Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#63243 - 01/02/12 01:01 AM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Semyaza]
bloddy11 Offline
stranger

Loc: Spartanburg, SC
Falsifiability is a method used in conjunction with other methods to make a determination. I don't have a college degree but I comprehend the message in the "field guide". I was raised to think for myself, make my own decisions, and take into consideration the experience of others. This article helped me to bolster my belief in myself.
#65826 - 03/31/12 04:59 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Deava Offline
stranger

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I enjoyed this thread and think that critical thinking is essential. Wether you are smart or an idiot thinking for your self is essential. I see it all the time, people buying into ideas that make no sense just because of who said it.

Some of my favorite critical thinking fails involve theology, history and philosophy. For instance Ialdabaoth is Yahweh but is invoked in the Luciferian Ensorcelling Rite.

Furthermore I am boggled by the fact that the foundational philosophy and goals of the T.O.T.B.L. seems identical whith the Ancient Gnostic Heresy. They are both Anti-cosmic, wherein the true divinities appear demonic and the goal is to destroy the world to free the sparks.

Any time people let others tell them what to think and give up on thinking for themselves there will be huge fails in critical thinking.

Food for Thought
Deava

#65829 - 03/31/12 06:24 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Deava]
Frumious Offline

Loc: New Jersey
 Originally Posted By: Deava
For instance Ialdabaoth is Yahweh but is invoked in the Luciferian Ensorcelling Rite.

Ialdabaoth is a little more complicated than that, as per this bit in Wikipedia:
Yaldabaoth

I don't know that I'd invoke this guy, but if I were naming everyone and everything under the sun, as some rites seem to be doing, I guess I might toss this fellow in.

Most interesting to me is his lion-headed snake aspect. I'd like to team him up with a griffin and the Feathered Serpent. Actually, I'd like to watch the three of them fight!

But no, he isn't simply Yahweh.

#66692 - 05/08/12 05:53 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Frumious]
Deava Offline
stranger

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Dear Frumious

Hello there and thanks for your referal to the Wiki site.

I am sorry that I am not able to be on more.

Once upon a time research involved actually cracking books and verifying sources by experts in their respective fields.

Now anyone can and does edit, annotate and create Wikipedia resources. It is not a reliable source. It is true, log on and spin what you want. I dare you to make a Wiki about anything and you can spin it anyway you want. Make your own propaganda. And then use it to back up your arguments. Sweet.

Historically Ialdabaoth is another name for Yahweh. See the Nag Hamadi library. It was the supreme secret of the Gnostic Heretics that the Creator God (and both Ialdabaoth and Yahweh are sited as such) that the Creator God is really the Devil that Jesus came to save us from.

I am referring to research not what I believe per se. Obviously.

We are in the brave new world of internet media which makes it more vital than ever to do your own research. How can you free your mind if you do not think for your self. It is your responsibility to be informed about what you think.

Remember, it takes more than a Wiki to impress me.

The Lurking Deava

#71652 - 10/08/12 11:12 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Asmedious]
Daemon of Lust Offline
stranger

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Asmedious
Sometimes you guys can really fuck with my head.

It appears to me that all of you are in fact in favor of “critical thinking,” but are simply arguing over the nuts and bolts of it.

If I understand Leingod correctly, he is basically saying that just because someone claims and believes themselves to be using critical thinking in their assessments, they might actually be using a view that is tainted by their subjective personal experiences and view points, instead of having the ability to step outside of themselves and to look at a situation truly objectively. If that is indeed what he is saying then I would have to agree.

I would have to agree with you. It would seem that they have the same point of view, but dont realize they do. Just because one claims to use critical thinking to back their statement or view, does not make their claim any truer. You must take apart said claim and examin it yourself. Correct?

#72750 - 11/10/12 11:27 AM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Asmedious]
SoldierforSatan Offline
stranger

My opinion is that most people in the world today are selfish...now selfishiness isnt a bad thing persay...but...I think the number one reason people have kids is because they want someone to take care of them when they are older...and someone to keep the family name alive...which is pure self intrest...People from all over the world keep fuckin and increasing the population, which will lead to higher taxes, more social prolems, and the end of the world as we know it...

I believe that critical thinking isnt taught to people in public schools that much, because of what the first post said...the government need to keep its people in control, and what better way to do that, than supress the education system...

SOOOOOOOOO...If you wanna have a kid, and not be a complete drag on this society, wait till you are well enough off to send your child to a private school, so he or she can get a decent education...

#72753 - 11/10/12 11:50 AM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: SoldierforSatan]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
"My opinion is that most people in the world today are selfish...now selfishiness isnt a bad thing persay...but...I think the number one reason people have kids is because they want someone to take care of them when they are older...and someone to keep the family name alive...which is pure self intrest...People from all over the world keep fuckin and increasing the population, which will lead to higher taxes, more social prolems, and the end of the world as we know it.."

You OBVIOUSLY don't have kids. Parents spend most of their time working their fingers to the bone to provide their children with things like food, clothing, housing, toys, etc. I don't sit around thinking about how I have it made when I turn 80 because I have kids. My main goal is to get the little mini mes running around raised and prepared for the World when they are old enough to be on their own. They ain't passing down my name, just my genetics.

I do agree that having children is a selfish act. However, that's for one reason and one reason alone, EVERY act is selfish.

People are going to fuck regardless. It's not like people are having more kids today as they did in the past. The only difference is that in the past medical care sucked and the infant death rate was somewhere around 50%.

Solutions to this problem lie in easier access to contraception (and I don't mean the Government paying for it), not the World crossing their legs together.

"I believe that critical thinking isnt taught to people in public schools that much, because of what the first post said...the government need to keep its people in control, and what better way to do that, than supress the education system..."

Of course the government is using the public education system to keep the populace in control. That's not a shocker. I don't think it's the government's job to teach my children skills like this, it's my job.

"SOOOOOOOOO...If you wanna have a kid, and not be a complete drag on this society, wait till you are well enough off to send your child to a private school, so he or she can get a decent education..."

Soooooooo the private school is not going to be doing the same thing the public education system does? Where I live it's mostly Christian private schools. Should I expose them to that form of brain washing in order to not be a drag on society?

I'm not even going to get into the fact that private schools have to teach pretty much the same core curriculum in order to be accredited or else they education received their doesn't count. (I know two people this happened to. They had to get their GED after graduating because their private school wasn't accredited)

People pay for the Public Education system as well. It's called taxes. It's the parents responsibility to teach these kind of things. If the parent fails to, that's on them.

Edited by FemaleSatan (11/10/12 11:52 AM)

#72756 - 11/10/12 01:05 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: FemaleSatan]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

[Quick reply]
You can try to teach children to be critical.
Despite all education given, critical thinking will only be used when there's disagreement on a subject and almost never on a subject that's in line with religous or philosophical beliefs (where it actually should matter).

Genuine stupid people will remain stupid despite all critical thinking or education given.

#72842 - 11/12/12 09:57 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Dimitri]
SoldierforSatan Offline
stranger

I believe that the Ultimate Most CRUEL THING that you could do as a human, is create life...because as you create, you condemn...You condemn that new born baby to a life, and a death...which i believe is the cruelest thing of all...LIFE...Yes you get the pleasures of life....but i didnt sign up for the horrors of death...so why should i make someone else suffer the same fate?

I guess its all about perspective...in which i believe yours is skewed, because you let your emotions tell you LIVE...but reality, tells you DIE!

#72852 - 11/13/12 09:57 AM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: SoldierforSatan]
FemaleSatan Offline

Loc: The Dirty South
Man, I know you're trying to be deep here, but the level of 'deep thought' hits my ankles at best man.

If you don't experience life you never exist. So you have no experiences whatsoever, you are nothing.

When it comes to life I go with LaVey, "Life is the great indulgence--death, the great abstinence. Therefore, make the most of life--HERE AND NOW"- Anton LaVey

Life and Death are simply two sides of the same coin man. I find nothing cruel about Death (sucks for the people who mourn you), it simply is.

Anyway, the thread was about critical thinking, not that having children makes someone a big ole meany. ;\)

"You can try to teach children to be critical.
Despite all education given, critical thinking will only be used when there's disagreement on a subject and almost never on a subject that's in line with religous or philosophical beliefs (where it actually should matter). "

You can teach this, it's even simple to do. Let me give you an example. I bought my son a book about the Earth, how it was formed, how old it is, it touched on Evolution, etc (he's a Science nut). His grandmother bought him a Creationist book on how the Earth was formed.

He comes to me about the whole thing. Slams both of the books on the table and said, "Which book is lying?"

I asked him, "Which book do you think is lying?"

So we discussed it for awhile and what I told him was this: It doesn't matter what I think, what Grammy thinks, what Daddy thinks or anyone else, what matters is what you think. What you find to be true, what you figure out about the World on your own.

^^That teaches critical thinking. I don't care what they become, just that it's on their own terms. Even small children encounter these kinda things. Most parents TELL the child what to believe, they don't make them do the work to figure it out for themselves.

Edited by FemaleSatan (11/13/12 09:59 AM)
Edit Reason: Adding.

#72853 - 11/13/12 10:18 AM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: FemaleSatan]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I'd say that's only offering options and then be inconclusive.
I wasn't there when you had that little chat but I'm inclined to believe you learned it jackshit. Minds change with age and like I said before, you can learn critical thinking but the catch is knowing when to apply it.

Pat yourself on the back for this and other small instances your son questions things. Let's see if that behavior will be kept up years after his curiosity stage.

#72862 - 11/13/12 05:49 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Dimitri]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
You said that people only think critically when there's disagreement. That's true--it comes from the argumentative theory of reasoning. For the most part, humans use reason to support what they already believe, instead of to find the true answer.

As the cartoon I posted before notes, there are two ways to approach critical thinking: from conclusion to supporting facts (bias, as described above) or from facts to supported conclusion.

When a child asks a question like FS's son did, he hasn't "picked a side" yet; he has no bias. If one "offers options," it creates the very disagreement that spurs critical thinking. Offering options to a child's question is encouraging him to think critically without bias.

The whole reason children have that curiosity stage is because they are born without knowledge they need to acquire. You can teach a child conclusions, or you can teach a child how to find conclusions. Teaching a child a conclusion ends the line of inquiry. Teaching a child how to find a conclusion encourages him to keep inquiring. It develops a good habit of going from facts to supported conclusion, instead of from conclusion to supporting facts.

By the way, inconclusive describes a set of facts, not a person. You would describe a person that fails to draw a conclusion as "indecisive," not inconclusive. FS wasn't being indecisive. She had a conclusion; she just withheld it.

#72880 - 11/14/12 08:13 AM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: XiaoGui17]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
The whole reason children have that curiosity stage is because they are born without knowledge they need to acquire. You can teach a child conclusions, or you can teach a child how to find conclusions. Teaching a child a conclusion ends the line of inquiry. Teaching a child how to find a conclusion encourages him to keep inquiring. It develops a good habit of going from facts to supported conclusion, instead of from conclusion to supporting facts.

That's dry theory really.
Yes, it has learned how to reach conclusions on its own. But is there still a willingness to question or be critical as soon as it reached a conclusion?

I've said it before, there is a difference between teaching the methods and actual application.

#73260 - 11/28/12 06:18 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: Asmedious]
SoldierforSatan Offline
stranger

yes...but there is always the person/people who defy logic, like someone who can see the future...like me...

If you are incapable of contributing more to a discussion than vague allusions to power, with half-sentences spaced apart by a criminal misue of ellipses, then refrain from posting or I will ensure that you do not post at all. And it will be permanent.

Edited by Nemesis (11/28/12 07:01 PM)

#73264 - 11/28/12 08:02 PM Re: A Field Guide to Critical Thinking [Re: SoldierforSatan]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

You can see the future? Really? Okay, so how about giving me the Powerball numbers.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.106 seconds of which 0.073 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.