Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#26749 - 07/03/09 08:03 AM Operating Systems For The Damned
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne
Hello All,

I was just curious as to whether anyone else here uses Ubuntu Satanic Edition? I have been using it for about 6 months now and think it is a lot of fun.

It is also a good Satanic icebreaker. When in a crowd of fellow geeks to whom it would be silly to advertise my infernal allegiances, I can still get a few laughs and some shocked stares - it just tickles me pink - when I mention which OS I favour.

Or maybe you have some other OS which is even more evil? (Windows doesn't count. Stupidity trumps all claims to evil.)

Come, share your tales of thrills and spills!

#26752 - 07/03/09 08:40 AM Re: Operating Systems For The Damned [Re: god.over.djinn]
Meq Offline
Banned

Ubuntu Satanic Edition has been banned from Distrowatch, full story here.

Originally Posted By: Ladislav Bodnar, Distrowatch
There is no way I am going to add this distro to DistroWatch...

I don’t consider the name “Satanic edition” as an appropriate name for a Linux distribution. Believe me, there are many very sensitive people visiting DistroWatch who would be offended by the name of your distro. There is a line between what is and what isn’t an appropriate name for a software product and I believe that you’ve crossed that line.

The Christian and Muslim editions had no problems though. Discrimination?

Personally I didn't find that distro terribly "Satanic", more a stereotypical Goth "blood, skulls and death" theme.

Comments?

P.S.
I've been using the evil Windows 7 Release Candidate (64-bit edition) of late, which effectively expires the end of February 2010.

Does anyone have any problems with how these editions collect information? It's mostly technical info on crashes (and I've had a few), but I can see how many would object to being "monitored".

#26763 - 07/03/09 04:58 PM Re: Operating Systems For The Damned [Re: Meq]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Meq

Personally I didn't find that distro terribly "Satanic", more a stereotypical Goth "blood, skulls and death" theme.

Comments?

You are right, it doesn't actually have any Satanic literature or ritual software included. If it did, I probably wouldn't use it. I like my literature in hardcopy and not popping up on the screen at random times, and I am capable of orchestrating my own rituals quite to my own satisfaction.

I am just guilty of getting a kick out of stereotypical Goth "blood, skulls and death" themes \:\)

Quote:

Does anyone have any problems with how these editions collect information? It's mostly technical info on crashes (and I've had a few), but I can see how many would object to being "monitored".

I like open source software and think it is good that on the occasion that I do have a crash (which isn't often), this info might help make the distro better in future.

IIRC, it is possible to opt out of the info-gathering process.

#26770 - 07/03/09 11:20 PM Re: Operating Systems For The Damned [Re: god.over.djinn]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I had had my own computer (I use my parents at present) I would probably download it. Like yourself G.O.D, I too have a soft spot for the stereotypical "Goth" stuff and this looks quite stylist.

#26814 - 07/05/09 03:10 AM Re: Operating Systems For The Damned [Re: Meq]
Impius Offline
pledge

Loc: Lille, France
 Originally Posted By: Meq
Ubuntu Satanic Edition has been banned from Distrowatch, full story here.

Originally Posted By: Ladislav Bodnar, Distrowatch
There is no way I am going to add this distro to DistroWatch...

I don’t consider the name “Satanic edition” as an appropriate name for a Linux distribution. Believe me, there are many very sensitive people visiting DistroWatch who would be offended by the name of your distro. There is a line between what is and what isn’t an appropriate name for a software product and I believe that you’ve crossed that line.

The Christian and Muslim editions had no problems though. Discrimination?

Comments?

That's total nonsense...

As you said, and as I expected when I started to read this topic, the only satanic part this distro could include is its design. As you're talking of "blood, skulls and death", I guess it's not even beautifully dark enough to look truly satanic (to me)... whatever.

But... Christian and Muslim editions of Ubuntu ? What's the point ? Do they squeeze to tell their users when to pray or something ? I would find this (or anything really religion-related) way more dangerous in a Linux distro than just an amusing design...

As for Windows (even if, as previously said, it's truly evil in itself ^^), I know there used to be a satanic theme too, named Windows 666 or something. It was pretty much well done if I remember correctly, and far more beautiful than the original Windows XP theme (this green and blue horror should burn in Christian's Inferno).

Well, just googled Windows 666 and couldn't find anything... maybe I got the name wrong...

#26819 - 07/05/09 03:38 AM Re: Operating Systems For The Damned [Re: Impius]
god.over.djinn Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Impius

But... Christian and Muslim editions of Ubuntu ? What's the point ? Do they squeeze to tell their users when to pray or something ? I would find this (or anything really religion-related) way more dangerous in a Linux distro than just an amusing design...

Actually, there is some motivation to have a distro respectively dedicated to Islam or Christianity. These people tend to form large organisations. Large organisations require computer networks, and OSes associated. It would be like if a corporation built their own version of Ubuntu in order to have appropriate branding built in.

By choosing to have imaginary friends, a person could already be categorised as silly; they are not doubly silly if they then dedicate an OS this imaginary friend. They are just being artistic.

#33847 - 01/11/10 07:50 AM Re: Operating Systems For The Damned [Re: god.over.djinn]
Baron dHolbach Offline

Originally Posted By: god.over.djinn
I was just curious as to whether anyone else here uses Ubuntu Satanic Edition? I have been using it for about 6 months now and think it is a lot of fun.

I don't use the software but I recently discovered the web site and grabbed a few wallpapers off it that I liked. I was going to post something about it, but this thread already existed, so I'll simply mention to anyone who likes wallpapers in the color red with a Halloween devil aesthetic, there are a few nice ones on this site.

#33851 - 01/11/10 01:30 PM Re: Operating Systems For The Damned [Re: Baron dHolbach]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Hmm I don't know how I missed this. I have been running this for some time now. It's just a theme really, it doesn't change any of the functionality. Here is a screeny.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.