Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#26477 - 06/30/09 07:26 PM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Dimitri]
Mike Offline

Loc: Farmingdale, NY
Not neccessarily. How do Christians trying to spread the word of God back up the theory that God is a psychological crutch? And again, the whole point in posting on this forum is to debate. It wouldn't be much of a debate if no one backed up what they were saying...

#26480 - 06/30/09 11:30 PM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Morgan]
hellbent666
Unregistered

Wow Morgan! More assumptions! You assume that I don't read for fun now? You assume that I am not enrolled in a good college, and have to read as part of the curriculum that I'm taking? You assume that I've never read TSB or any other books by LaVey? You could've just asked what books are sitting within arms reach here and a ton of confusion could have been cleared up on your part. I think that black dye has gotten to your head pretty lady ;\)

Please re-read the post before this last one and it states clearly that, "I'm playing devil's advocate". I don't know how much more obvious I could have been with my statements. And I've already mentioned that I'm not a Satanist. I was for nine years and then talked to a few of them from the CoS and decided that I wanted no part in any of the arrogance being perpetrated by them. I leave that forum and come to this one where everyone is so full of assumptions! I need to re-iterate that you cannot make a judgment call based on a lack of facts. Lets try asking more questions first ladies and gentlemen ;\)

Edited by hellbent666 (06/30/09 11:31 PM)
Edit Reason: could not cold lol

#26490 - 07/01/09 01:28 AM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Mike]
hellbent666
Unregistered

The xtians can back up their claims just as well as you can. I'm AGREEING with you mike, just stirring this monotony up a bit. Talk to an educated xtian sometime because they'll give u a run for your money, believe that!
#26501 - 07/01/09 02:32 AM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: ]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Dude, there is a difference between reading for fun and reading for education.
It doesn't matter what books are in arms length if you don't read them. From your views on various subject, it would seem that you need to read more to educate your brain.

Hmm, okay. I'll bite.

So, according to your words, you are playing devil's advocate, and you are not a Satanist.
Then why are you here except to learn more.
If you here to learn more, then perhaphs think more before you post?

Morgan

#26503 - 07/01/09 03:19 AM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Mike]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Mike
Not neccessarily. How do Christians trying to spread the word of God back up the theory that God is a psychological crutch? And again, the whole point in posting on this forum is to debate. It wouldn't be much of a debate if no one backed up what they were saying...

Mike.. read the response again.
Satanist board..Christian heretic spreading his word..
Don't you think there are some arguments in such topics where already is stated that god is a psychological crutch with the neccesary back-up? I'm in for debating and discussing, but not in beating dead horses or common sense ideas in which everyone agrees.

@hellbent666
You might have read the books, but did you understand them?
Also, a 9 year old kid talking to "grown-up" CoS members? Most prefer to keep their identity secret, and even more "claim" to be members..
It's very unlikely you actually met some at that age...
Also at the age of 9 one can't make statements if someone is "arrogant". They simply see it as a "bad person". That's for one.
Second: you claim to play the devil's advocate? Very well then, but there is a difference between the words "statement" and "argument". When playing the devil's advocate you give opposing arguments, and you responded with the fact that your statements weren't responded.
Statements are generally used arguments in which you believe personally and are backed-up with facts. Guess you just dropped your little mask..

I've read a couple of your other posts, stupid assumptions of your behalf, rambling without thinking,..
Take the advice I give you: shut up, read and understand more.
If you can't: leave please,there are enough dummies already.

Edited by Dimitri (07/01/09 03:31 AM)

#26517 - 07/01/09 06:45 AM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: ]
Atralux Lucis Offline
pledge

Loc: Australia
To hellbent666:

I also had contact with some of those CoS preists and some members and agree that the majority of them are the biggest pricks ive ever met, but base being a Satanist on those walking contradictions. Most of them are only in the CoS for a sense of 'Look at how special I am CoS im a satanist' and scorn anyone else who takes an interest or doesnt follow the satanic philosophy with a blind obediance.

I remain a satanist and base my base principles on LaVey's Satanic Bible. I expand on that via his other books and must say that I have gained much in my perception of the world and people via the ideas in them.
Im sorry I ramble but basically all Im saying is that in being here you obviously show that even though you deny it you are probably still a satanist and I dont think that because those retards in the CoS should have any impact on that.

#26582 - 07/01/09 05:06 PM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Atralux Lucis]
Demonic Moroni Offline
stranger

Loc: Arizona
 Quote:
even though you deny it you are probably still a satanist

His beliefs may (or may not be) akin to Satanism, but I think it's really up to hellbent666 to decide what his label is.

#26584 - 07/01/09 05:12 PM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: ]
Mike Offline

Trust me, I have. I usually end up ignoring them due to their overwhelming ignorance. They may seem like they can back up their claims to other Christians or anyone who isn't educated about religion, but the truth is all they are doing is using one aspect of their beliefs to explain another.

For example,

"How do you know the bible is god's word?"

"Well, just look in chapter such and such and it very clearly states..."

"Right, but it was man who wrote that down. How do you know they aren't bullshitting us?"

"Well, you need to have faith."

They may be backing up why they believe what they do, but they're certainly not backing their religion up at all. Now even though this is a simple example, it sums everything up. Anything that would get more technical, say if I ask a Christian how could God have created man when man evolved from other species and they say something like "well evolution or any kind of science can't be proven either." Well, it's the same concept really. For almost anything about Christianity to be true a lot of aspects of science would differ, so again this is just supporting why they believe what they do, not why any of it has any fact behind it.

#26585 - 07/01/09 05:14 PM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Dimitri]
Mike Offline

Well Dimitri, I guess I have more patience than you. I don't mind typing for 5 minutes to get my point across. Besides, by this point in the thread the topic has changed.

#28974 - 08/28/09 01:02 AM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Mike]
godam666 Offline
stranger

Loc: indiana
personalaly, I care not to fit in, If not loved I will be hated. I care to be respected, I care for myself, my family and any of "my friends" along for this rollercoaster we call our exsistance. I found out along time ago if you care about what others think then your only their tool. I like intelligent conversation and their are very little people to be found to have such a pleasure of conversing with.

Edited by godam666 (08/28/09 01:04 AM)

#29081 - 08/31/09 08:19 PM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Nightmare]
Volvagia Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Nightmare
even the cavemen had gods

Actually there is no archeological proof of this. All we have from cavemen is a *possible* belief in a afterlife, as objects were found buried in graves. And maybe animal worship. This is all speculation. For all we know they could have left them the objects as a memorial more so, than a belief it would help them in the next life. However, that doesn't mean they had the actual concept of a god in the sense we do. I believe the running consensus is that it was more attuned to animism.

"religion" as we know it had to evolve over a large course of history to get to the psychological crutch god become. I believe the possible animal reverence is them associating themselves with nature, later anthropomorphic characters appear. Most likely it was used to explain away natural occurrence that early humans could not understand. We fear what we don't know.

Originally Posted By: Mike
I don't see how wanting to fit in could be a crutch, however I do understand the rest of your post.

First, to an outsider, Satanism looks like any other religion. However, it is not them who have turned to Satanism, and those that have know that Satanism is unlike any other religion. I could go on to name all of the differences but I think most people on here already know.

Next, the concept of self-deification in Satanism doesn't include having any special abilities normally belonging to Gods. A better answer to your cell mate would've been that you are what's stopping him from pushing you out of the window. The proof that Satanism is different from other religions is easy to find. Anybody can point out the differences if they're a little educated on the subject.

I'm guessing you're referring to LaVey Satanism. There's a bunch of forms of Satanism, some of which use and believe in deity. Its an encompassing term.

Self-deification as I saw it, seemed more psychological in nature to me. Such as it was rejection of supernatural means as a blame for problems and taking command of your own life and own responbilities. "I am my own god." implies that I accept myself as a human, with human problems and human nature. I don't blame god, Satan, fate, or any other force for my own failings. Technically, if free will is to be believed, that makes you a god of yourself since you're responsible for your own actions. That's what the implication seemed to me.

#29405 - 09/09/09 04:00 PM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Mike]
ParadiseLost51 Offline
stranger

Loc: Ohio
@ Mike; concerning faith;

It seems that no matter what point I raise against the blind they just consistantly return with "well, I have faith and you don't. You need to stop relying so much on scientific reasoning and just let God show you the truth." This led, of course, to me laughing to the point of tears. I get sick of those worthless christians who think that science falls by the wayside to a 'power' that noone can even fucking prove to exist. Fuck faith...simple as that

#30615 - 10/19/09 05:35 AM Re: God is a psychological crutch [Re: Mike]
Miss May Offline
pledge

Loc: sebastopol, CA
Some people may use god as a psychological crutch. In fact, I know people who do based on their actions. They choose to believe that the lord will save anyone who asks and that by praying, something is actually going to happen. In their eyes, If what you asked jesus for doesn't happen it's because it wasn't meant to be, if you give birth to a child, it's because god is endowing you with a blessing, and the bible is the best psychological help a person can get.

Their beliefs don't make sense to me. They ignore tangible evidence that goes against their religion. Basically, they're choosing to lie themselves because they're afraid of taking risks and learning something new.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 26 queries. Zlib compression disabled.