Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#27311 - 07/21/09 02:55 PM Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!)
Meq Offline
Banned

Wikipedia Article

When browsing YouTube this video caught my attention. Not a video for the faint-hearted.

This kid was stoned to death by her own people for having a Muslim boyfriend.

Apparently the Yezidi are unique among humans for being descended from Adam without Eve, thus a member who wishes to defile their sacred lineage by seeking a relationship outside the ancient sect deserves to die a brutal death. A grim example of the power of religious dogma.

Since honor killings are a common issue in several cultures, I felt this could provoke some discussion on the topic.

Incidentally, it also did not escape my attention that the Yezidis got two references in The Satanic Bible as alleged devil worshippers. Their religion involves placating the spirit Melek Taus.

Yezidi Wikipedia entry

#27312 - 07/21/09 03:18 PM Re: Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!) [Re: Meq]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
towards the end of the video the sunni retaliation is mentioned, with a shot of 20 dead yezidi men. i feel this all has less to do with religion than it does with simple cultural hatred, which is bread and butter for the middle east. one of the men charged with killing this girl was her cousin, who dropped the first brick on her head.
he may or may not be a religious extremist, but i would wager money that he had a boner for his attractive teenage cousin, and his culture allows him to do the macho thing when slighted.

this is a tragic story, but im sure this bullshit goes on everyday across the dunes. I know dogma and extremism are involved, most definitely, but it seems more and more religion is merely invoked to make violent racism and genocide more palatable for their own people. all sides involved do it.

#27322 - 07/21/09 06:49 PM Re: Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!) [Re: Bacchae]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Bacchae
i feel this all has less to do with religion than it does with simple cultural hatred, which is bread and butter for the middle east......

Religion and culture are closely intertwined in the Middle East. It's no accident that Sunni Muslims and Yezidis both see themselves as God's chosen people, the only true way, a very strong 'us' vs 'them' mentality with both cultural and racial roots. Such dogma reinforces the cultural hatred, which in turn reinforces the militant dogma. The effects of simple tribalism are magnified.

The random manner in which the Sunni retaliation targeted Yezidi men strongly suggests that both sides are happy to dehumanize the enemy, viewing them purely in terms of their membership in a hated group rather than as individual humans. Retaliation is strictly against "them" not against "you" (singular).

It doesn't take a cognitive psychologist to figure out how such behavior is influenced by the militant beliefs involved, by all means not entirely 'religious' beliefs, but also militant-culturally and racially motivated ways of viewing the world. Religious dogma just throws fuel on the smoldering pile.

The Middle East is truly an unenlightened shithole.

#27323 - 07/21/09 07:17 PM Re: Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!) [Re: Meq]
Morbid Rex Offline

Just the latest person to fall victim to a bedtime story.

The perpretrator's actions bare resemblance to gang warfare. You kill some of mine, I kill some of yours, and then everythings all honky dory.

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#27324 - 07/21/09 07:24 PM Re: Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!) [Re: Morbid Rex]
Meq Offline
Banned

There is at least one glaring difference between these two groups:
While militant Sunni Muslims generally kill their enemies from opposing groups, militant Yezidis apparently kill their own.

No doubt the Sunni boyfriend's rage at his girlfriend's death spread to his 'tribe' and became amplified by the militant Sunni attitude.
Got to spill some blood, doesn't matter whose precisely so long as it's some of "them"... then WE are even.

#27327 - 07/21/09 07:47 PM Re: Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!) [Re: Meq]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Didn't I make a post about this back when it happened, over a year ago? I thought the title sounded familiar....

As sick and twisted these people are, I'm glad this video was taken and posted to the internet for the world to see that this kind of primitive shit still transpires even in this modern day and age.

Utterly disgusting, is all I have to say about the matter.

#27333 - 07/21/09 08:59 PM Re: Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!) [Re: Nemesis]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Disgusting indeed. Yet another example of why organized religion is plague upon the earth. She had to have known that if she was found out something like that would happen. The fact that she went ahead and did it anyways says alot about her, and I don't mean that in an insulting way. Not like anyone has a choice of who they fall in love with, it has a funny way of sneaking up on you.

What I find a little strange is that while the reporter said it was forbidden in Yezidi culture to marry outside of the religion, it was never said the couple was getting married. I guess falling in love with someone outside the religion is just as bad to them.

Something else I find interesting is that the Sunnis retaliated. It is not like the boy was killed. It seems like it would be looked down upon in Muslim culture to date outside of ones own religious sphere, and under any other circumstance the death of that girl probably wouldn't have mattered to them(the Sunnis). That, I think, also says alot.

#27336 - 07/21/09 09:53 PM Re: Yezidi Honor Killing (graphic content!) [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I believe that the law forbidding marriage outside the tribe also prohibits any relationships/close contacts with non-Yezidi. Especially for their women.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 21 queries. Zlib compression disabled.