Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#26242 - 06/25/09 04:05 PM Satanism and the family.
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
With me currently staying with family I've obviously been logging on to the forum form my parents house amongst other places. Naturally many debates I have on this and other forums/chat rooms, end up being mirrored between myself and my family.

I was wondering, does anyone else here have a non-Satanist family who you discuss your philosophical and political ideals with and how does Satanism relate to these discussions? Do you family know and accept that you're a Satanist? Do they disapprove? How do you handle the discussions and are any topics taboo or considered absolute?

The subject that seems to snag for me is "belief in belief". My dad and I had a discussion in which I explained my disdain for religion, he's also an Atheist yet he spouted the same nonsense many theist spout. Phrases like "Prove God doesn't exist", "It's their right to believe what they want", and "You should be respectful of their beliefs" where commonplace and it's all because of religious upbringing. Does anyone else have issues like this with their family.

#26248 - 06/25/09 05:04 PM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: TornadoCreator]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

My close family are pretty much aware of my philosophical leanings. They know I am an athiest, skeptic and have a disdain for organized religion, but whether or not they know me as a Satanist is anybody's guess. I told my mom that I was back when I was 14, before I really knew what the fuck I was talking about, and I am sure she has since forgotten.

None of those people are overtly religious and never have been so I never catch any flack for my views. I don't usually discuss politics, religion or philosophy with my family or friends unless it is in a joking manner. The reason being that I am, shall we say, on a different level.

#26253 - 06/25/09 05:24 PM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Jake999 Offline

EVERYBODY in my family knows who I am and what my views are. Whether they care or approve is something I am long past being concerned about. LOL! My nieces and nephews were told that I was "the boogeyman" when they were young to keep them in line.

#26271 - 06/25/09 07:52 PM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: Jake999]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Due to my health, I recently moved back home with my mother (how embarressment LOL), so she is aware that I follow the Left Hand Path. She is an Atheist herself, so religion has never been a topic that has held much interest for us. I have told her enough to know that it is not a cult (my Grandmother saw a book in my room on witchcraft and thought that I'd joined a cult, at 38 no less doh), but the word Satanist still holds a certain amount of disdain to her and at this stage of my life, I think she's old enough to have her own opinion and it would be a waste of my time and energy to try and change it.

I have however, shared the Ayn Rand book 'The Virtue of Selfishness' with my sisters and urged them to read it.

My sisters are like chalk and cheese and one, like me, has those views pretty much already, that you have to look after number one first, although in my eyes, she is clouded by her spiritual beliefs, she is a 'psychic' in her mind, but just very 'intuitive' in mine. She reads tarot and does dream reading, having had her own radio show here for a few years, she's alot more Satanic than she realizes. She however, sees Satanism as negetive, because of her lack of understanding and originally closed herself off to what I was actually talking about when the word first started peppering our conversations. It's quite amusing actually. There is certainly plenty to learn from your family, even when they don't mean to be teaching what it is you are learning.

Whilst the other is the exact opposite and believes strongly in people being made to give back to society and wants to save the world from itself. She is an aethiest, but has very leftist leanings. She does at least practise what she preaches and is involved in the Greens party here, so I have to respect her for that. We agree to disagree about politics, but recently her 21 YO son read The Satanic Bible (not from me, I can't remember where he came across it), and she couldn't wait to tell me! I think I was meant to be impressed. She is at least following her own nature and beliefs and is not a sheep.

Had I recognized myself as Satanic younger, I would have no doubt felt compelled to have educated all of my family on what it was and what it meant to me, but I'm older and wiser and whilst I want them to understand enough to not think I've lost the plot, I haven't ever had to justify who or what I am to my family. They know me very well and over all have been pretty supportive of my life long questioning of taboos and living hard and by my strong will.

I'm a partly product of my family though, certainly when I was a child, so it's my genes and upbringing and experiences that made me who I am, so in a way, it's their upbringing that gave me a certain leaning towards Satanism.

ZephyrGirl

#26280 - 06/25/09 09:12 PM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
My family knows what I believe. My mother tried that bullshit going to hell bit till I remind them how long I have been the same while she can't remember who her priest is. My other sister is a born again christian, who freaked when she found out I could quote scripture at her and gave her leads on religous books to read. When I said "How nice your following in some of my footsteps (in regard to reading material)" It looked like her head would explode, and she cried out "Never". lol

When you live with your family, you have to respect and abide by their rules. There is no point in throwing stuff in their face and causeing unnecessary stress.

If you cant respect their opinions when they shit on yours, move out.

This is not a matter of turning the other cheek, but acknowledging your own weaknesses put you in a situation where you dont have a leg to stand on.

So, if you live at home, take the shit till you can get a job and move the fuck out. You choose the life you lead.

Morgan

#26440 - 06/30/09 12:36 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Demonic Moroni Offline
stranger

Loc: Arizona
 Quote:
having had her own radio show here

Would it be possible to be directed towards this radio show? If she really does have Satanic philosophical leanings, it could be really interesting. It could, even if she didn't, though.

#26448 - 06/30/09 01:54 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: Demonic Moroni]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

If it was still running, I still wouldn't. I wouldn't want to identify her. Sorry I tend to write from experience and not from theory about subjects, so my examples tend to be real world and personal. Somebody slap me.

Zeph

#26451 - 06/30/09 07:17 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Jester Offline
pledge

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I told my parents what I was when I was 17, which caused them to wonder about me, but now they just see me for who I am...me, simply me. Now that I am 25 we never really talk about religion, they know what I think and what I am and it's not a problem for them because I am not some monster or some psycho.

My LaVey books are on my shelf, next to my Crowley (Including the one you shipped to me Morgan ;\) my Rand, Nietzsche. I don't hide anything from my folks. They are pretty understanding, hell, I am 25 living with school debts and they still let me live there haha. They let me make my own choices.

#26519 - 07/01/09 07:00 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: Jester]
Atralux Lucis Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
My family is pretty open. My mother is ignorant of the exact philosophy but takes fun in telling her friends of me being a 'satanic'.
My father is annoyingly cynical and so takes many a chance to mock Satanism and purposely misunderstanding it with devil worship.
My sister wants a Pentagram and through her unwillingness to learn is taking her time in reading TSB but she is pretty liking of the philosophy.
So far of my family my grandmother is the only one who I think did or made a good attempt at reading the Satanic Bible.

Thats my spill about family. My favoured half of extended family are Catholic and fairly devout but I still hold strong to my beliefs in any circumstance. If anyone (even family) wish to follow some stupid religion, or have uneducated scorn to Satanism then their opinion is void on my beliefs

#26759 - 07/03/09 01:54 PM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: Atralux Lucis]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
My parents flipped when I first "came out"; concerned I had gone insane, or was hearing voices, or was buying into some kind of an "evil cult". That first day was a bit traumatic; they threatened to cancel all future Christmases, said they'd take me to a psychiatrist, etc... Ironically, despite the fact that they are professed catholics, they probably talked to me about God that day more than they ever did in my entire life.

Nowadays they don't really care, seeing that they soon realized I'm still the same healthy, sane, reasonable person I've always been. I suspect they console themselves by telling each other that it's just a "phase" I'll soon pass out of.

#26798 - 07/04/09 06:02 PM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: The Zebu]
TornadoCreator Offline

I find it really quite entertaining when people threaten to cancel Christmas when you say you don't believe in God or are no longer Christian, as though the loss of the holiday will shock someone into believing in God and following the Bible. It's comical really. Especially if the person doesn't care. I've seen that happen on a YouTube video when a kid tells his mother he's an Atheist and she goes ballistic, claims Christmas is just for Christians and he'll "get no presents" and after about 30 seconds of her screaming at him from 3 inches away he just shouts "Fine" and it practically knocks her speechless. It's great. She then goes on about how it's not fine and he's going to hell, to which he walks off and says, "Hell is a joke".

Ironically, I've had more arguments from my family because, assuming I have kids, which I intend to do at some point, I don't intend to do the Santa myth crap. If I expect them to be critical about stuff, I don't want a major holiday in their childhood to be based around a lie. Apparently that makes me a monster that wants to destroy a child's hopes and dreams, they'll never enjoy life and they won't be allowed Christmas like all the other kids. I never said that, I just won't tell them Santa is real. Apparently my parents don't listen. When it comes to God though, meh, it's fine to not tell kids about God.

Anyone would think my parents believe in Santa the way they acted.

#26811 - 07/05/09 02:52 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: TornadoCreator]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
 Quote:
I don't intend to do the Santa myth crap.

My kid gets Santa, Easter Bunny, the works. These figures might be associated with Christian festivals in our society, but the raw symbolism is clearly about fertility, and has nothing to do with any particular religion - least of all Christianity!

We all need rituals and fantasy (or at least everyone I know does, including myself) and kids need these things in double measure. Will you stop them from playing cops and robbers too, just because the police force doesn't enlist children?

I would focus more on being honest with kids. A lot of adults feed a lot of kids a lot of crap.

#26825 - 07/05/09 08:08 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: god.over.djinn]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

I would have to agree totally with G.O.D.

But everything you think you know about child raising will change as soon as the kid actually arrives. See the vege thread, you can think you'll know what you'll do, but until it happens you don't.

You'll know when the time is right for kids to be told the truth about Santa. They will make up their own minds anyway TC. Or hear about it at school. Usually about 5, they are hearing at school that Santa isn't real.

My daugher asked me about it, and said, now I really want you to tell me the truth Mummy, so I did. She was kicking herself, one less present at Christmas, LOL.

Kids need imagination too, so don't try and tell kids not to believe in anything, rather give them ALL the information, they will make up their own minds anyway.

I have a friend that was raised Jehova. They get no Christmas or Birthday presents. He resented it greatly, kids just feel like they are missing out and resent you. They don't care why you're doing it. Not that spoiling a child is good before anyone goes there..but that's anothr topic.

Zephyr

#26826 - 07/05/09 11:08 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: ZephyrGirl]
TornadoCreator Offline

I don't intend to remove holidays, and there's nothing saying my children (when/if I have any), can't celebrate Christmas to the full and enjoy the story of Santa Clause, my only change would be I couldn't bring myself to tell them it's true. I know how much value I place of truth, and I also know children by their nature believe their parents implicitly. Sure it doesn't do a great deal of harm but I feel it's a better move to not lie around this holiday and just enjoy it for what it is, a chance to celebrate your friends and family and be thankful for the people in your lives by sharing a meal and exchanging gift. Isn't that what the "Christmas Spirit" really is. That said, you're right, I don't know for sure if I will change my mind when I have kids, I would like to think I wouldn't though.

#26865 - 07/06/09 06:22 AM Re: Satanism and the family. [Re: TornadoCreator]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
Hi TC,

Probably, there is no need to tell them something until there is something to tell. I've never had to tell my child that, yes, Santa really is a real person. Like Zeph said, they just don't think to ask until they get older. Until then, just enjoy playing Santa. And even after they do ask, one could just respond that at Christmas, we pretend Santa is real. Which is the honest truth.

G.O.D.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.037 seconds of which 0.017 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.