Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#27017 - 07/11/09 03:42 PM Religulous
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Just incase you haven't seen this awesome movie.

#27059 - 07/13/09 01:00 PM Re: Religulous [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I got a shitload of popups and never got to see the video. Can you find another source?

If anyone else encounters the same problem with this posting, I will delete it.

#27060 - 07/13/09 01:51 PM Re: Religulous [Re: fakepropht]
Meq Offline
Banned

This video plays fine for me after closing the pop-up and clicking "play" a second time.
Fullscreen mode also works fine straight from the embedded video using the appropriate button - although if you click the video itself you get more pop-ups before being able to watch it in its own window.

It's also pretty high quality and, despite much searching, I haven't been able to locate another source yet (excluding torrents).

On the subject matter at hand, this movie has been criticized as somewhat shallow "Atheist masturbation".
Personally though, I found it a worthwhile watch in its defense of a rational mindset, although its mocking approach is obviously highly offensive to many believers (not that many here would have a problem with that though!)

Edited by Meq (07/13/09 01:57 PM)

#27061 - 07/13/09 02:01 PM Re: Religulous [Re: Meq]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

D.

#27070 - 07/13/09 06:05 PM Re: Religulous [Re: fakepropht]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

I see no pop-ups at all, the movie starts fine it just doesn't pause at all. Hitting pause just kills it for me. Oh well I have to make the time to sit and watch it uninterrupted.

I have mentioned it before. I would suggest "firefox" with the "ad blocker plus" plugin with the "easylist" filter from their site for anyone having popup or ad problems while using the Internet.

Control your own computer then ads, popups and popunders are things that happen to others.

~T~

#27072 - 07/13/09 09:16 PM Re: Religulous [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
First time I've been able to watch the whole thing (and the mp4 is available for download on Google Video). Great stuff.

Jesus: "God has got this god-sized hole in your life. You can fit that with...drugs, sex, whatever you want, it is not gonna fill it."

Bill: "Can I try?"

LOL

#27073 - 07/13/09 09:20 PM Re: Religulous [Re: Nemesis]
hellbent666
Unregistered

"You talkin about MY God like that, we're gonna have problems." *raises fist and shakes it* LOL! Gimme a break fattie!

One thing I wish they would have discussed was the value of faith in war. That would have been interesting to discuss. They say religious men are much better fighters, because they say the faithless have nothing to lose. I think that's a cop out though. I think Faithless might be better fighters because we don't believe there's anywhere we go when we die...

Thoughts?

#27074 - 07/13/09 09:46 PM Re: Religulous [Re: ]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Every nation that has ever been in any type of war likes to think that God, by whatever name it is called, is favoring them. Just look at how much W aligned the US invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq with "Gods Will", or that we were "fighting evil".

The Muslim extremists willingly kill themselves believing that they will rewarded in the afterlife. Their faith is a big motivator for them. I am sure that there are Christian soldiers whom aren't afraid of death on the battlefield because they think Heaven awaits. That lack of fear of death could certainly inspire them to fight more courageously.

Atheists might fight better because they believe they will face neither reward or punishment upon their death. But perhaps it is that very concept of nothingness that makes them fearful of death. It has been said that there are no Atheists in foxholes I don't know, I have never been in one and I can only speculate on who would be better on the battlefield.

If they didn't fear their own death to a certain extent, though, they might get careless and be an easy target. A live soldier isn't as useful as a dead one. And there will always be that instinct of self preservation that could be stronger than ones faith or lack therof.

The Romans discovered that soldiers fought better when defending their own land. Specifically their own personal farms, houses, families etc. Small groupings of soldiers around the outskirts of the empire's borders lived together in their own little villages. The soldiers seemed to give it that extra 10% when it was their own stuff they were protecting.

#27077 - 07/13/09 11:07 PM Re: Religulous [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
hellbent666
Unregistered

My grandfather on my mothers side is a Vietnam vet that is an Atheist. He's a mean SOB, I could only speculate what kind of damage that crazy ole bastard did.
#27085 - 07/14/09 08:57 AM Re: Religulous [Re: Nemesis]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I forgot to mention that I laughed the hardest when "Jesus" was being raised on the cross at the HolyLand Experience in Orlando, and the passenger jet flew overhead. I actually scared one of my budgie chicks because I was so loud.

#27132 - 07/15/09 02:41 PM Re: Religulous [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Actually I think I remember a group specifically called "Atheists in Foxholes" made up of Atheist war veterans, devoted to debunking that myth. Furthermore, that statement has nothing to do with God giving you bravery in battle- on the contrary, it reduces God to a metaphysical security-blanket to be used by those afraid of dying.

My opinion is that the purpose of fighting a war should be in of itself inspiring enough to drive a solider on to victory (ie, defending the homeland, stopping an invader, etc). The soldiers that have no motive to fall back on other than the age-old cry of "Deus Lo Vult!" are merely mindless crusaders in a pointless war.

Edited by The Zebu (07/15/09 02:41 PM)

#27157 - 07/16/09 12:38 AM Re: Religulous [Re: The Zebu]
hellbent666
Unregistered

I agree Zebu, I just thought it would have been interesting to discuss as we are now. I admire all men in the military, not just the atheists.
#27158 - 07/16/09 01:00 AM Re: Religulous [Re: The Zebu]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Furthermore, that statement has nothing to do with God giving you bravery in battle- on the contrary, it reduces God to a metaphysical security-blanket to be used by those afraid of dying.

What is the difference? It seems to me that one who is unafraid of dying will most likely be more brave than a person who does fear death.

#27167 - 07/16/09 04:13 AM Re: Religulous [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I don't think it matters what you fight for, if it's God or Satan, or being a deterent. As long as you have something to get you over the line and amongst 'brothers' as such it's all good.

It's going to be a different motivator for every individual. That is what makes us individual. I personally still fight for life, even though I know I'm dying, it only makes me take more calculated risks, not blind ones.

Zeph

#27283 - 07/20/09 09:48 PM Re: Religulous [Re: ZephyrGirl]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
My favorite part of the movie (I already had it and so didn't bother watching it again) was the part where he was talking to the rabbi and he asked something about how many jews died in the holocaust and the guy said, "a couple million".

Oops!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.