Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#26636 - 07/02/09 02:25 AM New to this forum?
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Do yourselves a favor, and spend a few days just reading and lurking about before jumping in head first.

Read this thread here one liners

Then read this one rules

It might save you some aggravation. I have already deleted some one liners tonight. These topics have been addressed time and time again in different areas. They have been made sticky. There should be no excuses. No one wants to log on after a day and find 50 one line "I agree" posts filling up their screens. Much like you wouldn't want to check your email account and find me sending you 50 emails saying "you are so cool". Though it is tempting.

You would be advised to take a look at the film on the homepage regarding debating and thought. It will serve you well while you are here.

#26674 - 07/02/09 01:43 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: fakepropht]
Meq Offline
Banned

The aforementioned video is also available here.

For more on critical thinking, this thread provides some valuable information.

Finally, for an example of debate styles to be avoided, this thread is also worth reading.

#31453 - 11/09/09 03:40 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: Meq]
Choronzon333 Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I cannot even begin to tell you how many forums that I personally have belonged to that had this problem. If you are going to post take the time to make it a good statement to the thread. A simple "I Agree" is annoying.
#31460 - 11/09/09 04:26 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: Choronzon333]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Choronzon333
I cannot even begin to tell you how many forums that I personally have belonged to that had this problem. If you are going to post take the time to make it a good statement to the thread. A simple "I Agree" is annoying.

Amusing that your first post then is really nothing more than a longer more drawn out version of "I agree". Equally annoying and just as useless from my perspective.

Have a nice day

~T~

#31843 - 11/17/09 06:09 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: ta2zz]
Choronzon333 Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for the warm welcome. I guess mine was a one-liner, but at least it was more than two words. Since it is pointless to argue over it though, I just wanted to take the time to thank you for making me feel at home here in your forums.
#33139 - 12/22/09 12:33 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: Choronzon333]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
I have a bad habit of jumping in too quickly to forums (including this one). I usually end up saying something really stupid, and all hell rains down on me. Iím trying to change this habit of learning things the hard wayÖbut just when I think Iím making progress, I end up proving to myself that I still have a long way to go.

If I may offer some advice to anyone who says something stupid on this forum: Unless it is so stupid that it gets you permanently banned, you can recover. Donít try to defend your stupid post by whining or, worse, turning it into a pissing contest. Take your lumps and move forward.

Wait until you find a topic that you have a strong and reasonably original opinion about and then take your time, making your response well thought out and meaningful. Pay attention to spelling and grammar, particularly if youíre a newbie Ė little things like that can say a lot about you. Avoid personal attacks; if you take issue with something someone said, state it in a constructive way.

Iím a newbie myself, and I donít presume to know all the ins and outs regarding etiquette here. But I think my advice makes sense, and I doubt the senior members of this forum would have a problem with what Iíve said. Itís really about using common sense: Donít be a dick, donít be boring and donít take shortcuts.

#33152 - 12/22/09 08:32 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: fakepropht]
PeteOfTheDead Offline

Loc: Brunswick, Melbourne, Victoria...
Very good advice William. Thanks. I've got a habit of putting my foot in it myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one :P.

Edited by PeteOfTheDead (12/22/09 08:32 PM)

#33553 - 01/04/10 03:35 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: PeteOfTheDead]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Please take a moment to look at this picture and absorb the message it contains:

#43783 - 10/24/10 09:38 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Akuji Offline
lurker

Hi im Matthew from england and im new to your forums. I like heavy metal a lot.

Heres a clip of a great black metal band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo

#43792 - 10/25/10 02:26 AM Re: New to this forum? [Re: Akuji]
felixgarnet Offline

Loc: UK
Hi, Matthew from England.
"I" and "England" both begin with capital letters.
Please do not post links to black metal bands on YouTube unless you can accompany them with some intelligent observation and comment.
Please read the first post in this thread and behave accordingly.

#46036 - 01/07/11 01:25 AM Re: New to this forum? [Re: felixgarnet]
Raybee Offline
lurker

hello people, i like and understand what you have all said.. Am new

One line comments are deeply frowned upon, and since you are new, it would be nice if you posted an introduction in the Introduction thread instead of hijacking this one. Morgan

Edited by Morgan (01/10/11 12:08 PM)
Edit Reason: Informed of policy

#46379 - 01/10/11 09:10 AM Re: New to this forum? [Re: Raybee]
The Architect Offline
stranger

Loc: The North West
 Originally Posted By: Raybee
hello people, i like and understand what you have all said.. Am new

Yes so it would seem. Not to sound like a total dick, but I find your statement to be contradictory.
Now it is ok to agree, but it isn't necessary to voice your agreement with a simple "I agree". In this case, a simple nod of the head within the room you're typing in would have been just as easy; and would have taken up far less space.

The contradiction that I noticed was in your understanding. You claim to understand what is being said, yet do the opposite by posting a one liner comment on the obvious.

#48275 - 02/07/11 01:57 AM Re: New to this forum? [Re: The Architect]
myk5 Offline

I disagree, partially to be contrary, but sincerely because it really is often possible to contain the meaning in five paragraphs in a single concise well written sentence.

It's the difference between writing off the top of your head and crafting your language with care.

#48315 - 02/07/11 04:42 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: myk5]
XiaoGui17 Offline

Loc: Amarillo, TX
 Originally Posted By: myk5
I disagree, partially to be contrary, but sincerely because it really is often possible to contain the meaning in five paragraphs in a single concise well written sentence.

It's the difference between writing off the top of your head and crafting your language with care.

If you can contain all the meaning of five paragraphs in a single sentence, the paragraphs you started out with were probably fluffy and vacuous. Five paragraphs of pashmak aren't going to be appreciated any more than a single solid sentence; they'll simply be sticking to the letter of the law while violating the spirit. It's preferable to have a short paragraph full of substantial sentences.

#48387 - 02/08/11 02:39 PM Re: New to this forum? [Re: XiaoGui17]
myk5 Offline

A single sentence is preferable to two if it contains the complete thought, that's the error in this mandate of many sentences!
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.034 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.