45140 - 12/18/10 01:55 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Asmedious]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Using quick reply here so this is aimed at 6 rather than anyone else. I enjoyed reading this post over at SIN and I like to re-read it from time to time. It is a very great use for many different types of experiences.

It also helps to tell the differences between what is true and what is false. However, as I have replied to this before, don't you think that the outcomes of this guide would be different to any involved? Some people have said that they have experienced things (not trying to plug this show or in any ways validate it but like Ghost Hunters) through scientific means. These guide weeds out certain experiences but in the way of the person employing this guide, the outcomes could turn out slightly different due each person's experiences.

But again, excellent post and I wish there were more teachers out there that chose different ways to entertain superstition and beliefs. In the end, you can learn a lot about yourself and your perspectives can evolve onto better ones. Beliefs that are based in FACT and not FAITH.

Thanks for the dual post or I might not have even noticed it.

#45144 - 12/18/10 02:35 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

If critical thinking is applied in the way it was intended there will be no difference in conclusions that are reached. If people are reaching different conclusions there is a problem with one of the. The ability to replicate results over and over again is very important.

There is nothing "scientific" about Ghost Hunters, the show or anyone who calls themselves by that title. And they certainly aren't applying critical thinking skills in any way. All they ever see is positive evidence because they have already reached the conclusion that ghosts are real.

As far as personal experience is concerned, well, it doesn't count for much. Our minds are very good at playing tricks on us and we often see what we want to see rather than what actually is (or isn't) there.

#45156 - 12/18/10 03:34 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Ghost Hunters, the show, uses scientific means to monitor spirit activity. It really an interesting show to watch when you have time to catch it. Regardless of what you believe as a skeptic or a non skeptic. At least it's entertaining.

So minus the scientific equipment that they use, you are saying that they hear and see things because they have proven to themselves (or likely repeated to themselves) so many times that these things are real and that something is going to happen, that they make it happen? Feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted that.

Either way, it IS an interesting way of looking at it. The mind IS a powerful thing and it has been proven that when you've been told by others or yourself over and over again for a long enough period of time, you start to believe it.

#45158 - 12/18/10 03:38 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Just because they use equipment that has a legitimate purpose in actual science does not mean that what they are doing is scientific. I can use a speculum for fun but I wouldn't call what I do gynecology.

And yes, that is exactly what I am saying. These people, like so many others, have fallen into the trap of confirmation bias. Wherein one only recognizes evidence that supports the belief they have already chosen, even if the support is only imagined by the observer.

#45168 - 12/18/10 03:56 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
OrgasmicKarmatic Offline

Originally Posted By: 6Satan6Archist6
Just because they use equipment that has a legitimate purpose in actual science does not mean that what they are doing is scientific. I can use a speculum for fun but I wouldn't call what I do gynecology.

And yes, that is exactly what I am saying. These people, like so many others, have fallen into the trap of confirmation bias. Wherein one only recognizes evidence that supports the belief they have already chosen, even if the support is only imagined by the observer.

I can see that yes. I still find it interesting to watch, even if only for entertainment. I have experienced things that I just can't understand. Maybe one day these things will be uncovered and they will turn from unknown chaos to science. Only time will tell.

#45170 - 12/18/10 03:58 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: OrgasmicKarmatic]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Have you looked at some of the "scientific" equipment that they use? Some of it looks like a bunch of "shit" that they bought at radio shack, added some lights and called it something. Using 6's analogy of a speculum, it would be like taking two ice cream sticks, stapling it together, parting it and calling it a scientific gynecological instrument.

I do agree that the show is entertaining on some level, but that is about as far as I would go.

#45172 - 12/18/10 04:02 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Asmedious]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Tried to embed a video, didn't work. And since the "Delete Post" button doesn't work here is the video.

Edited by 6Satan6Archist6 (12/18/10 04:04 PM)

#46578 - 01/11/11 10:32 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
thedeadidea Offline

My only problem with this is with the notion of falsifiability. Where although Popper is accepted to an extent he is certainly not the most accepted explanatory power in philosophy of science. Most go with Kuhn's notion of paradigms and subscribe to a method of probabilistic induction.
#46583 - 01/11/11 10:51 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: thedeadidea]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

What, exactly, is your problem with the rule of falsifiability? And who is this "Popper" and "Kuhn" what do they have to do with this?

#46584 - 01/11/11 11:09 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: thedeadidea]
Autodidact Offline

You're over-analyzing. The framework is designed to teach college freshmen and sophomores, who have no background in critical thinking, how to view paranormal claims from a scientific point of view; not to teach them philosophy of science.

The falsifiability point is mainly aimed at getting the students to concentrate on defining terms and claims and looking at evidence.

Kuhn himself emphasized accuracy as a comparative between paradigms, and induction requires evidence. Most paranormal claims / shows / theories are dubiously supported by the evidence (if any) - I think that's the point.

6, correct me if I'm off-base.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.