Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#26858 - 07/06/09 12:40 AM Alejandro Jodorowsky
Jester Offline
pledge

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Alejandro Jodorowsky

Any fans out there? I think he is a man worth talking about. For the uninitiated...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alejandro_Jodorowsky

I find him a very interesting man. I am a huge fan of his films from El Topo (which revolutionized the midnight movie) to Holy Mountain to Santa Sangre. Not to mention his interest in "Psycho magic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychomagic

Probably not your average director, it's a shame he hasn't released anything in years.

Thoughts on Jodorowsky? Do you like his movies, have seen his movies? El Topo is definitely my favorite (Holy Mountain is an ever so close second.) A lot of fans I know prefer Holy Mountain over El Topo, but, one of the reasons why I like El Topo is how it really started the midnight movie revolution (along with a bunch of others like Night of the Living Dead, Pink Flamingo's etc.)

Thoughts?

#26924 - 07/07/09 06:39 PM Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky [Re: Jester]
Morbid Rex Offline

My friend let me borrow a box set of his flicks. So far I've only watched El Topo which I enjoyed a lot. He seems like a very interesting guy and his movies have a lot of depth to them.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#26925 - 07/07/09 10:06 PM Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky [Re: Morbid Rex]
Jester Offline
pledge

I have the box set. It's one of the best purchases I have ever made. I just wish the box set would have included Santa Sangre included. The additions of the soundtracks for El Topo and Holy Mountain were a nice touch though.

#26978 - 07/09/09 05:58 AM Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky [Re: Jester]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
Santa Sangre is one of the best movies ever made. period.
I am not clear on the legalities, but there has apparently been some hurdles in getting it released in the US, hence its unfortunate exclusion in the box set.
I have it on VHS, and I probably only have 1 or 2 more replays before the old tape bites the dust... I really dont want to buy a european dvd player but i will for Jodorowsky.

#26981 - 07/09/09 06:28 AM Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky [Re: Bacchae]
Jester Offline
pledge

I remember reading some where that there some other company had the rights or something. Either way, I was quite happy to have El Topo and Holy Mountain. I'm hoping one day we will get a North American re-release of Santa Sangre. Jodorwsky was rumoured to be releasing something new but I heard that he was having trouble with funding. Which is a shame because they will give a nitwit like Michael an over-sized budget but not a true visionary. Just goes to show the state of the movie industry.

#28316 - 08/11/09 10:33 PM Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky [Re: Jester]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
The first time I watched El Topo , I was tripping. The sound just went right fucking through me.I think its a testament to the man that even though I felt like digging into my own skull with a spoon, I watched the whole movie cause the visuals were so stunning and the story was so unusual.

#32032 - 11/21/09 05:20 AM Re: Alejandro Jodorowsky [Re: jesusbeater]
TV is God Moderator Offline

Loc: The Cornhole
I don't know if it's the same box set Fando y Lis, El Topo, and The Holy Mountain. I have to say they are some of the most inspiring and brilliant films I've ever witnessed. I'd actually be torn between Fando y Lis and the Holy Mountain.

While Holy Mountain was so ridiculously huge I'd have to say I think Fando y Lis was deeper and more crafted. Holy Mountain was more absurd and humorous than anything else. I found Fando y Lis to be disturbing in nature. The latter half movie seemed much like a child's nightmare to me.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.